Bilateral TKR Walking towards a new life!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TracyW

Country
United States United States
Excited about my new life with new trouble-free knees. Wrapped up work (staying 'till the wee hours on Sunday), saw last minute doctors on Monday, lunch with a friend and hair done. Yesterday was house cleaning, removal of old couch and delivery of recliner. Now, all set an ready for a new set of knees! See you on the other side!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®

Good luck to you -- I am 6 weeks out today, and every day is getting better. Just take things slow and easy, and be sure to read everything you can on this site. Best wishes!!

Good luck to you as you seem all set up and can start to focus on your recovery on the other side of the posts.
Pippi

12:07 AM. Surgery lasted for 2.5 hours. In recovery until 8PM. Now up in something called the Telemetry unit for closer observation.

Doc says perfect knees. He said my 2 knees had different needs. My left knee worn neutrally and my right one one from compensating left due to bad right hip. Both had knee cap wear of 19mm which he explained was 5mm less than than normal.

OR staff angelic. Anaesthesiologist night and day from last surgery and explained why my hand was numb afterwards for many months (AV line used for hip surgery). Didn't wake up to sawing (thank goodness; woke up to hip hammering last time!)

Nurses amazing. Beyond amazing. Many had woman who had been nursing for 40+ years. Thanked them each profusely for their care.

They don't use a catheter for bi-lats and when I came out I was full up to my teeth! The cathed me and got two 120ml bags immediately. Oh loved my nurses!

Pain management needs adjusting a bit. Dilaudid caused 5 hour bout with nausea, although just a tummy ache. My roommate not so lucky; she's been vomiting for hours. I think she started on liquid diet too soon. I am quiet happy on a cup of apple juice first since last night. Yummy.

Just received Torinal and Oxycodone so it should be lights out again soon.

Legs look good, not too, too much swelling yet. My little drains are draining away, CPM cuffs squeezing and my Oxy starting to work zzzzz!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @TracyW,
It was lovely to read your positive post after such a gruelling operation, well done! Life might be a bit uncomfortable for you for the next few weeks, but by autumn you will be really pleased that you've had it done. I will tag @Josephine, who will give you some articles to read which will help you, in the mean time read any of the recovery threads on here, you will get lots of ideas of how others managed their recoveries. Do keep in touch to let us know how you are getting on. Take care xxx

Thanks @Ellejay. It's 5AM an I'm determined to stay positive! Their still working on my pain levels. Opted to try one dosage of Dilaudid with nausea meds to see if I can get more comfortable. It's clear the spinal is worn off and I have a good idea of what I'm working with. Knees feel like a truck backed over them. Dilaudid beginning to work. Looking forward to food in the AM.

What great posts! You do sound very positive I hope your pain stays controlled. Your hospital and nurses sound wonderful. I wish you much success! You bilaterals amaze me. What you write will help others get a feel for what will happen. Hope your day is amazing as you sound! We are here for you.

RTKR - 9th December, 2013

Hi @TracyW ... I really admire anyone who has both knees done at once. I am backing up in August for my 2nd TKR after the first last October. Your posts sound very positive and like you are pretty clear what you have ahead of you. They also sound a bit dozy .zzzzzzzz. Those pain drugs will do that to you. I used to be talking to people and just nod off for an hour or so mid-sentence. I hope those pain meds are sorted soon and allow you to be comfortable while recovering the knees. I hope you are as comfortable as you can be after a BTKR over the next few days and you continue to be so positive.

I will keep checking back in to see how you are going. All the very best ... Ellen

congrats 16.jpg
@TracyW, you are now an
4a bilat kneesie.jpg
! You have those articles Ellejay mentioned in your pre op thread. When you feel up to it, it wouldn't hurt to refresh your memory of them.

Take it easy and keep us in the loop. We care.

Sounds like you're off and running---well you know what I mean. :wink:

8:45 PM

Has a busy, sleepy day. I transferred from the Telemetry unit now to the regular ortho floor. Interestingly, 2 of the nurses from my hip surrey are working with me tonight.

It thing I have done so far. I got out of the bed and took 10-12 steps to the door way and back. Did exercises (too painful for now) and CPM machine for 2, very long hours.

Still have pain control issues; apparently taking all the pain away is impossible. So, it's gotten down to a 4 at the best. I understand the first day is the worst and so far it's been true. The hospital staff is wonderful and miy hip nurse Ed is my RN tonight. More angels to heal me!

Moving on now to learning how to "bed pan." There truly is a first time for everything!"

I hope all the May rainbows are warm and comfortable,

Have a good might, Tracy.

From one BTKR alumnus to another one---congratulations! I can now teach you the BTKR "Secret Handshake"!

I am glad to read that yo are up and moving---and I hope you can talk to somebody about getting that pain under control---perhaps some pain management people in the hospital?

Please keep these reports coming---we want to read of how you are doing and keep track of your progress and recovery.

Thank you @referee54, I'd love to learn that handshake! I will speak to the pain control in the in the AM. There must be a way to be more comfortable than I am now. I appreciate your suggestions; I picked up 3 of those cold packs for when I get home.

I understand how frustrating it must be not to be able to get that pain under control. Somebody there has to have access to the pain management folks---or grab your OS by the neck when he comes to see you tomorrow morning.

You will feel much better--not only physically, but also psychologically---when that pain is better managed.

2.41AM. Used bed pan for 2nd time. Good exercise for the ego. Nurses very compassionate. Legs woke up in all the rustling and took another does of Oxy. Will see pain management team in AM and OS to see if I can get more comfortable.

No wire anymore. Drains still in each knee plus IV line just incase. Living on crackers and GA. I can hold that down and settle my tummy. Have arums freshers by my side as well in case I need them.

I really appreciate all the tips I've read on BS. Everything has helped so far. Signing off for now.

Way to go ! Welcome to the otherside. The first week in hindsight is very surreal. Though you may feel coherant now, in about one month you will think back and chuckle on how loaded you are now . Hopefully they get your pain managed quickly. I assume you are going to rehab ? Be cautious of over pushing therapist. Dont be afraid to say "NO !" To anything that will create much swelli ng, which wont take much. And dont let them bend your knee with force. I hope you have your house set up to make recovery easier. Its a tough road, no doubt. Remember the most important strategies in recovery, proper elevation, extensive iceing and arou d the clock medication. Dont miss a dose. Best wishes Iceman

Thanks Iceman! I think today they finally got a plan together for my pain. Short and long acting pain control, although the nausea is still hanging around So I need to ask about that.

I was in the CPM machine exactly once and it shredded me. Now it's just heel slides which I'm grateful for.
PTs seem very reasonable here. I walked to the bathroom, hooray (with assistance :)).

My THR surgery was difficult and I felt like I was disoriented all the time. Now I feel a little more lucid, as I need to keep track of the on demand meds vs. automatically dispensed.

House clean and set up for me when I get home. Splurged for a Golden zero gravity for my knees, but also my other hip. Found out that with a pin change on the underside if the chair, it will lift straight up. So, a big investment for a big return. It's also an alternative sleeping spit to my bed.

Purchased a Don joy ice machine with many little bottles now freezing nicely in my freezer waiting for me to get home. I think I'm all set. Can get good fresh food delivered.

The last piece of good news is that I may be able to get into my first choice rehab hospital. You have to give them a list and they'll let you known what's available on your release day.

Sitting up now in a hip chair for an hour to get the blood moving around. I'll guarantee you as soon as get out; I'll be napping!

Day 3 post op. Legs look much less swollen than I anticipated. Everyone say my color looks good and I've had several deep naps today (thanks Dilauded!).

Went on the CPM machine yesterday for first and only time. They are really uncomfortable devices, the Dr. L's Fellow says no need to that I I can get to 90 degrees by sitting on the edge of the bed or chairs. I have a suspicion that my leg was over stretched causing me a good deal of pain on Thursday night.

Went to the bathroom with walker again today and sat in a hip chair for another hour. It is humbling to take assistance from everyone, but Doctors orders were to be selfish and take care of myself! I am normally taking care of hundred of MoMA visitors and our restaurant staff of 130 individuals daily. So, not a bad RX after all, I am happily waiting to be helped.

The staff has been very kind and patient with me as well. I won't be transferred to a rehab hospital until Monday.

I haven't had a real rest since before my THR, so doing nothing has been a blessing. Yay!

Happy Friday night everyone!
Tracy

Question for the Bone Smart forum members, did you use a CPM machine during your recovery?

No my surgeon does not use them. I did heal slides all day long a few minutes at a time and also walked probably five minutes every two hours in the first couple of weeks. I slowly added on to that. I think you should get a lot of varying responses on the subject!

RTKR - 9th December, 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member