THR Walking hurts my butt!

Whoa. Does icing helps for pain that deep and only associated with exercise?
If exercise is causing pain you are probably doing too much for your new hip. Try backing off the exercise a little and add ice. You need to ice at least 45 minutes, and 60 is better to help with deep joint pain, but it does help. The amount of walking you are doing is not as important as good heel to toe walking. If that requires an assistive device to prevent limping, then you should use one until you can walk without a limp. This early in recovery you need to heal before exercise will help and not slow your recovery.

Checking in at the 4 month mark. All has been well, with some off days where I’ve got some nasty hip pain, but they are usually one -off lasting for a day. However, out of the blue (not associated with any over exertion) I’ve gone three days running with deep bone pain seemingly coming from my entire femur down to just above the knee. Had to revert back to my cane. Totally pain free if I just sit, but kicks in with any movement. Has anyone gone through these kinds of stretches? Also, any literature on the impact of hypercalcimia of THR (I’m going to have parathyroid surgery to cure the issue)?

Hi,
I do not have any info for your questions, but am just reading a lot of
threads here to learn more before my THR (not scheduled yet). I'm
sorry you're having such a rough time, and I hope your new, deep
bone pain goes away ASAP!

@Tallguy.....we don't have any specific information on BoneSmart regarding hypercalcemia and its impact on a hip that's been replaced and is healing. I'm assuming since you are having surgery to "cure the issue" that you've received this diagnosis from one of your doctors and you have some type of growth on one of the parathyroid glands. From what you describe, it doesn't sound like you may have had this condition for a lengthy period of time and I'm glad you are getting treatment. As you've probably read, the condition can cause loss of calcium in your bones as the mineral is released into your bloodstream in excess amounts. The best person to tell you what that might mean for your hip joint would be your orthopedic surgeon, your GP, or the doctor who will be doing your upcoming surgery. There are many factors involved with this diagnosis and your medical team will have the best available knowledge to answer your questions.

It will help to make a list of questions and concerns to have when you talk to any of your doctors. That way you won't forget something. Please let us know how this goes. There will likely be others out there who might have this problem and could benefit from your experience.

Also, any literature on the impact of hypercalcimia of THR (I’m going to have parathyroid surgery to cure the issue)?
HI @Tallguy ,
I'm sorry to hear you have hypercalcaemia, apparently caused by primary hyperparathyroidism.

I had this in the past. A rogue parathyroid gland started leaching the calcium out of my bones, weakening them and giving me high levels of calcium in my blood, which led to the formation of kidney stones. Diagnosis took a while and I had surgeries for kidney stones.

The rogue parathyroid was not malignant and once it was removed, my blood calcium returned to normal, I got no more kidney stones and my bones grew stronger again. I now have normal bone density for my age.

I agree with Jamie, that you need to discuss this with your surgeon.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member