Walker...what kind?

ScottBGKY

Country
United States United States
I need to take a walker with me to surgery. Surgeons ordered a wheeled one but was $185 after insurance. Gonna get my own. Recommendations? Any old walker do?

Well there are two kinds of wheeled walkers: one with two wheels in the front and another with four wheels.

I just ran down my basement to look at the walker I got ... it's the one with two wheels ... you can buy that kind of device all sorts of places. And no, I don't think you're looking for any kind of special model.

Walkers are a dime a dozen! My OS said only 2 wheeled walker and I had plenty of friends to borrow one from. Every thrift store has them, every rescue squad lends them out and just about everyone has one left from their surgery or their parents. Craigslist and Facebook marketplace have plenty too.
I put tennis balls on the back to prevent marking my floors and took them off if I want outside. Keep in mind you're only going to use it for a week or 2 maybe 3.

I agree with Enman85, they are really inexpensive at the thrift stores and my PT's at the hospital recommended the ones with two wheels.
Your surgery will be here soon! I hope the holidays help pass the time for you.

Do some looking around on this site and you'll find a pretty good list of things you might need. You'll have to consider everything from clothing to some aids to make life easier in the first part of recovery.

You might want to check with medical supply stores about rentals. I rented a walker ($25 for the month) and a transfer bench for the tub (same price). I only used the walker for maybe 2 or 3 days before switching to crutches so I'm not sure it was even worth the $25.

I got mine on Ebay...practically brand new..£5 !!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom