Hand Waiting for #2 Trapeziectomy

Good morning,
From what I remember the surgery was not that long but my procedure was different from what you are having done in that a ligament will be taken from my forearm and will be used as a "sling" when the trapezius bone is remov
Is removed to fill in the void, and it assists with regeneration. The prep time in numbing the arm took a while as I recall. If for instance that numbing didn't take total affect, then they may use a general anaesthetic to fall back on. It's unlikely to happen though.

Last time I had issues when I got home in thathat
When I got out of bed in the night ona couple of occasions I passed out, hit my head on basin and hurt my shoulder etc. Therefore as a precaution I am staying in for one night as I have no one at home, except for my cat.

@ Lynne54
Oh dear that really does not sound good that you passed out and being on your own as well it must of been very worrying and more than a reason to stay overnight as a precaution. It’s amazing how our animals can be a comfort when we are unwell etc especially when you live alone. As my husband was with me at the pre op they asked him if he would be at home with me for at least the first few days as I have both knees to be replaced so getting up from furniture etc with one arm isn’t going to happen I do not think. As your procedure is slightly different to mine as I will not be having the ligament removal the surgery time may be less. I hope all goes really well for you this time with the surgery and you have no further complications. Take care and best wishes

Hi @Lynne54
Good luck for your surgery tomorrow I hope it all goes well for you. Please post when you are able to let me know how it went. Best wishes for a great outcome.

Thank you. I have to be at the hospital at 07.30 tomorrow as apparently I am first on the list. Will update you when I am on the other side.

All the best @Lynne54 ! See you on the other side soon!

My trapeziectomy and carpal tunnel surgery went well this morning. I had regional anaesthetic which takes around 20 minutes to administer and take effect. I couldn't see what was going in during the surgery, and only felt some tugging and pulling. My whole arm is still numb and this usually lasts for 8-12 hours. No pain will kick in until after that point which is a bonus. I believe I dozed off a few times during the procedure.

I am in a half plaster cast which covers the surgical area, and the rest is bandages. I will return in about a week for removal of dressings, and will be given exercises to undertake. For me personally and for this type of procedure I would certainly opt for regional anaesthetic rather than a general anaesthetic.

Welcome to the other side @Lynne54 . I agree about the anaesthetic - regional versus GA all the way. If anyone is nervous about being awake they can always ask for slight sedation.

Here's to an uncomplicated recovery!

My trapeziectomy and carpal tunnel surgery went well this morning. I had regional anaesthetic which takes around 20 minutes to administer and take effect. I couldn't see what was going in during the surgery, and only felt some tugging and pulling. My whole arm is still numb and this usually lasts for 8-12 hours. No pain will kick in until after that point which is a bonus. I believe I dozed off a few times during the procedure.

I am in a half plaster cast which covers the surgical area, and the rest is bandages. I will return in about a week for removal of dressings, and will be given exercises to undertake. For me personally and for this type of procedure I would certainly opt for regional anaesthetic rather than a general anaesthetic.

Good evening @Lynne54
Great to hear that all went well with the surgery and the regional went well for you again. I am defiantly going to ask for it as it seems a lot more straight forward and the bonus of no pain for a while. I take it you are in hospital for the night as a precaution. When you go back for the dressings to be removed will you go into another plaster cast? I am very pleased it all went well for you and I am sure you are glad you are on the other side. My turn next although I am starting to wonder when as I have not got me date yet which was discussed as being sometime in January. Have a goodnight and I hope you do not have too much pain when the numbness wears off. Take care and post when you can. Best wishes.

The pain has been off the scale since last night, and I have been trialled on various medications as there are some that do not agree with me. Morphine did not work but made me dizzy, light headed and sick. I am now on codeine and paracetamol which is helping. My BP is a bit erratic which is the same issue I had when I had my hip replacement, and that is why I was kept in last night. Previously I passed out at home a couple of times after my right hand surgery.
My arm is in a large foam sling and is hooked up to a drip holder to keep it elevated. Sleep was a bit erratic. I have a half plaster cast which covers the surgery area only, and lots of bandages.

I hope to be allowed home today but that will be subject to my BP and adequate pain relief.

This has been a painful experience this time compared to the last trapeziectomy in 2021, but the benefits are good long term.

Since starting this, the pain has eased significantly, my BP is stable, and I am at home having a decent cup of tea.

@Lynne54 Welcome home! Well done on getting that pain and BP controlled. Sometime tricky! Hope all stays stable and you get a bit of rest.

I had a good night's sleep even with my hand and arm pointing upwards, strapped to my headboard. It has certainly helped with the swelling and i had no pain at all this morning. Moving around now has triggered a few twinges, but I can put up with that. I am only taking paracetamol now but will revert to the cocodamol if necessary.

I am so glad I have had the surgery, having had my other hand done in March 2021. It can be a lengthy recovery time but the end result is worth it.

Sounds like you are off to a very good start @Lynne54 ! Hang in there. You know that hand just needs time to heal.

Good to see you are healing @Lynne75
Boy, that sleep position and I thought hips were tough.:unsure:
Your positive attitude is a big plus in getting through this tough part...
Healing hugs XXX

@Lynne54...Hi Lynne. I am considering the LRTI surgery for my left hand.
I live alone, am pretty healthy...no other illnesses/diseases/impairments.
What can I expect in the way of managing "living" during the recovery period? Can you give a kind of "Play by Play" of getting through teh first few weeks? I don't mean pain management. I mean things like:
How do I floss my teeth (brushing is not a problem...flossing takes two hands).
How do I dress (Buttoning a shirt, or putting one on over my head by myself, waht about a bra? No Bra?).
How do you open a jar, a can(tin), a container of milk, how do you butter toast or spread jam on anything?
What about socks and shoes (no doubt impossible to tie laces)
Do you see what I mean?
How do you do day-today things with only one hand?
Can you give me any advice along the lines of:
"Be sure you do [this] BEFORE the surgery"
"Be sure you have [this] in the house."
"Be sure your arrange for [this]" etc
Thanks --marie

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Marie54 ,
Apologies for the delay in replying. I will try and answer your questions as best I can.
I bought some flossing "sticks" which have a piece of floss fixed between two points which were fine. Opening jars was difficult,but I bought a jar opener which I put round the lid with my good hand, and put the jar itself under my arm. It's not too bad if the jar has already been opened once. I wore clothing that was easy to just pull over my head, and even did my bra up first and then put it on in my same way. It wasn't ideal but it worked. Socks I managed with one hand but you will be able to use your fingers of your operated hand too. Buttering toast etc was difficult but I managed it with my good hand and stabilised the toast with fingers of operated hand.

Things I found difficult were washing/drying under the arms, changing my bed, etc. Preparing vegetables is difficult. I did prepare some meals for my freezer before surgery so that I could just pop them in the. microwave.

As your fingers will be "free" I think you will find that some things are not too bad, and you should be able to manage them with the assistance of your fingers. It's amazing how much you miss the use of your thumbs but the surgery is very worthwhile in the long run.

Apologies for the delay in replying. If you need anything else just ask away. .
Best wishes,
Lynne

Last edited by a moderator:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads