THR VSlowLife's Recovery Thread

Yay for the shower! You feel so much better afterward, but it is exhausting the first couple times. Good to read the log leg is lightening up and that PT went easy on you. I hope you sleep well tonight.
@VSlowLife

:happydance: Finally ate a normal size breakfast for me this morning! Also, only took 1/2 my pain medicine this morning. Still icing. I am on Meloxicam for a month, per my OS, and that maybe helping with the pain from swelling. Day 4 was better than Day 3. Today, Day 5 is looking promising, too, for being better than yesterday.

Yesterday, I finally felt something different in my hip, in terms of the new implant. I think it is learning to move as I learn to carefully move.

PT was impressed I could move my knee so well, yesterday. I'm her first “northern approach“ patient, she said.

RN was very impressed with how well prepared and informed I was. I mentioned this group for helping me.

I had a choice of five nursing agencies. I selected the only one that had mentioned a training program in hip replacement for their staff. Both RN and PT were very thorough. It was difficult to have them come see me on Day 4 in terms of my fatigue. One came after the other.

I have slide-in-slide out shoes, but I think my PT person wants me to lean more towards the safety socks from the hospital. The hospital gave me two pair. May try it later today.

I'm so glad to hear you're feeling better with each day!:yes: I wonder though why your PT would want you in socks rather than shoes. I also used the slide-in shoes (skechers?) after my surgery, even around the house. I found that I needed the extra support while using the walker and crutches, and didn't feel as confident walking in socks or slippers. Maybe the socks will be better for you, but I would do as I felt comfortable, in spite of what PT says.

I agree with Stripey. I prefer shoes over the surgical socks because I like the arch support and extra skid resistant bottom. Also for me the shoes are easier to get on and off.Your PT was impressed with your good range of motion of your knee? Great to hear. My knee has not been a problem for me but then I have a bionic knee from TKR four years ago on same side as my hip replacement.
Maybe a natural knee on same side swells up and hurts more after a hip replacement?
So glad to hear that you are doing so well and no longer have a stomach issue. One more day forward to full recovery!!
Best wishes
Deb

I wonder though why your PT would want you in socks rather than shoes.
I think it is because she saw me toeing in more, even with sliders. She wants me to use a shoe horn. It seems my right leg toes in more, now that I have a correct-shape femoral head, or maybe I learned it as part of my compensation, pre- surgery? She would rather I toe out, than in. I have to keep a towel rolled up between my legs when resting, too.

The socks are skid resistant. Colder than than wearing sliders and socks. Probably better for me to correct the toeing in, I tend to do, on the right side. It’s a no- no for me.

OK, not sure how the socks vs. shoes affects the toeing in, but let me know how it goes! I'm toeing in slightly on the left side so I'll be interested to hear if one or the other makes it easier for you to track in a straight line.

Hi @VSlowLife Here's a differing point of view...
I'm for the non skid socks initially while you're in the house, but for a different reason. I had Sketchers and different slip on shoes. What frightened me early on was that I caught the squishy toe of my shoe on the carpet once and almost tripped. It scared the you know what out of me. I actually did it in the PT hallway on my first outing from home and first time wearing shoes post op.
I was practicing heel-toe walking through my PT's guidance. If I ever get my other hip done, I'll wear the non skid socks again until my first outing or until I'm feeling comfortable on my feet.

Good to hear you're eating! As crazy as it sounds you do get comfortable with your current situation rather quickly and you'll find yourself feeling stronger and more confident week by week. Pick a day of the week that you look back and assess how far you've come since that day last week. It's encouraging. Best advice...be patient and take everything slow.

Happy Tuesday!

I think it is because she saw me toeing in more, even with sliders. She wants me to use a shoe horn. It seems my right leg toes in more, now that I have a correct-shape femoral head, or maybe I learned it as part of my compensation, pre- surgery? She would rather I toe out, than in. I have to keep a towel rolled up between my legs when resting, too.

Wanted to address this also. Following was my experience -
I had what they refer to as external rotation, as my joint deteriorated, I toed outward. My surgeon told me he would correct it via surgery. I was disappointed to hear my mom tell me she noticed I was still doing it to some degree post op. I brought it up at my first post op and was told it would correct itself which it did.

When it came to shoes I was advised slip on, not slip in. My OS wanted support and nothing that might let me slip out or make me stumble. I used the long shoehorn to get my shoes on. Toe in was how I walked a little to start with on my right side. As my muscles recovered my toe in went away.

Sounding good! I found some scribble notes today from early in my recovery...I had actually measured my leg circumference, just above the knee, on both legs to compare when the swelling got bad! :shocked:. I got worried and just wanted to track how bad it really was, and follow when it started to get better. At 5 days out there was a 2 inch difference. By 10 days out the swelling was going down and less than 1 inch difference. Gave me hope when my op side felt like Kim Kardashian. You're on the way! :egypdance:. Ps, I toed out and had to work on that through PT. It eventually resolved with some concentration. I also loved my Skechers slip on ballerina pumps, but can understand the trip hazards of shoes and perhaps the appeal of slipper socks with nonslip treads. Whatever works for you!

I had actually measured my leg circumference, just above the knee, on both legs to compare when the swelling got bad!
Not a bad idea, thank you. Amazingly, the swelling has gone down quite a bit. It Is easier to move now. I do not need the leg lifter to lay in my bed, although most of the time I am in the recliner.

I can see how walking has to be done slowly and incrementally, or else the pain level goes right up.

Sounds like you're settling in really well. Just be careful with your Skechers, depending on how much tread and what type. I noticed quite a few times pre surgery that when walking on floors like grocery stores or airports that they had a tendency to grab. And while you're still relearning your gait and trying to remember to pick up your feet after limping this could possibly cause a fall. And we'll have no falling! :happydance: :egypdance:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom