THR VSlowLife's Recovery Thread

Welcome to Recovery @VSlowLife ,

I've copied a couple of posts from your pre-op thread ans started this recovery thread for you.

If you'd like another thread title, just post what you'd like and we'll change it for you.

Here's your post-op reading:

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. Try to follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Congrats! Nice to see you pop in. Wishing you comfort as you begin healing.
Hugs coming at you :loveshwr:
@VSlowLife

Alrighty, surgery is done, now on to recovery! Sleep and get as much rest as you can it's great for healing. Hopefully your pain is well managed and they're keeping you stocked with ice. Hope you have a restful night. :sleep: :zzz:

The forum will be here when you get to it...sleep when possible, tell folks taking care of you what you need, and know we are thinking of you.

Healing mojo coming at you. :friends:

:happydance: Glad to hear from you and that you are sounding well.

Rest up, no rush to post right now. Unless you really want to..... then we'll be here.

Hi all,

Thank you for the good wishes and support. I got nauseated. Could not eat much.

Unfortunately once I started walking to the bathroom, a little walk with PT, my pain was much worse than before surgery.

I asked for extra ice. The tylenol, tramadol was not touching the pain. Finally will get something more appropriate, soon.

I hope you are resting more comfortably by now. Be sure to ask for something for the nausea too. Meds can help with that and it makes such a difference in your overall outlook. Here's to a peaceful first night with your new hip :friends::sleep:

Thank you all. They did give me anti nausea med in my IV.
Must have worn off. Bye bye dinner. More anti-nausea med. Finally had a strong pain medicine. It started to work, and then I lost dinner.
Tomorrow will be a better day I hope.

It's over! Sorry to hear about pain and nausea, but I'm confident they will both be under control very soon. I ate like no tomorrow straight after but my issue for 3 days was low blood pressure causing dizziness whenever I tried to get up....so mostly rested except for PT twice a day (if I could) which did the trick. Rest up my dear, your poor body needs it. We're here for you when you are feeling up to posting more. :sleep::sleep::sleep:

Thank you for your words of encouragement!
I slept for 3 hours. Yay! Then up for an hour and slept another 3 hours. I am getting better at using the commode. Log leg. Getting help and using bath robe belt. Back to Sleep.

Ugh. Lost contents of stomach again! And my blood pressure was 89/40 something. Drank water and sat up. Up to 100/50. Will give me more Zofran, soon.

Sorry you are nauseated...hopefully as the effects of the anaesthesia wears off, it will subside soon.
((Hugs))

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member