THR VSlowLife's Pre-op Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like you are quite ready. I like the music selections. There is always the last minute worries that nothing change the date and move it out. For me it was the 1.5hrs it takes to get to the hospital and weather or anything happening on the road. I know both my husband and I were relieved once we hit the waiting room and of course we were early by 30m but that was great - we were in the hospital.

I hope you have a peaceful week end.

Just hoping my surgeon, caregivers and friends stay healthy. More worried about the date changing.

That's the big variable. We plan and do our part but still there are the things we have no control over.

Next week at this time you will be updating us on your recovery and listening to your playlist :)

leejaa , BruceH, Layla, I have a hotel booked for the day before because I was told to be ready at 5:30 am and on my online hospital chart, it said my surgery was at 7:15 am. Now it only says ”To be Determined.” Is the doctor sick?

I need to call Monday and figure out why that changed. If it gets rescheduled to 1pm, I do not need a hotel room, just a parking garage.

Nothing is perfect. “Life is what happens while we are busy making plans,” John Lennon.

I really miss dancing my heart out to music.

Hi @VSlowLife
I'm sure your surgeon isn't sick. I think it's common for the OS's office to schedule a surgery time, but not confirm that time until the evening before your surgery. At least that was my experience and I feel I recall others experiencing the same.

My surgery was my surgeon's second of the day and I was called into surgery a little over an hour before my scheduled time. That's why they have you there ready to roll. I'm sure they like to schedule them tight and some may go quicker than expected and some may last a little longer than anticipated.

I understand the situation with the hotel room. Consider resigning yourself to the hotel room so you're not stressing about it. Then if you happen to find you won't need it after all, cancel it if you're able. It's likely it will all work out according to the plans you've been counting on.

Have a peaceful evening.

It’s getting close! What a great plan for your surgery day! If I had to do it all over again (perish the thought!) I would make sure they didn’t “snow” me before they took me into the OR. I was just relaxed and calm for the following arthroscope and it was great meeting the team in the OR and asking last minute questions about the set up before they sedated me. Yes, it would have been fun to sing a theme song. That’s really my style as well. :) Praying everyone stays healthy and everything goes according to plan. Have a peaceful weekend and try not to worry too much. You’ve definitely got this. Pat.

Sounds familiar Marianne. My surgeon told me 9:45 but said the hospital has final say. When the hospital called the business day before surgery they said 5:45 for a 7:45 surgery.

Sounds like your mind is at ease now, about the "to be determined" part on your online chart. I had a similar experience, the surgeon knows he goes in early and is aiming for you to be his 5:30 am surgery but the operating room has the final say.
You are in the hardest part now, worrying about staying healthy and the surgery staff staying healthy.
It will go as planned and you will do wonderfully!!

I believe. :praying:

Last edited:
Next question as I am packing my bag. Do they allow you to wear your own PJs at some point. Hospital gowns are so short sleeved. How do you stay warm? Just bring a robe? It’s been so long since I needed to stay overnight.

Next question as I am packing my bag. Do they allow you to wear your own PJs at some point. Hospital gowns are so short sleeved. How do you stay warm? Just bring a robe? It’s been so long since I needed to stay overnight.

I was kept in the no modesty gown until I left. It made it easier for everyone except my wife who at least wanted me to wear underwear due to all the unintentional flashing every time I was helped up (it was the least of my concerns). The nurses said no, it would just make everything more difficult and they were correct. It was hard enough calling someone to spot me when I got up (I wasn't allowed to get up by myself) and having them stay in the room until I was done with my business. It would of been more cumbersome to be dealing with extra clothes.

They did put me in a robe when I went to the "obstacle course" for occupational therapy to teach me stairs, walking, etc.

I was kept warm with warm blankets and the hospital room itself was probably 71 degrees. They were always offering a new warm blanket.

The hospital stay was very comfortable. Maybe the meds helped, lol.

Last edited:
At my hospital the surgery time is not decided till the day before and it depends on ages of patients and if any are diabetics - they will be done first or other health issues that might require them to be fasting the least amount of time. We also considered getting a hotel room if the weather was going to be nasty just to be close to the hospital. Luckily with two January surgeries and the one in November the weather was nice. Always good to be prepared and less stress getting there with longer drive.

At my hospital you are in a gown day of surgery. My surgery was not the first of the day so no PT that day - just stayed in my room. The next morning before anything else you wash up and put on your own clothes for PT. Even if staying another day, you get dressed for the day and then can put on nightgown or PJs for the night. I would suggest nightgown (shortish one) as it is easier to put on then pjs for the night and when checking surgical site it is easy to access. The other thing my hospital suggested was packing all your items in a zip lock bag for each day from underwear to clothing and labeling them 1,2,3. I always packed easy to put on and comfy and packed 3 bags- did not use them as I was out the next day but then they were handy at home also. They just wanted to make sure you were set if you needed to stay longer.

I wore two of their gowns, one opening to the rear and the other one opening to the front. I never felt chilled, that I can recall. Maybe bring a nice cozy cardigan along?

@BruceH I am laughing, last year my poor guy had open heart surgery,, the flashing that was going on!! I know your wife's pain.. :flabber:

I was kept in the no modesty gown until I left. It made it easier for everyone except my wife who at least wanted me to wear underwear due to all the unintentional flashing every time I was helped up (it was the least of my concerns). The nurses said no, it would just make everything more difficult and they were correct. It was hard enough calling someone to spot me when I got up (I wasn't allowed to get up by myself) and having them stay in the room until I was done with my business. It would of been more cumbersome to be dealing with extra clothes.
I'm glad you felt this way,. Isn't it supposed to be about what's best for the patient, though, not what's more convenient for the staff?

I wore the hospital's backless gown until my IV was removed. From then on, I wore my own, short nightgown, with a pair of granny pants underneath, for modesty. There's no way I would have worn that revealing hospital gown.

I was in a hospital gown until I got the all clear from my OS agreeing to let me go home. Then got dressed in my tshirt, sports bra and slide on shorts to go home in. It was summer when I was in so if course AC was on, didn't really cause a problem. I wouldn't have been able to wear a sweater or bathrobe with the IV in. I only did a little walk in the halls with the PT but the gown was closed enough in the back. And, depending on what point in the adventure that was I may not have cared! :heehee: :wave:

You've got this, just try to relax and enjoy the next few days.

Thank you all for your help with questions and your good wishes! I most sincerely appreciate them.

Yes this is the final stretch :fingersx:

I have been busy doing final preparations. My bottom freezer is ordered now for easy access to my frozen water bottles for the Polar cooler, and back up frozen gel packs should the pump fail, etc.

List made for dog sitter, etc.

:chuckmarch: :happydance: :egypdance: :thumb::friends:. Smile!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties