THR VSlowLife's Pre-op Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you! I did make my frozen meals thanks to the suggestions by @lovetocookandsew ! I have revisited that thread.

Seems like the yogurts have a long shelf life in the refrigerator, maybe that would work?

Maybe if I mixed some crunchy granola with shredded coconut, in the yogurt, that could work as a healthy dessert. Thank you!

I make a healthy-ish pumpkin pie. It's crustless, and I use Splenda instead of sugar. I use either regular evaporated milk, or 2%; the carbs are the same but there is a calorie difference between the two. I've not frozen this one, either baked or un-baked, but you could try it and see how it works. I also top it with canned, sugar-free whipped cream that I find at WalMart-it's their brand and it's actually pretty good. (https://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Value-Sugar-Free-Whipped-Heavy-Cream-6-5-oz/509843330)

Here's the recipe if you're interested.....

Sugar free crustless pumpkin pie

• 3/4 cup Splenda (72 calories, 18 carbs)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tsp.pumpkin pie spice
  • 2 large eggs (143 calories)
  • 1 can (15 oz.) 100% pure pumpkin puree (NOT pumpkin pie mix!) (145 calories, 22 net carbs)
  • 1 can (12 fl. oz.) 2 % evaporated milk (300 calories, 36 carbs)
  • Total calories-660per pie, 110 calories per slice (1/6th of pie)
  • Total carbs-76 per pie, 12.6 per slice (1/6th of pie)
  • Total fiber-11 grams per pie (1.8 per slice)
Whisk eggs, mix in spices, Splenda and salt. Add pumpkin and whisk. Add milk, a little at a time until well blended.

Pour into a pie dish sprayed with PAM or another similar spray. Bake 15 minutes at 425, then lower to 350 and bake another 30-40 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on rack 2 hours; serve or refrigerate pie. Top with whipping cream if you like.

For at least the first couple of weeks, all I wanted to eat was a cup of soup and some toast. I did try to have a poached egg on toast for breakfast, so I was getting some protein, but I just couldn't face proper meals.

Thank you! I did order some healthy canned soups, because my freezer is getting pretty full. I do like eggs, too.

Maybe get an extra can of that. :heehee:

Yes :loll:I hear it works very well! It’s in my cupboard.

I made a hearty einkorn bread from scratch with my daughter, and I will be eating that before and surgery, too.

As Celle described, I had little to no appetite either for the first week, but soups, cold canned peaches, and grapes were my go to.

I had gotten some high protein Ensure so I drank a can of that each day until they were gone. I didn’t have much appetite those first days either and I felt this was a way I could get enough nutrition.

I've been home a week. Like others have said most food isn't very interesting right now. My personal cravings have been for toast with peanut butter, chicken soup heavy on the broth, eggs, and dark green salads, love those dark greens right now.

I've eaten other things that taste good but I haven't really craved them. I'd add prune juice to your list if it isn't already there.

:bow: Thank you. Adding to my shopping list for next week, per your suggestions.

My personal cravings have been for toast with peanut butter, chicken soup heavy on the broth, eggs, and dark green salads, love those dark greens right now.

I've eaten other things that taste good but I haven't really craved them. I'd add prune juice to your list if it isn't already there.

I am not normally an oatmeal eater but found instant oatmeal tasty and easy to digest first thing in AM before pain pills. They come in different flavors and I love cinnamon so tended to go for that or maple syrup flavoring for whatever reason. Also had plain unsalted saltines to take with pain meds (just one or two). Also make sure you are drinking. Water, tea and for me what worked was Gatorade 0 as it had no calories but flavored and in a bottle so I could not spill it plus easy for me to get myself since I could toss it into my walker bag. I think I had a bottle next to each chair I used plus bed.

I was not on pain meds (Dilaudid) for long (I think it was 3-4days) with this last surgery so appetite came back fairly soon (not huge hunger or anything but desire for tasty food). The odd thing was my desire for certain desserts - had craving for coconut cream pie (luckily I do not eat pie crust but the filling), and orange souffle (husband makes these) and he also makes lemon meringue pie. I was amazed that eating these I only gained 3-4# and they came off easily. I did have some pepitas and found these tasty also to munch on.

@VSlowLife - Each time I was in the hospital for my hip replacement surgeries, I had a visit (and handouts) from the dietician. They really stress making sure that you get sufficient protein as it apparently helps with healing.

Throughout my whole hip replacement journey from initial symptoms (March) to the actual diagnosis (August) I found that I lost weight due to pain. I actually still don't have a great appetite, but I make an effort to eat small amounts trying to include appropriate amounts of protein. Don't worry, I'm probably now at my proper weight of 130 lbs. at 5'5".

I do have an air fryer, and you can actually prepare lots of healthy items easily. I did stock up my freezer with healthier brands of dinners, etc... However, a prepackaged frozen chicken breast or a piece of frozen salmon that I buy at Sam's Club prepared in the air fryer with roasted potatoes (also prepared in the air fryer) with some frozen microwaved vegetables are easy to prepare.

Breakfast is usually oatmeal with frozen berries and walnuts or my go-to peanut butter toast with a drizzle of honey.

Boiled eggs (kept ready in the refrigerator), slices of natural nitrate-free ham or turkey slices wrapped in a piece of string cheese with a piece of fruit are usually what I eat mid-day.

I usually try to prepare a healthy dinner. I hope this gives you some ideas...

Great ideas! Thank you. I have oatmeal, but I also bought some farina, because it is so high in iron. I learned it can be microwave cooked.

I think I had a bottle next to each chair I used plus bed.
Water, tea and for me what worked was Gatorade 0 as it had no calories but flavored and in a bottle so I could not spill it plus easy for me to get myself since I could toss it into my walker bag.
Added to my list.
Coconut cream pie sounds divine, even without the crust. So does le one meringue pie, with all those egg whites. I am putting them on my wish list.

Your husband sounds like the male version of Ina Garten! Lucky you!

Pepitas actually have protein. I found a recipe in Fine cooking. I could make these today. I have all the ingredients.

I will look for a plain cracker to have handy. Such great tips! :loveshwr:

You are the first person I have come across to mention a dietitian gave you advice to take home. How wonderful, and thank you for sharing :wave:

Each time I was in the hospital for my hip replacement surgeries, I had a visit (and handouts) from the dietician.

We actually eat similar breakfasts. Instead of honey, I have low sugar, organic strawberry jam, with almond butter, or banana slices.

I like your idea of wrapping the string cheese with a healthy sliced meat. Excellent and easy. I love fruits, too. Also a fan of boiled eggs. A great snack.

It sounds like you use your air fryer quite a bit. I will need to look into that. I would love to be 130 again.

Any suggestions about a specific food you found useful to have at home post surgery? Maybe a healthy dessert-type food? I have healthy frozen dinners made up. I made and froze a pumpkin pie. Vitamin A and protein. Thinking what else could freeze well and be healthy?

Look up No Bake Protein Energy Bites. Easy Peasy!
Tons of different recipes online. Many healthy options to make and store in the freezer for when you want something sweet. Very often they contain some type of nut butter, dark chocolate or nuts in addition to other ingredients.

Counting down....only one week away, finally! I know you're prepared. Hopefully you're not feeling too anxious.
You're going to love the result. :yes: :happydance: Wishing you comfort as you wait out these final days before surgery.
@VSlowLife

@Layla Oh yes! Thank you for the reminder. I have the countdown on my calendar.

@BruceH Oh yes! :heehee: I figured out how to use a wire hanger to move my hand held shower head, to spray me on the slider bench so I will not need to lean forward. I have it hooked onto my curtain rod.

My shower curtain is fitted to the slider bench and the outside curtain has a 14” hem to make getting in and out easy.

My dog has a big, raised feeding/watering table and I elevated it further with boxes.

If they allow me to walk into the OR, like my last surgery, I am going to do a little dance. I think it’s going to be “Na Na Na Na Hey Hey-ey Goodbye...”
bad hip. Then say hello to my surgical team and thank them for doing what they do.

I have my victory music to play in my head when I start walking with PT in the hospital. “Classical Gas” by Mason Williams. It’s an instrumental. Starts out slow and gradually gets better to a wonderful crescendo with an orchestra. Theme for my recovery.

When I get further into recovery, “Walk This Way” by Steve Tyler and Run DMC. :fingersx:

Just hoping my surgeon, caregivers and friends stay healthy. More worried about the date changing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562