BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

Volleyball after TKR?

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Perth TKR, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Perth TKR

Perth TKR new member

Australia Australia
    Hi Heather I hope you get this message.
    I am a passionate beach volleyballer and am seriously considering a TKR on my right knee. I have seen no evidence of anyone returning to volleyball after a TKR and was wondering if you ever returned to VB and if so does the TKR make it hard to play ?
    Thanks in advance
    Pete

2. Pumpkln

Pumpkln FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    @Perth TKR ,
    I have moved your first post to your own pre op thread. @hbpeyton18 has not been on BoneSmart since 2016 and is unlikely to respond. I have tagged her for you if she happens to check in on BoneSmart.
    I have given your thread the title "Volleyball after TKR?" to bring like minded members to your thread.
    If you would like a different title post it here, a Moderator will change the title for you.

Here is an article about Sports after TJR: knee replacements not harmed by most sports .

Here is your copy of the Knee Recovery Guidelines, the articles are short and will not take long to read.
    Be sure to read the last link about Amazing Knee Recoveries.

New BoneSmart members like you are in various stages of their journey to joint replacement. Making the decision whether or not to have surgery and preparing for surgery can be easier once you have done your research and know what lies ahead. Here are some tools that can help you decide what is best for you.

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:

Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic knee?
    Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
    BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
    Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:

Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
    Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
    Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

Regardless of where you are in the process, the website and app My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:

Stories of amazing knee recoveries

3. maryo52

maryo52 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I gave up tennis which I LOVE, for the sake of my knees. I have a bionic knee and the other one is OK but not great and I don't want it to need replacement. At my age I play it safe. But I know others with knee replacements who are still playing tennis quite happily.

4. zab

zab junior member

Australia Australia
    Volleyball needs a lot of quick movements and turns with plenty of impact on the knees I’d hazard a guess it’s not something your OS would recommend you returning too, have you asked? You are still young and will hopefully put a lot of mileage on your new knee like everyone else on here I’m not a medical professional so can only offer unsupported advice but I have a feeling I know what your OS would say to you.

5. PolarBear60

PolarBear60 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I think it depends how competitive you want to be for volleyball. A casual game at a picnic with forgiving friends is probably fine. More competitive that that will depend on curent abilty and how your recovery goes. I wouldn't rule it out. If you're a spiker, the jumping and landing might be an issue. Diving, done properly would probably be okay, but I hope you are more spry at getting up off a floor than I am! The real issue is the twisting associated with getting into proper position and the getting up off the floor once you dive after a ball. Discuss it with your surgeon. He/she may or may not have suggestions for you.

My surgeon does motocross personally and is a team physician for a local college team, so he has excellent insight into these things. Your surgeon's experience may vary.