Lounge Doctor

TKR Vinca’s hinged knee recovery

Gingerbread

Country
United States United States
How are you doing? Has your pain subsided to where it is manageable?
Hoping all is well :)

OP
OP
V

Vinca

Country
@Gingerbread, thanks for asking! I should post an update. There’s a lot to type and I guess I’ve been putting it off. I’ve been keeping up with your progress though!
So, I quit taking Percocet 5 days after surgery, just to see if there was any difference in pain levels. Guess what? No difference. I used Tylenol and an occasional ibuprofen until I saw the OS at 10 days to get my staples out. He gave me a prescription for for lortab to try. I’m just taking it at bed time though as the pain has diminished quite a bit. I’m at 3 weeks today.
I have a PT coming to the house twice/week. I do his exercises when he’s here but (just between us), I don’t do them much otherwise. He hasn’t hurt me or asked me to do anything too painful. The other day I did six inch steps. It was hard and I was exhausted after that, but happy I was able to do it.
The foot drop continues to be a problem. I’m getting an orthotic brace made- it will be a few more weeks until I get it. I’m wearing a little ankle brace for now. When I lift my foot, it just dangles. I can’t flex it to be parallel to the ground. No way to have a normal gait while I have this problem. I have lots of tingling in the numb areas (front of shin and top of foot) and I hope that means nerves are trying to reconnect.
My OS said that, when one has a valgus (?) knee, the peroneal nerve can shorten. When he did the tkr and straightened my leg, it stretched the nerve too much and it quit working. It’s rare, but it happens.

OP
OP
V

Vinca

Country
Oh, forgot to say that lack of appetite has been a problem. I’ve lost 9 lbs in the three weeks since the surgery. I’m trying to eat, I know I need protein, but nothing tastes good, so I only eat a few bites at a time. Then I’m nauseous.
I will keep trying. (I still have my spare tire- not much chance of starving to death! Lol)

Gingerbread

Country
@Gingerbread, thanks for asking! I should post an update. There’s a lot to type and I guess I’ve been putting it off. I’ve been keeping up with your progress though!
So, I quit taking Percocet 5 days after surgery, just to see if there was any difference in pain levels. Guess what? No difference. I used Tylenol and an occasional ibuprofen until I saw the OS at 10 days to get my staples out. He gave me a prescription for for lortab to try. I’m just taking it at bed time though as the pain has diminished quite a bit. I’m at 3 weeks today.
I have a PT coming to the house twice/week. I do his exercises when he’s here but (just between us), I don’t do them much otherwise. He hasn’t hurt me or asked me to do anything too painful. The other day I did six inch steps. It was hard and I was exhausted after that, but happy I was able to do it.
The foot drop continues to be a problem. I’m getting an orthotic brace made- it will be a few more weeks until I get it. I’m wearing a little ankle brace for now. When I lift my foot, it just dangles. I can’t flex it to be parallel to the ground. No way to have a normal gait while I have this problem. I have lots of tingling in the numb areas (front of shin and top of foot) and I hope that means nerves are trying to reconnect.
My OS said that, when one has a valgus (?) knee, the peroneal nerve can shorten. When he did the tkr and straightened my leg, it stretched the nerve too much and it quit working. It’s rare, but it happens.
I'm sorry to hear about your foot drop! What a terrible side effect. I also had valgus deformity corrected. My surgeon did not go into any detail about possible complications. Does this mean you will have to walk with a shoe/slipper to have normal gait distribution? Praying you have a quick resolution to this and the numbness/tingling. I find when I touch/scratch the left side of my incision, I feel it on the right side tingling...our nerves are so odd!
As for PT...I feel I have overdone it as well. Going to take it easy today and tomorrow. Stretching and some leg lifts but not the whole gamut. My biggest thing is trying to get to 90 degrees flexion. I have done it a few times but then 99 times out of 100 I cannot get back to 90 degrees. That tight band feeling is the real deal!
Hang in there! I'm rooting for you & I'm commiserating as well. Hope you can enjoy some of these waning summer days. :surfer:

OP
OP
V

Vinca

Country
Well, foot drop continues to be a problem. I’m getting my custom orthotic next week and I really hope it helps! I have to walk with an exaggerated step to keep my toes from dragging; there’s no way I can walk with a normal gait. It’s hard to wear shoes because I can’t hold my toes rigid so they curl up inside the shoe. (Anyone remember putting shoes on a toddler? It’s like that.) I wear sandals, but socks and sandals looks ridiculous. Oh well, maybe the brace will help.
I’m having an incredible amount of nerve pain in my foot and shin. It’s weird- the skin is numb, but there’s a constant tingling with some shooting pains and crawling sensation. It’s ok during the day but really hard to sleep. Yesterday I picked up some menthol cream, some aspercreme with lidocaine, and will try those tonight. I’ve already tried heating pad, ice pack, and massage. My OS gave me an Rx for elavil. It didn’t help much and made me bone-tired the next day. So I quit taking that.
I’ve lost 13 lbs in the six weeks since surgery. I have constant nausea and no appetite. Maybe that’s due to the constantly zinging foot? I don’t know- it’s very discouraging.
All that said, my knee is coming along nicely. PT took it easy on me. OS said it looked like I was about 110 and 0 ext, which is great, I think. Knee aches sometimes, but it’s not too bad. I’m just so sad that I still can’t walk normally and I’ve read that it may take a year for the foot drop to resolve. Or it might never improve.
Seeing OS next week- gonna ask for something for nausea and nerve pain...
I’m still reading along here and wishing you all well!

New

OneStep App

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
hikertina
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom