TKR Vickie's Knee Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brownie51

post-grad
Country
United States United States
Cathy was your cortisone shot in the SI joint the same procedure that Vickie had? I was thinking the SI shot would just be cortisone shot directly into that joint, not something where they have to give you sedation. Just curious!

OP
OP
P

Poof

senior
Marianne,
If you are a weenie like me, they always offer something to get you to be still. In my case, it was a small amount of Versed. I was awake and answering questions, but really didn't care what the doc did. My injection was in the sacroiliac joint.

Vickie

OP
OP
P

Poof

senior
I'm just about 3 months out from my LTKR and my knee is still feeling stiff. Is that something that will eventually go away or is it a permanent thing? I feel it mainly when I'm sitting or start to stand up. Thanks for any comments!

60mom

senior
I am 5 months and still have it. It can be frustrating but I think you have to expect some of that for up to a year and I think I heard some say if they over do it can get stiff even after a year. You had an MUA so you have to go from that date not your TKR date for recovery. That puts you at 3 wks! I had a lot of pain after my MUA so things got really stretched during the procedure. My recovery after was a bit worse then right after my TKR. My stiffness did improve as far as being able to bend my knee easier but it does get stiff if I do anything it doesn't like, which can be many things, ugh! Have you tried the elevating, icing, backing off activities and medicating? I would try it for a few days and see if it improves. It maybe your doing too much, especially since it has not been that long since your MUA.

Josephine

NURSE DIRECTOR EMERITUS
Nurse Director
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
gold
aflagsforworship.co.uk_jo_pic_images_mergedere.jpg

OP
OP
P

Poof

senior
60mom,
I think that you mean well with your advice, but saying that I'm back to 3 weeks out sounds exaggerated! My pain is nothing like it was at 3 weeks. Everyone's experiences and recovery are unique to them. Thanks for your thoughts.

Vickie

OP
OP
P

Poof

senior
Josephine,
Sorry, I will keep all of my posts in this thread.

One year for stiffness to fade? That seems like a long time off. Ugh... I'm going to pray for more patience.

turtle68

graduate
Country
Haven't heard from you for awhile Poof, and was just wondering h9w you were doing. If you're like me , it just seems like this recovery is going on forever. Hope you're doing well.

OP
OP
P

Poof

senior
Recovery Update: 3-1/2 months post LTKR
Hi Everyone,
It looks like the MUA that I had done one April 11th was successful. I'm continuing to get more ROM and extension as time goes on. I can do just about anything that I need to now. My back problems, that were attributed to walking from the limp that I had, have taken a while to try and resolve. About a month ago, I had a back injection to help with the sciatic nerve pain running down my leg. That was successful. Last Friday, I had a steroid shot in my left hip that had also become inflamed. It appears today that it also may be working. It may be a couple of more days before I know for sure.

My knee gets really stiff feeling in the late afternoon and also is that way in the morning when I get up. I also still need to get more muscle mass in my quads. When everyone says that the recovery takes a while, they really aren't exaggerating.

I did go to a movie and was able to sit there the entire time. A month ago, I wasn't able to do that and had to leave halfway thru the showing. Progress is measured in small, happy achievements!

Turtle68 thanks for checking on me! How have you been doing?

Vickie

turtle68

graduate
Country
VICKIE, Glad you're doing better and that the MUA has worked. I'm about the same - yesterday was a good day, today not so good, I've been trying to rest and elevate alot so I can get past the muscle strains I've been trying to heal from. Haven't been posting much but it really keeps me going to know I have my BoneSmart buddies.

Dorothy

D

OP
OP
P

Poof

senior
Five Month update: I have finally finished the PT for the back problems that were started from limping after the LTKR. My back is so much better, so now I'm concentrating on exercising my knee again. My quad muscles still need lots of work! I have no idea what my ROM is now. When they measured it about a month ago, it was at 120. I have been trying to get more bend in it and it really gets sore the next day, but not anything like the pain that was experienced during the first three months. At 4 months, I can honestly say that everything seemed to be getting better. At 5 months, I realized that when I get up in the morning that my knee is no longer my first thought. This morning we walked 2 miles and then I walked up and down our 15 step steep staircase 3 times. I still slightly hesitate when I go down, but am able to do it. I go back to the ortho doc at 6 months for an X-ray and progress report. I'm hoping to be released at that time. This has been a long journey and there were so many days that I wished I had not done it, but I can see now that this is a week by week and month by month recovery. It's good to be this far along.
Vickie

Brownie51

post-grad
Country
HI Vickie
Trying to catch up with you! CAthy told me you had the same computer navigation and then I noticed you told me that on my own thread! You said there was nothing but a little incision. I didn't have any trouble with it until the 11th post op day then couldn't walk. Sounds like your recovery wasn't that easy, MUA included. My knee hasn't been a problem just the tibia. I was surprised your mini would be so painful but it goes to show you how each surgery is so different. Did you still have a lot of swelling? My swelling was only about 1/3rd what is was with my "open" procedure. My right knee is 9 months out now and it's still stiff in the morning and now since I am wheeling around on an office chair, it's actually sore again. Do you think we will ever really not think about our knees? I am not so sure! But it's soo much better than limping and pain.
How did you pick the name Poof? That's funny!

OP
OP
P

Poof

senior
Hi Marianne,
I have an X-ray pic that shows the holes from the CAD, but I can't figure out how to post it on here from my IPad. I have had a long recovery. My back got messed up from limping and that has been a problem for me. It basically shut down the exercises that I was doing for my knee recovery. I have finally finished PT for knee and back and go to the ortho doc tomorrow to see if he will release me for the back. I don't see the knee doc again until Aug. My knee is doing ok now. I don't really think about it in the morning when I get up, but it still does feel stiff after I exercise or do too much. I also have a few aches and pains during the day but usually it's not bad unless I overdo an exercise. It doesn't hurt at all when I go walking. As far as swelling, that hasn't been too big of a problem in the last few months. I wish that I had more ROM than 120, but that's good enough to do what I need to. It will bend farther than that after stretching it, but it stays around 120 on its own.

The name "Poof" came about while I was taking care of my Mom during a very long illness. My husband would say "poof" to me when the stress would get really bad. As in...Poof! Just let it go and don't worry so much. I use the screen name now whenever I can, to remind myself to not get too upset about things. It's funny though, would you believe that the name is already taken on a lot of sites?

Cathy has really helped me a lot with recovery. Our surgeries were done on the same day and we have compared recoveries and encouraged each other now for 5 months. I have been so grateful for her friendship.

Vickie

Brownie51

post-grad
Country
HI Vickie
Sure was sweet for you to post the picks. Your tibial installments were sure nice and tiny compared to mine which looked like a Hoffman device had been placed. Ha!
I love the daughter stalker...like hover mother or helicopter Mom. With social media and cell phones there is so much more to keep track of with kids nowadays so good for you!
And I love the POOF! I am going to try that today if my dr is weird today when I see him.
I hope you're getting back to normal soon. Too bad it's not just about the knee, the collateral damage is what gets us down!
M

OP
OP
P

Poof

senior
Marianne,
Good luck at the doctor today. I will watch your thread for an update.

Vickie

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Elf1
    Staff member since October 2019
  • Jamie
    OneStep AMBASSADOR ..Staff member since Feb, 2009

Forum statistics