Very little damage, huge amounts of pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry Chewymix, I'm a bit thick- headed this morning- do you think my pain is like a tear or not?

Specifically what is your pain like. Where is it? What makes it better? What makes it worse? What is it like first thing in the morning after having slept?

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Ok. It's in my groin, lower back, outer edge of hip bone and, depending on how much I've been walking/standing/tidying up it can refer down my thigh and to the knee.
It's a deep burning pain.
Rest eases it and my electric hot pad.( plus the drugs).
Walking makes it worse but prolonged standing is the worst.
It's just a bit achy when I wake up but I'm not particularly stiff. At other times it feels as if there's too much "play" in the joint.

First and foremost, you need a second opinion. This surgeon your seeing now doesn't sound very motivated in finding out what is causing your pain. Don't waste another minute on him and see another doctor. Do some research and find someone who specializes in joint pain.

Ok. It's in my groin, lower back, outer edge of hip bone and, depending on how much I've been walking/standing/tidying up it can refer down my thigh and to the knee.
It's a deep burning pain.
Rest eases it and my electric hot pad.( plus the drugs).
Walking makes it worse but prolonged standing is the worst.
It's just a bit achy when I wake up but I'm not particularly stiff. At other times it feels as if there's too much "play" in the joint.
After reading this post, it sounds a lot like sciatica. And there are a number of things that can cause sciatica.

Naturally I can't say for certain but your symptoms could be a labrum issue. I am aware of more than one person who actually went as far as back surgery who actually only benefitted once the labrum was repaired.

The fact you wake up ok and then get worse as the day goes on does also make sense. I would look for someone who will investigate the issues fully. Seems your current surgeon is not fully up to speed with all possible hip pathologies and the available tests for those.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

@Alloway @chewymix Hi I have been reading this thread with interest as the hip pain I have in my unoperated (left) leg is very similar to yours. I also wake up up ok but the discomfort builds up as the day goes on and is worse after exercise and walking.I had a torn labrum in my right hip but the pain was a lot more intense and disabling At its worse I had a locking sensation and could only walk a few steps before I had to stop so I just put this pain down to arthritis but the X-rays are showing adequate joint space.I am being reviewed in 3 weeks.I do hope you get a second opinion from a really good surgeon.Please let us know how you get on.

I'm going to tag our forum nurse, @Josephine to comment on this discussion. She is the medical expert here.

I am not overly convinced despite ongoing discomfort at 20% of internal rotation that the hip joint is the main source of her pain.
That's a pretty conclusive test for Femoro-acetabular (FIA) or cam impingement (which may or may not involved a labral tear!) I think the doctor's you've seen thus far can't see the wood for the trees which is not at all uncommon for FIA sufferers.

Why haven't you been to see Colin Howie yet? I think you need to get to him ASAP.

Did you know that Scotland has its own patient's charter - Cross Border Healthcare & Patient Mobility: Public Consultation on Scotland’s Transposition and Implementation of Directive 2011/24 EU on the Application of Patients’ Rights in Cross-border Healthcare which states under section 12.4 that "patients who insist on using their rights to seek treatment in the EEA".

Hi Josephine,

I've read the information in the FAI link and it seems to be one thing that covers all my symptoms. Wouldn't the surgeon have seen that on the 2 lots of X-Rays and the MRI?!? However, that last appointment was the first time he examined the bursa area so perhaps he is just too literal. Certainly the impression I get is that I'm not a classic bone-on-bone case, but I just should be!
I very much appreciate your work in finding Mr Howie but I havn't contacted him or brought him up with the GP because of the different health board issues. I know I could ask to see him and considered asking for a private consultation but I couldn't continue down the private route as I can't afford the £10,000 if it came to replacement. I know I could see him on the NHS but dread to think how long that would take. Nevertheless, I'll phone his NHS secretary tomorrow and ask what the wait is.
Again, thank you very much and all the other people who've replied. This site has been so incredibly helpful.

I have seen a number of folks have a private consultation with a surgeon and then ask to have whatever treatment is needed done on the NHS, so this may be a possibility for you. I don't think you must continue private just because you have the initial appointments that way.

@Alloway Jamie is right as it is perfectly possible to pay for an initial consultation in a private hospital and then request that further treatment is done on the NHS.I did it myself because I decided that I had waited long enough to see a hip expert The OS did all his investigations in the private hospital to diagnose my problem which was a torn labrum. As it turned out this surgeon didn't perform hip arthroscopy so he referred me to his colleague who did but I had to return to the local NHS hospital to have it done but if I had been at the stage of needing a THR it could have been done in the private hospital.As it turned out a few weeks after the arthroscopy I was bone on bone and 6 months later I had the hip replaced.The cost of the consultation was about £120

Your OS doesn't mention the possibility of your hip pain coming from a possible FAI or that he is eliminated it as a cause I was wondering if he ever discussed this with you ? I hope you have a better experience when you see another surgeon.Please let us know how you get on

Just realised I made a mistake in quoting the letter to the GP from the OS. I typed "20%" but it should have been "20 degrees"- can't find the symbol for degree. Sorry @Josephine- I may have inadvertently mis- led you.

It's okay - people use a lot of symbols for degrees! We don't have the ability to use superscript on here.
I very much appreciate your work in finding Mr Howie but I havn't contacted him or brought him up with the GP because of the different health board issues.
What's that got to do with anything? I told you, the Patient's Charter allows us to go anywhere in the UK for treatment, Nothing to do with Health Board as there actually aren't any now! All been done away with.
I know I could ask to see him and considered asking for a private consultation but I couldn't continue down the private route as I can't afford the £10,000 if it came to replacement.I know I could see him on the NHS but dread to think how long that would take.
The Patient's Charter applies to the NHS. You just need to get you GP to refer you to him. And the wait won't be any more than it is at your local hospital.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Forum statistics

Threads