THR Venapro DVT Compression Therapy Wrap

MsCheryl

Country
United States United States
Having hip replacement surgery on July 10, 2020. Surgeon's office "highly suggests" purchase of the Venapro from their office for $170. Not much impressed with web pictures/information on this apparatus.
Suggestions on other devices or your experience with the Venapro? Thank you much.

Hello @MsCheryl - and :welome:

I have moved your post to the pre-op area,since it's still a little while before your surgery.

I see you've had joint replacements previously. Did you develop a DVT after any of them? If so, buying a Venapro might be a good idea.

If not, it seems a lot to pay for something that will have only a limited period of use.

While I was in hospital after my last knee replacement, the hospital used something similar to the Venapro on both my lower legs. It worked by intermittently squeezing and releasing my calves. It didn't hurt, but the two machines running made a steady background noise.

I didn't develop any blood clots, but I was also mobilized quite quickly.

As you know, one of the key factors in preventing DVT is movement. That's why it's important to do ankle pumps as often as you can while you're in bed.
Once you're able to walk around using a walker or crutches, make sure that you take a little walk every hour or so - except then you're sleeping, of course.

Never used one for any of my joint replacements- not even compression stockings thank goodness, so cannot comment on its efficacy. If you do decide to go with it have you checked purchasing it elsewhere like Amazon or ebay as it might be cheaper. I purchased my TENS unit for half the price on Amazon as to what the price was at the chiropractic office.

Ho @MsCheryl ! Was there a specific reason that relates specifically to your case given? Not one like "oh the doctor likes for all the patients to use this". That is a pricy item!
July 10 is just around the corner-- I hope you are not in too much pain as you wait. :)

Thank you for moving my thread to the correct place. Have never had problems with blood clots before but haven't had surgery for 8 years; age brings its own set of problems.

Abductor muscle repair will limit my mobility quite a bit. Not even starting rehab for 3 months. Guess that is a pretty good reason for the VenaPro. The surgeon does recommend this for all his patients and Medicare does not pay.

Appreciate your replies

Last edited:
I'd recommend asking OS if compression hose would do if they weren't so pricy too! I buy mine (spider vein pain...spider veins given me by my THR's :rotfl: ) at an online store called BrightLife Direct. They do have a very comfortable mild compression kneehigh for I think $13/pr. And they fit so much better than what the hospital gave me!

Going to check out your store but was also told compression hose were needed as well. Gonna be a long hot Texas summer wearing those things. Thanks for the information.

That doesn't sound like much fun, for sure! But it's a means to the end, correct? Relief will be your reward.. I hope you have plenty of good, long lasting ice packs at hand!
July 10 will be here shortly, and I hope you can stay comfortable til then.

Oh and add me to the list of people who hasn't heard of the Venapro.. it will be interesting to hear about it and your recovery.

If they only “highly suggest” it then it is totally up to you whether you get it or not. There were only a couple of “you have to have this” on my list from the OS. The out of pocket cost would weigh in heavily for me. Do they know people have to pay for it on their own? I guess it would also depend on how long you are supposed to use it. The fact that Medicare doesn’t pay for it makes me wonder if that’s because it’s not in the routine necessary care category. I had sequentials in the hospital which do what you are describing and pretty much wound up being on mostly at night because I was up and/or moving otherwise. I only had compression stockings for home. Your call but as you can see, a few of us have never heard of it.

You are correct. I was skeptical and could not help but wonder what type of kick-back the physicians received. Amazon has so many types of machines similar to this but didn't give me a good enough handle on the differences. The longer we live and learn, trusting in the system isn't easy.

I didn't use compression hose or anything else aside from 1 aspirin a day. I had the booties in the hospital that inflated and kept the blood flowing right after the surgery but that was it. Ankle pumps and walking was it post op. As far as rehab goes many of us don't do any formal rehab and many OS don't recommend anything until almost 3 mos.
The one thing that I did have was an icing machine. Mine is a Breg Polar Pack that was used at the hospital as soon as I got to the room and I took it home with me. I used it constantly at home both sitting in my recliner and in bed. The design is so that you can use 4 frozen water bottles and then fill with water. The bottles would last hours so we froze a dozen and they could be rotated out.

Thanks for the reminder on the Polar Pack and using the frozen water bottles in the bottom. I had forgotten how much better it worked that way. Mine is here from before and ready to go again.

Good morning @MsCheryl :SUNsmile:
Dropping by your thread to wish you the very best tomorrow. Hopefully today zips past as quickly as possible and soon you will be on the recovery side.

You seem well prepared for your recovery and we look forward to your updates when you are ready to post.

You got this!

Hey @MsCheryl :hi:
Stopping by to wish you all the best for your surgery tomorrow. Hopefully your day is a peaceful one and you catch some Z’s overnight. :sleep: You’ll be in good hands and we’re looking forward to following your healing journey on the bright side.:SUNsmile:
Hugs!

Wishing you a most successful surgery and a great pain controlled recovery. I hope to see you on the sunny side (recovery) when you are able. Soon no more awful arthritis pain in the hip.

Thank you sweet ladies. Your thoughts really do lift my spirits. I will definitely check back with you. Also wanted to give my best wishes to others having surgery tomorrow. Hugs!

@MsCheryl best wishes for tomorrow and hopes of a smooth recovery. Good thing you'll be needing to take it easy for a while as it's just going to be too darn hot here in Texas to do much of anything but sit on ice!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom