Using a recumbent bike for therapy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmartChoice

Country
United States United States
I have a recumbent bike that I try to use at least three times a week, with those of you who have had TKR, when are you able to use a recumbent bike for PT? Thanks

I used a a static trainer (you fix an ordinary bike to it), and plenty of people on here have used recumbents.

If you can't make a full turn of the pedals right away, move the saddle further away from them.

In the early days/weeks, use the bike for mobility, not for training. For best results, set zero resistance.

I agree with Roy. I have a recumbent. In the beginning I couldn't even make a full revolution but rocked back and forth. Eventually you will be able to use it to PT. I started out at 3 minutes then 5. The other day I rode a mile at zero resistance. I will build up to my usual 5 miles over the next months.
I love my recumbent! Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a recumbent bike, and it has been excellent for PT. Just be careful not to overdo it in the early days. Even now, at TKR + 6 months, I only ride it every couple of days for 10 minutes. But it has helped build strength back.

I started riding the bike at about 4wks or a little before 4wks. I could go around which was quite a nice surprise but I had worked hard at ice and elevation and kept my swelling down and under control so had good flexion. It will depend on your knee. The knee rules recovery.

Started with 10min at 0 resistance. Build up to 15-20 min at level 3 in the next 2 wks with mileage rising from 1m to 4m as I rode more. I used it about 3x/wk. I returned to work this week so have not ridden yet this wk - am off tomorrow so going to do some on it. It felt so good to be able to get on it and ride.

I used OP PT recumbent with my last knee and actually my home recumbent is easier to get on and use than theirs was.

When I had my BTKR, I had an upright stationary bike. Now I use a recumbent one during the winter months. AS others have said, be careful and make sure that you do not overdo it. Set the tension at "O"

I was on the bike at around three weeks--all I did was rock back and forth on it. For some reason, many of us found that it was easier to get the RPM when going backwards.

I would hop on it several times a day and just do it for a few minutes each time.

You can actually start with the recumbent bike pretty early in your recovery (like the second week or so)....whenever it feels comfortable to climb into the seat.

BUT.....you won't be able to do full rotations for a while. No matter, sitting there with your feet on the pedals and "rocking" them back and forth is an excellent gentle exercise for you. You could do that a couple of times a day for up to 5 minutes (start slowly and work up).

As you progress with your recovery, you may find (like I did) that riding the bike is a great way to help with nighttime pain or leg discomfort (restless legs). Some nights my knee would wake me up and it felt like I needed to move around. I'd get up out of bed, sit on the bike and gently turn or rock for 3-5 minutes and then I could go back to bed with some ice.

The bicycle will be your new best friend in recovery....right next to pain meds and ice.

I can just rock back and forth. guess its better than nothing. knee still feels very very tight

Yes the recumbent bike can be your friend. The first time after my surgery that I got on one was at PT. They used to put me on that every visit to kind of loosen me up I guess! I tried to go all the way around and just stopped before I did.......the physical therapist said, "just go backwards if you can't go all the way around." So I ended up "rocking" back and forth like others have said. And you feel SO triumphant when you finally can go all the way around!!! The people there cheered for me!!

I can just rock back and forth. guess its better than nothing. knee still feels very very tight
I would sit on my bike and "rock out" while I watched episodes of Gunsmoke, Bonanza, and such on TV Land during my recovery. I still remember when I had my first revolution---backwards---on the bike. It was during Bonanza!

It's always easier to do the full revolution backwards, right? I wonder why!

Has to do with the muscles involved in rotating forward and backward. Can't give you more info than that. I should probably Google it.

I finally went forwards. I was so happy with myself

Very good post everyone. First, it takes about 100deg of knee flexion before you can go completely around. This varies with the type of bike you use. Rocking back and forth is very common when starting this activity. You can go backwards easier because of the motion of the ankle. When going backwards, you tend to point your toes downward or forward in a recumbent. As far when you can start, it really depends on the angle of motion of the knee. A stationary bike usually takes about 105deg of flexion, again depending on the equipment.
I always use pain as my guide, if it hurts don't do it. The more aggressive the patient is, the slower the return to function. Everything in moderation.
I hope this helps,
David

I always use pain as my guide, if it hurts don't do it. The more aggressive the patient is, the slower the return to function. Everything in moderation.
I hope this helps,
Excellent! I hope those that wish to rush their recovery by working past the point of pain and are aggressive in their rehab read this and put this on their refrigerator doors!

This discussion of recumbent bikes is great! I have been using mine since my first TKR in 2004 and I love it. My usual routine and one I will build back up to is 5 miles at varying levels of resistance. Right now at 10 weeks I am at 1.5 miles.
Best to you all!!!

Oh I don"t go past the point of pain. Iam just doing 3 minutes and happy with that for now. Last week I could not do it. So Iam coming along I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back