ACIM

senior
Country
United States United States
@NightQuilter
@Jamie
@MARYCOOL
Hello all,
... so I'm driving downtown yesterday to get A cat scan on my right knee for surgery and started to realize that I don't want this surgery right now... I've had three joint Replacements in The Last 5 Years and a joint replacement in 2004. My last joint replacement was actually a full hip revision and the recovery/rehab were some of the darkest days of my life with the pain and the rehab and all of that, isolation, etc.. and that was only 2 years ago. I'm simply not ready to put my body through another surgery right now. I'm thinking more along the lines of around August 1st and just wanted to let everybody know I'm going to disappear for a little bit but I'll be back. I'm certainly going to need the support of BoneSmart and the new friends I'm making here. I love you all and will talk to you soon,
ACIM

@ACIM I fully understand your need to delay this a bit. Well done for doing what feels right for you.

Please do keep in touch. We will be here for you when the time is right!

Be well! I totally get you!

I totally understand. Best wishes!

Good job listening to that little voice in your brain that let's you know when you're ready for something as major as a joint replacement. You've been through a lot and it's understandable that you might want to stop and regroup. I hope whatever pain you have associated with this knee will allow you some peace as you reconsider what is right for you. We're always here if you have questions, concerns, or just want to vent a little.

Oh, ACIM! You will be great!!! Part of knowing ourselves is knowing when to best move on things!!! I’m so glad to know you, and feel free to hover, as my time gets closer! When you are ready, you’ll know!

Thanks for letting us know you've decided to postpone your surgery, @ACIM.
I've removed your name from the April Rainbows surgery team thread.

Let us know when you decide to proceed with the surgery and we'll add your new surgery date to the appropriate team thread.
Until then, best wishes.

@Jaycey
Thank you so much for your kind thoughts and feedback. I knew when I started becoming hysterical on my way to get my cat scan, and I had to pull off the road because my driving was becoming erratic oh, it just came to me..." Diana, you have a choice here, you don't have to get the surgery done right now". And that was that..., no conflict no debating in my mind, nothing. Just peace. I've arranged to get another cortisone injection in the knee as well as getting physical therapy I'm going to pain management. I have alerted my general practitioner to all and he claims the pain management will not give me any opioids, not that I abused them or anything but he has been giving me Percocet for about 3 weeks now and I don't want to bug him anymore, hence the pain management course. I thank God for you and your feedback and will talk to you soon.
Diana

@MARYCOOL
  • Thank you for your response Mary cool. You are so cool! And I am sitting here and moderate pain as I am committed to doing my 2 Mile Walk everyday but now it is really bothering my knee. Just want you to know that this was somewhat of a sudden decision, made with my heart and not with my mind. I really don't know who I am right now or what is going on but I am trusting and something higher than myself. I just knew I could not go through a fifth joint surgery right now. I actually did some research on the top 10 knee replacement orthopedic surgeons in the Charleston South Carolina area and have found one that I am setting up an initial consult with... I wasn't entirely comfortable with the surgeon that was going to do it on April 20th anyway. I also plan to have a cortisone injection, physical therapy and Pain Management in the interim. Thank you again for your kind wishes. I wish you the best of luck hope your surgery, or have you already had it done? Something tells me you've already have it done! If so, how goes it? Please tell me...xoxo

@Jockette
Thank you Jockette for your response. I am in pain but what is so funny is that I pretty much work out everyday and will not be able to do that now until my surgery, hopefully no later than August 1st. I cannot stand to go a day without dancing, walking, the gym, swimming, cetera. However, it's swimming is the best available option throughout the summer and something that I so love to do. I'm about 20 miles from the beach and about eight miles from a lovely pool. No worries there. Just not ready yet to go through more bone cutting, pain, rehab... well, you know the drill. Thanks again, Diana

@Celle,
List website is the best thing that ever happened to me. Imagine, when I was 20 years old I had no clue, no idea that I would ever be going through this over a 10-year period and coming up on yet my fifth joint surgery. I just can't do it right now... I thank you for your response and will be back "on the other side".
Hugs, ACIM

@Jamie,
You, all of the responses I've received, after announcing my postponement of the surgery, had the best response in terms of what I deeply in my heart related to. Did you know that for most of my life I have simply gone along with what others have suggested or told me I should do? But not this time. I know myself better and cannot bear the thought of facing another surgery and Rehab right now. It's just not what I'm being guided to do buy a power greater than myself. Good news is, I did find one of the top 10 knee replacement surgeons in the Charleston area and I'm making arrangements to go on and see him for a surgical consult now. Also in the process of getting TT in the meantime, another cortisone injection in the knee and Pain Management as well. I'm looking at August 1st for the surgery because August and September in southern South Carolina are the worst 2 months to be alive, haha, too hot and too humid and to oppressive... It's kind of like living in Western Pennsylvania for the months of January and February, nobody wants to go outside!
Did you know I have just taken four OTC PM Tylenol just so I can sleep? That's the one thing that gets rid of the pain.
How are you doing my friend? Please answer this this I need to hear about other people going through what I am going through or will be going through and the support group helps me feel like I really belong...xoxo

@Yellowrose
I hope you understand that your feedback, along with everyone else's, helps me feel so much better even though I have continual pain in the knee. I force myself to walk 2 miles everyday which doesn't help the knee at all ( or maybe it does, who knows?)
Please tell me when your surgery date is? I certainly want to follow up with you and check in and make sure you're okay which I know you are going to be more than okay. I very much treasure the communication between us. What a gift for me! Or should I say what a gift from you to me!
xoxo

Did you know that for most of my life I have simply gone along with what others have suggested or told me I should do? But not this time. I know myself better and cannot bear the thought of facing another surgery and Rehab right now.
This is what I love to hear! A woman who realizes her own strength and takes charge of her body and health!!! Bravo! This is always the right path. You must do what YOU feel is best for yourself. You are the only one who truly knows yourself inside and out.

And....it sounds like this delay is a bit of a blessing as you were not particularly comfortable with your surgeon. See, those little voices inside really ARE telling you something important.

As you go through the summer, watch your activity, though. You don't want to keep your knee inflamed or in pain. The inflammation actually can cause an acceleration of cartilage loss. Movement should be gentle like the swimming you described. Just be aware that, since the water gives you extra support, it's easy to overdo the time you spend in the ocean or pool. Go slowly and see what works to give you exercise without pain or swelling.

Did you know I have just taken four OTC PM Tylenol just so I can sleep? That's the one thing that gets rid of the pain.
This concerns me. Tylenol can be hard on your liver when taken in high doses. The result in some people can be permanent liver damage and even death. Please don't risk this!! You NEVER want to take more than 1000mg at a time or a total of 4000mg in any 24 hour period. If you need something more to sleep, talk to your GP about alternatives that won't harm your body.

@MARYCOOL
  • Thank you for your response Mary cool. You are so cool! And I am sitting here and moderate pain as I am committed to doing my 2 Mile Walk everyday but now it is really bothering my knee. Just want you to know that this was somewhat of a sudden decision, made with my heart and not with my mind. I really don't know who I am right now or what is going on but I am trusting and something higher than myself. I just knew I could not go through a fifth joint surgery right now. I actually did some research on the top 10 knee replacement orthopedic surgeons in the Charleston South Carolina area and have found one that I am setting up an initial consult with... I wasn't entirely comfortable with the surgeon that was going to do it on April 20th anyway. I also plan Something tells me you've already have it done! If so, how goes it? Please tell me...xoxo
I had my left knee replaced in Feb, so you are correct. It is done.
When I was in high school, I had 2 knee surgeries on my right knee, then in my 20's, I had a scope on my left. I always figured the right one would go first, but no, wrong again!
I am happy that you are listening to your body, and I think you are picking a great month, August, because if you have to be inside anyway, right? That is why I picked February in Colorado!
I should be playing golf by next month, for sure!
Wishing you the very best!!

Hi @ACIM ! What a tough, but courageous decision you have made. With your surgical history, you know how much your mind has to be invested in your recovery, together with your body. And I love that you will be finding a new surgeon in whom you will have more faith.

I never had cortisone injections in my knees pre-replacement. Do they give you relief? I put my knee replacements off for 4 years with "rooster comb" injections - hyaluronic acid injections which helped reduce pain and inflammation as well as building up some space between the bones. I got about 6 months relief between injections and was even able to better walk around the university campus where I was teaching then. You might discuss this option with your new surgeon.

@NightQuilter
Hello Miss quilter of the night, question for you. When you said you were able to create space between your thumbs before your surgery how did you go about doing that? I'm very curious to know...

Lol @ACIM ! It was the injection solution itself that is inserted and creates the bit of cushioning between the femur and the tibula (none between the thumbs!).

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back