THR Update on teen who had both hips replaced

tbatt9

Country
United States United States
Its been some time since I posted about my then 15 year old son and both his hip replacements. I thought I would take the opportunity to post here about his excellent recovery as a way to encourage others who like us agonized over the decision to have their kid go through all this. I'm not sure if I did it right but below I will try to post the link to a prior thread that I started that discussed his story in detail.

The bottom line is we are so very glad that we made the decision to proceed even at his age. The prognosis for him was grim without undergoing this as he likely would have had increased pain and immobility ending with him being wheelchair bound. But the thought of such a young kid having to have bilateral hip replacement was overwhelming. All the fears of complications and risks and the likely need for future revisions cost us tons of anxiety and uncertainty as to what to do.

But today I am so proud of my son and what he's accomplished. He has fully recovered and to watch him walk around and enjoy his senior year in high school has been such a blessing for us. He has now been accepted at the University of Florida (Go Gators! :)) where he will be a college freshman in the Fall. The size of that campus would have proven extremely difficult for him to get around but for his successful surgeries.

For all you parents searching on line for answers I encourage you to listen to the people who post here as they were invaluable to us as we went through all this. Also don't listen to anyone who tells you your teen just has to wait and get older, and suffer for many more years before this surgery is indicated. That's old school thinking and would leave kids like mine to the fate of watching all their peers move on through the best years of their life while they sit on the sidelines in pain. That is not acceptable.

Good luck to all who find who find themselves dealing with these same issues for their kids. The truth is they too can be helped and God willing have great outcomes like our son.

#teenagehipreplacement

http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/...t-hip-done-7-12-with-left-set-for-8-23.36889/

Last edited by a moderator:
Lovely update @tbatt9 ! So glad your son can get on with living the active life every teen deserves!

Hi @tbatt9
What a beautiful post and update! I read your son's pre op thread and can only try to
imagine the mental anguish you went through in making a decision for surgery.
There is enough agony in making that decision for one's self but to have to make it for another
would be even more difficult. Especially for your beloved child.

It's so wonderful to read how well your son is doing and how happy you are with your decision.
He's back to living life without pain and the limitations he was suffering. What a blessing and happy ending!
Thanks so much for sharing. May those hips serve him for years and years to come.

Thank you so much for the update...so happy for you both.
Great what bionic hips can do!:egypdance::yes!::egypdance:

What terrific news! Thank you so much for the update. We don't often get them so each one is treasured.
Our very best wishes to your son in his new college experience!

So very pleased for you all.....having a child in pain and suffering is, I think, worse than it happening to ourselves. I hope your boy has many more happy years with his new hips

So glad to hear such a positive outcome for your son! I’m brand new here, and I came here hoping to find other teens for my daughter to connect with. She is 2 weeks post op from total hip replacement on her right, after suffering a broken femoral head in December 2014 as a result of undiagnosed SCFE.She just turned 16 and has lived in pain and suffering for the past 4 years waiting for her bones to stop growing so she could have the replacement. I would love it if anyone out there could reach out so she knows she’s not the only teen in the world with a bionic hip.

Great news!! So glad your son will be able to enjoy campus life!!

@olive'sMom--I just read your post, and while I don't know of any teens to connect her to, I did want to tell you how wise I think it is for you to try to find a support person/group of peers for her. One of my sons struggled with bad ankles for several years when he was younger, and had to have ankle reconstruction surgery on both, a couple years apart.(They originally thought they would have to transplant cadaver tissue, but he ended up having just enough for them to use his own.) The first was when he was in high school, and he really struggled with his recovery---he didn't know anyone else who had gone through the procedure, and had so many questions. Obviously his doctor was helpful, but for the day to day concerns, it really does help to have someone who knows first hand. Good luck to both of you---Olive as she recovers, and you, as you support her:)

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back