Update on Surgery

CPH

Country
United States United States
Looks like I am all set to go for May 23rd! Hubby and I met with my "second opinion" Surgeon who does about 450 THR per year and is highly regarded as one of the top Orthopedic Surgeons in San Diego (been doing hips/knees for about 30 years). My first "potential" surgeon, just didn't feel like a good fit for me for a whole host of reasons, which I won't elaborate on except to say that my interaction with this Dr. made me feel very confident in him, the procedure and my prognosis. Any hesitation on moving forward is gone! He and his "assistant surgeon" where very knowlegable, able to go through every detail I wanted and explain in laymen's terms and provided me with so much more post op info than Dr.#1... they even had a slightly different take on my condition, but agreed a THR was only way to fix the situation.

He uses a posterior approach, will likely use the DePuy ACTIS system with a ceramic head/polyethylene liner. Typically does not have to use screws (only in about 5% of cases). No cement, internal dissolving sutures and dermabond to close the incision which will allow me to shower and said it leaves a better look than staples or sutures in his opinion.

Said he would not anticipate me being in the hospital more than one night, will probably need a walker for a couple of days to a week, then cane for 1-2 weeks, then if off pain meds and cane I can drive!!! (well thats what I am shooting for as I get "cabin fever"if I can't get out and about.

1. While I have some dysplasia, its not as bad as 1st Dr. indicated.
2. He does a posterior approach and anticipates using the DuPey Actis system (cementless stem with ceramic head & polyethylene liner). Says the bone will grow into the implant and if I do appropriate weight bearing exercising over the next 1.5 to 2 years, should be stronger than my bone would have been without it.
3. He closes the incision with dissolving sutures (interior) and uses dermabond on exterior. He said I could shower within a couple of days.
3. Said only restriction he is adamant about after surgery is no leg crossing for 1st 3 months.
4. Said most his patients are on a walker for 2-4 days then move to a cane for a week or two and by week 3, if off pain meds and off cane, can begin to drive.
5. Said Air travel in-state ok in 4 weeks, out-of-state okay in 6 weeks, and international ok in 3 months.

Sounds like you are all set. It is great that your date will be here soon and you do not have to wait. Just please remember recovery is not always up to us but to our bodies. You will do great but sometimes the body gets very tired and we do not bounce back as fast as our heads say we should. Listen to your body and it will all work out for the best.

Said most his patients are on a walker for 2-4 days then move to a cane for a week or two and by week 3, if off pain meds and off cane, can begin to drive.
Sounds a bit aggressive to me. Don't be pushed by the surgeon's expectations. You do not need to be off pain meds at 3 weeks. Listen to that new hip. It will guide you well.

Sorry if I gave the impression he was setting high expectations...my questions to him were regarding his patients in my age group/physical condition (he does about 450 hips/year and has quite a few in the 50-60 yr old range). I totally agree....not going to push myself past what my body tells me, including when to taper of meds and my walking apparatus. With the very few surgical procedures I have had, I tend to bounce back quicker than the norm, so I am keeping my fingers crossed this time will be no different.

I’m glad you found a surgeon you feel comfortable with as that is very important. I think it is good to be optimistic about your recovery but also be aware we all recover at different rates. THR’s are highly successful and recoveries vary tremendously. Just take it one day at a time and listen to what your body is telling you. You will make out just fine. Sending good wishes your way....

Everyone is really different in recovery. I always bounce back quickly from procedures except this one! There are several people on the forum that had much quicker recovery times than mine.The walker lasted a good 5 weeks and a little into week 6. I wouldn't consider flying even now at 8 weeks, in state or anywhere else for that matter. My hip would tell me "no way"! It sounds like your OS is pretty aggressive with recovery but I agree with Jaycey, listen to your hip. It will definitely let you know!

So my anxiety is subsiding even though I find it tends to go in waves. Yesterday I had my mandatory hip replacement class @ the hospital. There were 9 people there, 7 female patients and 2 family members. While I didn't learn anything particularly new about the procedure itself, I am still glad I went. At the class I met a woman having a THR with my same surgeon a few weeks after me. Turns out she is in the health product liability field and knows quite a few administrators at hospitals in the region. She picked the hospital and surgeon after talking with area hospital administrators she knows and the CEO of this hospital. Unsolicited said the surgeon was the best in the hospital, top in the region and one they would choose if they needed a joint replacement. This was so validating and eased the anxiety I was having. Next week is my pre-op, Surgery countdown begins..3 weeks from today :yikes::shocked:

Last edited:
Hi :wave: @CPH
Sounds like you received some reassuring news while at your informational prep class yesterday.
Always nice to hear you're placing your trust into capable hands.
I hope the next three weeks fly by for you. Sweet relief is on its way! :happydance:
Wishing you comfort as you await your May 23rd date.

One more step in the process completed. Today I had my pre-op where I met with the Asst. Surgeon and my OS's nurse and someone from Anesthesiology, took care of the insurance stuff and then had labs, EKG, received my special soap and a nose swab for MRSA (that was new thing for me) Apparently special soap and swab are precautionary measures to make sure you don't have/carry staph on your skin since this surgery requires extra measures to prevent infection. Still very anxious about the whole thing, but I am finally getting my self to fully embrace the idea of "trading-in" for new model. Dr. still says only restriction is leg crossing and no driving until off pain meds, also agreed with general consensus here that hips really don't need Physical Therapy beyond getting mobile. Nurse said I can shower once I go home (albeit with hip wrapped in Saran to keep the Dermabond from getting wet and lifting too soon). On a positive note, she did say with the Dermabond, instead of staples or outer sutures that there should only be a small pencil line scar. So 15 days and counting.....

How wonderful for you to be so close to the "new model" you with no pain and more freedom.

Great story about meeting liability person who knows all the administrators and got their recommendation. Great that the recommendation was for YOUR surgeon. Great job to choose someone you felt really comfortable with.

Well as far as this surgery goes Ive been getting my self in a good mental state, knowing all the details. I am not sure if it’s good news or not, but OS office called and said the person scheduled for surgery before me was cancelled, so now I’m first of the day at 7:30. Have to get up at 4am to be there by 5:30. On the bright side I should be in my room by lunch time. Hope being first is a good thing and my OS is a morning person.

First up, yay!:happydance:
Less time to wake up and wait and get anxious...
Not much longer and you will be rid of that horrid hip pain and on your way back to your life!:yes!:

Good luck ... looking forward to seeing you on the recovery side!
First up is the best! You will be taking your first steps with your shiny new hip very soon xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, first is best!!! I actually ended up 2nd this time around but I was still in the OR at 8:00 and in my room by 11:30 or so. You'll do great and you'll be having that lunch before you know it. Only 6 days to go!!! We'll be waiting for you!! :yes:

42 hours away! So they changed my implant to a Stryker Accolade II with a Ceramic head...think I will name my new adoptee/hip friend, Heidi.

Hobbled to the Dog Wash this am and gave my beautiful Aussie a much needed bath as she will have to wait a while for the next one. Fortunately one of the helpers put her in and took her out for me. Overnight bag is packed, rugs are up, grabbers, canes, recliner, slip on shoes, etc... all laid out so they are conveniently accessible. Ice packs in the fridge, Cleaned the bathrooms, installed my elevated toilet seat, Bought a few groceries and getting ready to Take my daily Hibiclens shower so I can go out to dinner with my folks...all while my pain level is at a whopping 9! Tomorrow I will give the house a light dust and vacuum, take my antibacterial shower, wait for hubby to get back from his business trip, and then collapse into bed to await the 4:30 am alarm ( assuming I will be able to sleep) then back into the shower for last Hibiclens treatment and off to see the wizard of hips and retire this decrepit old piece of natural hardware for something shiny and new. Wow that’s a lot to do...better get on with it!

Last edited:
You sound well prepared @CPH :yes:
Sending healing vibes in advance and will look for you on the healing side!
Bye bye hip pain:dancy:

Thank you for the well wishes!

My husband has been so sweet during this whole hip thing, but had to make a last minute business trip on Monday to Chicago for 3 days. I was distraught over him cutting it so close to my surgery since the weather has been unpredictable this spring, and we have to leave the house early tomorrow morning at 4:45 - 5:00 am. He promised he would be home in plenty of time. I Went to bed early last night due to pain and woke up around 3 am. Hubby sent me a text about the same time letting me know he was boarding a different flight than he was originally booked on. Apparently we dodged a bullet last night at 10:30 pm when he got a text that his flight home today was cancelled out of Chicago due to all the bad weather in the plains/Midwest states. After 3 hours of trying to find an alternate flight back to the west coast that gets him here before late tonight, and would route him away from the bad weather so not risk another cancellation, He got the last seat on a 6:00 am flight, but got no sleep last night....now that’s love. And I am so relieved he will be home for my last minute jitters.

X

Last edited:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom