Update from the hospital

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon

graduate
Country
United States United States
Hi all

Occupational therapy provides a wirelss intenet connection so I thought I would check in with everyone.

Surgery was June 3rd and what could go worng did.

Started off ok though convencing the anesthiologists I did not want sedation did take a bit of doing. The guy who put in the femoral block had the same thought.

The femoral block was ok, he just had problems locating the nerve as due to the previous surgeries alot of the nerves had bee cut .

The anesthestist was great. She rearranged some of her equipment and pushed the drape back so that I could see the computer. It was really interesting. They places these little markers in several parts of the leg and they use a wand which takes the readings off and you see on the screnn the knee being bulit, where all the areas are and where the implant should go. They they move the want around till it is all in alignment. The left one was not too bad looking, the right one was another story.

The doctor started with the left one, I thought he did that as it would be the easier of the 2, he told be later it was because he it harder as a right handed surgeon to maniulate the computer for the left side. Things appeared to go pretty smooth and it took abut 70 minutes. to get the implant in. Then we went to the right and he told me on Tuesday night if he had started with the right he would have never replaced the left that day as the right took so much work and much longer that he had planned. You could tell the OR staff was getting nervous as the anestetist started calling out the toriquent time. It took about 1 hr and 40 minutes to get the implant in and another 20 or so to close but they could do that without the turniquet on. You could hear alot of talk going on and mumbling which I am sure was closer to swearing.
The doctor stopped in today (Sunday) and said it was like doing a revision. Nothing was where you planned on it, the space was really tight, the previous movement of the patella tendon and the bone graft were major trouble. He told me on Wednesday that when they were trying to get the tibia portion in alot of force was required and he ended up with a compressed fracture of the tibia. Luckly it was not the whole bone and it is on the same side as the nonuinon foot fracture. It means I can only put 50% body weight on the right side for awhile.
Also there was alot of brusing and bleeding and my calf and knee are about 3 times the size and the thigh about 2x. The problem is the calf is so tight it is like a 24 hour cramp and trying to do things like quad lifts are close to impossible. Good thing that side is only 50% weight bearing as I can barely get my foot down.

Don't let the above scare anyone as I am sure none of you have knees in that condition.

Surgery went 4 hours and a few minutes, an hour longer than planned.

I though since I had no sedation, I wuold be out of recovery in an hour or so. Well I was fine when I arrived, 100 % saturation. Then I took a few ice chips as I was so dehydrated. (The anestitist had not started drinking out of her bottle during surgery so a couple of times, she did wet a gauze pad and wipe the tounge). Well that started nausea of major portions which only got worse as the spinal wore off. They were trying every antiemetic in the book and finally had to go from intravenous to direct injections. About 2 hours in the lab work came back and the numbers were in the pits even though bleeding was not bad. They started to infuse the 1st unit of blood from the cell saver and the blood pressure also bottomed out. I was in recovery for 6 hours before they got things under some control. Once in my room, they infused the 2nd unit from the cell saver. Needless to say, I was not up that day.

The femoral block really did not to much except make by leg very dead. The next day that started some IV pain killers and in a couple of hours I was bright pink. full of hives and itching like crazy. Good thing bendryl worked pretty quickly but it did wipe me out. Since they had been using a wide number of things it took awhile to decide it was the Ocycontin. Though there is an outside chance it was the antibiotic.

On Wednesday the blood pressure was still in the pits and they said I was as white as the sheets, so since I had done autologous transfusions, they infused those 2 units back. So I finally started getting color back. Pain control was hard as nothing seemed to work they used a combination of IV and oral. Finally seems Delauide (not spelled right) works enough, I just have to stop waiting too long to take it. So on Wednesady I got up from the bed and took a few steps to the commode and later on we actually made it to the bathroom. No hallway walks for me. I have been spending 6 or 7 hours a day on the CPM. On Wednesday, the rehab nurse and case manager started working on the insurance company as they said there was no way I could go home in 4 days with all the complications.

On Thursday they finally got the insurance comapny ok for inpatient rehab. I had to tell them to get the company on the case as we do have coverage in extreme cases. I was suppose to move up to the rehab floor on Thursday afternoon but the calf was so sore they wanted to run a doppler to make sure there were no clots. Of course the machine was down and by the time they got it up it was too late in the day. I did manage to walk to the nurses station about 100 steps in all. I was also doing the standby leg exercises

On Friday, I talked with the rehab doctor so they could get a plan in place, then waited for the hospitalist to clear me off the surgical floor. Well around 2:30 pm (they called him at 8 am) he called and said he would clear it on the rehab floor. So on Friday afternoon, I was set up on the rehab floor and started meeting with PT, OT and everyone else.

The OT people really have some neat little toys, the leg loop is great as you can use it pull up your leg. The socker putter on also is great though it still is a bit hard with the TED stockings. The best was on Saturday when I could take a shower and wash my hair. They have all the stuff to protect the incision so you can do it. Getting in and out of the shower was a bit tricky as they really need more room for the wheelchairs and walker. This is a 12 bed rehab unit and there are 9 people on it. They have all your stuff marked and customized for you, like putting on extension rods on the wheelchair lock. Today It was alittle easier get out of bed, it is the part of getting the feet down on the floor that is really hard but everyone is patient and lets you go at your own speed. They scheduled PT/OT for 3 hours a day and have the rehab nurses doing things during the day.

I will be on the rehab floor for at least 7 days but more likely 10 days.

Well please don't get any of you worried, I am just one of those people who Murrphy likes.

Good luck to all you.

Simon
Vermont

Simon, so sorry to hear about all the things you've been through. But, bless your heart, you still have a great upbeat attitude going that will do wonders to get you well faster. Hang in there. I'm thinking of you and praying for you to get home soon.

Simon, what a prince of an optimist you are! A lot of people would have been really side-swiped by all that but you take it all on the chin! And even manage to add reassurances to other people!

Glad you're coming out the other end ok, though. You're a real trooper.

Wow! You are an inspiration! May God bless you in your recovery!

When you are feeling up to it--- I want to ask you some questions about your patellar tendon and bone graft.... that sounds suspiciously like both of my knees and my OS was able to avoid trouble with my PKR. But the other knee will be a TKR and a different story.

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers and look forward to hearing about your progess.

I'm surprised you made it to the hospital without getting in an accident! It must be all downhill from here! I returned to work last week BTKR 2/29/08.

Hang in there and good luck!...........Steve

Simon, I'm sure you got all the hippies pulling for ya. Take it one day at a time. God willing the worst part is behind you. You are an inspiration to the rest of us.

Hey Simon, God speed on your recovery. What an adventure you had, but you seem to be up spirits and moving on... As a fellow bi-lat it was interesting to read the process. I just got an acopy of the itenized hospital bill and I was in the or for 4.25 hours, so now I wonder if there were adventures for me while I was knocked out. I'll assume my left was done 1st as well. I did not have tourniquets. My os doesn't do that, so he probably had less stress in that sense. Anyway, heal well.

Simon,
I bet you are glad you are on the other side of the surgery now. Sorry it was a rough one for you. Wow, a fracture to deal with too. I am glad they got the insurance straightened out so you could have inpatient PT. That will make a huge difference. Remember take it one day at a time, and do as much as you can each day without overdoing. Heal well...........
You have a wonderful positive attitude!
Best,
Crystal

I think Rowdy had a fracture as well. Not sure if it was a result of the same thing though.

Hey, Simon, from one bi-lateral to another isn't it great to have behind you? I thought I had a bit of a hairy ride but compared to you I had a walk in the park. I had a hair-line fracure of the left tibia but nothing as serious as yours as I have not had restrictions on weight bearing on that side. My surgery was right at five hours but as my os said it was a hairy surgery. I was fortunate to be able to come home and not have to go to in house therapy, thanks be to God on that as I think I would have flipped out. Hope things go smoothly for you now that the surgery is behind you and you are in rehab, but with your attitude I imagine you are going to really do well. Attitude plays such a large part in all of this. Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Rowdy

Hi Simon,
I had right hip replacement on Friday june6th. and yes, I too am on Murphy's list.
I just got home today after being transferred to the rehab unit for my last day. they do really get you for 3 hours each session. The getting up and down from them sure wore me out.
Keep up the good attitude, I'll be thinking about you. I sure can not imagine bilateral anything!!!
Judy

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member