Bilateral TKR Update-Bilateral TKRs 2.5 years later

Moka--I hear you, and I relate! I am 64, and feel 74 some days! I am 5 months LTKR, and that knee is doing pretty well, but now the other one needs replacement. I try to stay positive, but some days....

I’m 14 weeks after RTKR and I also need the left one done,it’s been giving me a lot of pain in the last couple of weeks I suppose it’s fed up with having to do most of the work while the right one is healing Anyway pain or no pain at this point in time I couldn’t fathom having the second one done !!! I’m still struggling a little with recovery from this one even though it’s coming along really well.why do today what I can put off til tomorrow :heehee: :heehee:

I went all in and had them both done at the same time.

I don't regret it.

The first 8 weeks really sucked on the scale of things that suck in life but overall I was happy I did it 4 weeks out despite the suckiness.

Today, I feel a heck of a lot younger which gets me into the ODIC (Over Did It Club) frequently.

It's a process and I am 100% certain I would have reservations of having the second TKR at a later date. Who intentionally goes through this?!?!?!?!?!

Last edited by a moderator:
I waited 18 months to have my 2nd TKR. The first one was the left in December 2019 right before COVID became newsworthy in the U.S. And then the right side was done on 6/9/2021. Things are moving along well.

Hello All,
My last posting was in July of 2021 two months after my second knee replacement.
History: RTKR in May 2020 with a Conformis prosthesis
LTKR in May 2021 with a Stryker prosthesis

I would like to begin by saying how much I have appreciated Bone Smart and all who contribute. :thankyou:
But I also know that I had to stay away for awhile because of overwhelm reading the trials and tribulations so many go through. I found I didn't want to report difficulties but to be the one that healed and had successes.
I also didn't want my head going to the dark places of revisions and such and kept believing my TKRs would improve.:shrug:

But I am finally giving in...they haven't. :gaah: I have had periods of improvement but my best weeks have been followed by my worst weeks.
To recap, with my first RTKR I went through 3 vigorous months of PT followed by a popliteal type tendonitis which finally healed after several months, than I had several weeks of normalcy of being able to walk every day 1-2 miles and stationary bike a little (no biggie) and then a tendonitis developed on the front and lateral side of my R knee 2 weeks before having a TKR for my Left knee.
Different surgeon, different prosthesis which I thought would keep me out of trouble.
Because I was still having trouble with my RTKR, my rehab for my LTKR was scaled way back. In fact, I did just a little PT and ADLs also going by the thinking that by doing so, I wouldn't have the same problems as the R where I feel I over did it with PT.
But the long and short of it is that after 2.5+years, I am quite disabled barely able to walk some days and at the very most, can only walk about .25 of a mile twice a week. Most of the time I am hobbling around the house and have a motorized scooter to tool around for outside "walks". Both legs act very much the same where the lateral aspect of the knees tightens up with a little walking and very little bending. I even have a plum sized thickened and swollen area on that area on my R. I have lost ROM with increasing tightness and stiffness but I am at least still about 110-115/0 in both legs. The tightness just worsens and aches the more I stand and walk. Reclining my legs and staying off them for a period of time (ice and ibuprofen used to help) eases things up until I resume any semblance of normal activity. For awhile I assumed I had ITBand syndrome and did therapy accordingly with isometric strengthening and progressive leg lifts and that regimen really helped for about 6 months. Overall, my two major relapses happened when I was up to walking 2 miles several times a week but also followed when I used more than 5 stairs. This was my wall that I have never gotten past.:tiredwheel:
When I f/u with my second surgeon at a 10 month visit, he said that I could be one of those 20% that just don't do well. And when i asked about scar tissue he said could be, but that there weren't good results with removing it.
I never thought I had the dreaded arthrofibrosis or that arthrofibrosis could be increasingly progressive with simple ADL's and minimal walking but I am starting to think that it is and that is my problem. :sigh:
Because I have two different prostheses, had two different surgeons, and have very similar issues in both legs, I am left to thinking this is about me, not the surgeons or the parts.
But then again, I am aware of the many other issues that can arise after researching TKRs ad nauseum.:bored:

The bottom line is that this has been so crazy making and I can't help but admire those that had the courage to keep facing and working through their issues and taking the time to post and share their stories here on Bonesmart.
I update and share now not to be a downer but to say thank you as well as receive any insights and support... and lastly, to hopefully add to a basis of knowledge and understanding.:idea:

I am scheduled to see a new surgeon tomorrow who does revisions here in Asheville NC (Dr Karegeannes). He had me do a bone scan and lab work before seeing him and my bone scan was unremarkable and my C-Reactive protein and Sedrate were normal.
I hope as I continue to share my story, I will be able to relate some helpful insights to people as others have done for me, especially Stiff Knee from NC. Thank you all.:thankyou:

:hairpulling:

Hello All,
My last posting was in July of 2021 two months after my second knee replacement.
History: RTKR in May 2020 with a Conformis prosthesis
LTKR in May 2021 with a Stryker prosthesis

I would like to begin by saying how much I have appreciated Bone Smart and all who contribute. :thankyou:
But I also know that I had to stay away for awhile because of overwhelm reading the trials and tribulations so many go through. I found I didn't want to report difficulties but to be the one that healed and had successes.
I also didn't want my head going to the dark places of revisions and such and kept believing my TKRs would improve.:shrug:

But I am finally giving in...they haven't. :gaah: I have had periods of improvement but my best weeks have been followed by my worst weeks.
To recap, with my first RTKR I went through 3 vigorous months of PT followed by a popliteal type tendonitis which finally healed after several months, than I had several weeks of normalcy of being able to walk every day 1-2 miles and stationary bike a little (no biggie) and then a tendonitis developed on the front and lateral side of my R knee 2 weeks before having a TKR for my Left knee.
Different surgeon, different prosthesis which I thought would keep me out of trouble.
Because I was still having trouble with my RTKR, my rehab for my LTKR was scaled way back. In fact, I did just a little PT and ADLs also going by the thinking that by doing so, I wouldn't have the same problems as the R where I feel I over did it with PT.
But the long and short of it is that after 2.5+years, I am quite disabled barely able to walk some days and at the very most, can only walk about .25 of a mile twice a week. Most of the time I am hobbling around the house and have a motorized scooter to tool around for outside "walks". Both legs act very much the same where the lateral aspect of the knees tightens up with a little walking and very little bending. I even have a plum sized thickened and swollen area on that area on my R. I have lost ROM with increasing tightness and stiffness but I am at least still about 110-115/0 in both legs. The tightness just worsens and aches the more I stand and walk. Reclining my legs and staying off them for a period of time (ice and ibuprofen used to help) eases things up until I resume any semblance of normal activity. For awhile I assumed I had ITBand syndrome and did therapy accordingly with isometric strengthening and progressive leg lifts and that regimen really helped for about 6 months. Overall, my two major relapses happened when I was up to walking 2 miles several times a week but also followed when I used more than 5 stairs. This was my wall that I have never gotten past.:tiredwheel:
When I f/u with my second surgeon at a 10 month visit, he said that I could be one of those 20% that just don't do well. And when i asked about scar tissue he said could be, but that there weren't good results with removing it.
I never thought I had the dreaded arthrofibrosis or that arthrofibrosis could be increasingly progressive with simple ADL's and minimal walking but I am starting to think that it is and that is my problem. :sigh:
Because I have two different prostheses, had two different surgeons, and have very similar issues in both legs, I am left to thinking this is about me, not the surgeons or the parts.
But then again, I am aware of the many other issues that can arise after researching TKRs ad nauseum.:bored:

The bottom line is that this has been so crazy making and I can't help but admire those that had the courage to keep facing and working through their issues and taking the time to post and share their stories here on Bonesmart.
I update and share now not to be a downer but to say thank you as well as receive any insights and support... and lastly, to hopefully add to a basis of knowledge and understanding.:idea:

I am scheduled to see a new surgeon tomorrow who does revisions here in Asheville NC (Dr Karegeannes). He had me do a bone scan and lab work before seeing him and my bone scan was unremarkable and my C-Reactive protein and Sedrate were normal.
I hope as I continue to share my story, I will be able to relate some helpful insights to people as others have done for me, especially Stiff Knee from NC. Thank you all.:thankyou:

:hairpulling:
@Moka
Thank you for posting.
I am feeling same as you.
I have had nuclear scans and found Osteomyelitis in my second left knee.
Have an appointment with family doctor on Friday to see how long the wait with referred surgeon is to deal with that.
I am following you and wish you all the best with your revision.
Good Luck

Reactions: shr
@Moka Im sorry you are still struggling with a poor outcome. I hope the new surgeon can help you. :console2:

By the way, I merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread, as we prefer that members in recovery have only one thread.

This benefits you because all your information is in one place, easy to find, and maintains a nice journal for you.

This also benefits our staff, as your information is all in one place, and we often go back through your thread for previous details, so we know what you‘ve been through which helps us advise you better.

So, please keep all your posts in this thread. If you’d like a new title, let us know what you want, and we’ll change it for you.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
How can I find my threads and posts?

Best wishes on your continuing recovery! :flwrysmile:

Thank you Jockette and Ski Bum. I need to spend time studying how to use this site and respond to reply and post on others feeds.
For now, this is my update: Saw a new surgeon yesterday and his assessment is that I have flexion laxity and lateral instability and wants to put in new spacers in both knees. I have spent some time researching this and some of the bone smart staff have said some have good success with this, especially skigirl. I have researched spacer exchange but only found one other that has had good results. Would you know of any others or anything else on the topic that would be encouraging? Meanwhile, I am scheduled for Feb. 1 to have them both done at the same time. Here we go!! :)

I hope this is the new beginnings you need! I'm not a TKR patient but it does make sense that what he's saying is wrong. Hopefully other's with this experience chime in soon.

Good on you for pursuing this further.

Last edited:
Well, it has been 4 months since my last entry. In my last Dec. entry the plan was to have bilateral spacers put in. But the OS had issues with getting Conformis parts for my RTKA and suggested he do a full revision on my left (as that has been worse) with a more constraining implant and to deal with the RTKA at a later time. (I keep the Right knee in a hinged brace except when in bed).
So, on Feb. 22, 2023, I had a full revision on the Left. Recovery has been much slower. My knee can only tolerate minimal walking around the house and becomes tight and painful with very little exercise. It can only handle just a few daily reps of the basic exercises they have you do the first two weeks after surgery. At 6 weeks my ROM was about 100 but I have lost some of that in the last week d/t pain and swelling. So, I have been getting discouraged again and come back to Bonesmart for better understanding and to offer support for others who also struggle with these crazy making challenges.
I have had three setbacks in about 7 weeks. I could deal with them better if it didn't take about another week of inactivity, reclining and icing to get back to where I was. So difficult to find the sweet spot and to know how you overdid it. Meanwhile, I won't be seeing a physical therapist because there is not much I am able to do with them.
My three years of ebbs and flows have been difficult. Much of the time I rise to the occasion and have learned acceptance and surrender at a much deeper level. I find happiness in far more ordinary things and look to what I can find good and joy in. But, sometimes I sink at the next impasse and that's where I gratefully come back to Bonesmart where I find some perspective, support, and guidance reading what others have posted. I also feel such compassion for all of us who have not had an easy time with this.
I look forward to the time when I can post new gains with this revision.
I'm curious as to how long these setbacks take to recover. I read from many that if they over do it, it takes them about 2-3 days to recover. For me it has always been a week to a few months. And I wonder if that can be a symptom of something else going on. Okay, love and peace ya'll and be good to yourselves.

Last edited:
I just wrote the above post minutes ago. How do I change the title on it?
Thanks

I am so sorry you are having this pain with your revision. It does sound like you are doing too much. Having a revision is even more of a major surgery than a TKR. Please treat your knee very gently and follow its cues. If it hurts more or swells, then your knee isn't ready for that activity and you need to not do it for a few weeks to give your knee more time to heal. Try it again, and you just might be fine.

This is a long-time recovery. You can not speed it up but you can slow it down by doing too much too soon. Just do your normal, gentle daily activities until you heal more. Your knee will let you know. You have already found out that doing too much causes setbacks in your recovery. You don't want that. It is a long enough recovery as it is without adding the time to recoup from setbacks.

What would you like your title to say?

I'm curious as to how long these setbacks take to recover. I read from many that if they over do it, it takes them about 2-3 days to recover. For me it has always been a week to a few months.
This depends on so many things. How far post op we are, how much we over do, etc. At 4 months I had a weekend of overdoing it, and it took me a month to get over it, at which point my son got married, and another several days of wedding activities, which agsin took me a month to recover from!
I also feel such compassion for all of us who have not had an easy time with this.
I do, too. I’ve had a very difficult recovery.

Thank you for your updates, truly. You express very eloquently what I am experiencing at two years. I have faced up to the fact that my knees have never got better, in fact are worse than my old ones, and sought opinions from revision surgeons.
Please keep us updated on your progress. It is so much help in making the decision to take the giant leap and get a revision.
May I ask one question, what did you mean by “a more constraining” implant?

Hi Moka. Yes, you have truly been through a rough time with your knees. I’m in NC as well, my doctors are in Asheville- Dr Lang and Dr. Jansen. Oh and Dr. DePaulo 11yrs ago with my first TKR.
Revisions are more difficult as far as recovery I believe. Hopefully you feel good about your surgeon and he’ll do everything he can to improve things for you.
After my LTKR in Aug. 2022, I was healing great until I jarred my knee badly. Scar tissue grew and it was debilitating just 4 months from my TKR. I had ROM but had to crackle and crunch to get there. I had an arthroscopy done by a sports med orthopedic surgeon and it worked like a miracle. I didn’t believe it would work well and that it would all come back. It was done March 1. I’m doing so well now.
I know our circumstances are different with our knees but I experienced the feeling of “well, this is how it’s going to be, get used to it.”
I hope and pray you can muster more patience for your knees and have faith that your doctors can and will help you. Take care and enjoy our lovely spring in the mountains.

@Moka I had a setback early on that took me at least 2 months to come back from. I expected it to be a few days but boy was I wrong. I’m sorry, that’s probably not what you want to hear, but then again maybe it will help to know you’re not alone. What I (finally) learned is that my knee is very reactive and I had to increase any activity in tiny increments.

Thank you Sistersinhim for your advice and support.
I'm curious as to how long these setbacks take to recover. I read from many that if they over do it, it takes them about 2-3 days to recover. For me it has always been a week to a few months.
This depends on so many things. How far post op we are, how much we over do, etc. At 4 months I had a weekend of overdoing it, and it took me a month to get over it, at which point my son got married, and another several days of wedding activities, which agsin took me a month to recover from!
I also feel such compassion for all of us who have not had an easy time with this.
I do, too. I’ve had a very difficult recovery.
Thank you for your sharing and support.

I am so sorry you are having this pain with your revision. It does sound like you are doing too much. Having a revision is even more of a major surgery than a TKR. Please treat your knee very gently and follow its cues. If it hurts more or swells, then your knee isn't ready for that activity and you need to not do it for a few weeks to give your knee more time to heal. Try it again, and you just might be fine.

This is a long-time recovery. You can not speed it up but you can slow it down by doing too much too soon. Just do your normal, gentle daily activities until you heal more. Your knee will let you know. You have already found out that doing too much causes setbacks in your recovery. You don't want that. It is a long enough recovery as it is without adding the time to recoup from setbacks.
Your advice and support is very helpful. Thank you!

Hi Moka. Yes, you have truly been through a rough time with your knees. I’m in NC as well, my doctors are in Asheville- Dr Lang and Dr. Jansen. Oh and Dr. DePaulo 11yrs ago with my first TKR.
Revisions are more difficult as far as recovery I believe. Hopefully you feel good about your surgeon and he’ll do everything he can to improve things for you.
After my LTKR in Aug. 2022, I was healing great until I jarred my knee badly. Scar tissue grew and it was debilitating just 4 months from my TKR. I had ROM but had to crackle and crunch to get there. I had an arthroscopy done by a sports med orthopedic surgeon and it worked like a miracle. I didn’t believe it would work well and that it would all come back. It was done March 1. I’m doing so well now.
I know our circumstances are different with our knees but I experienced the feeling of “well, this is how it’s going to be, get used to it.”
I hope and pray you can muster more patience for your knees and have faith that your doctors can and will help you. Take care and enjoy our lovely spring in the mountains.
Thank you RaeRae. This was a lovely note you wrote and especially comforting in the ways that you live and access the same health providers that I do. I know of all the MDs you mentioned as I was a nurse at the infamous Mission for many years. I actually had 3 different surgeons for each of my surgeries hoping I'd have a better outcome with the next surgeon. My latest, a revision on the Left was done by Dr Karegeannes. Thanks for your sharing and support. I am so happy to hear that you are doing well now. All the very best to you and may those knees stay happy. And yes, it is a beautiful Spring :)

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
FeatheredKin71
Recent bookmarks