BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. ATTENTION: Download the new BoneSmart® app today! This FREE app is available for iOS or android phones and tablets and will allow you to connect to the forum on all of your devices. The old Tapatalk app will be discontinued February 1, 2018 so get the new app now.

Get The app HERE

Dismiss Notice

[REVISION TKR] Update....3 years on<

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by shelli22, Jan 16, 2015.

1. jboles

jboles senior

United States United States
    Sounds like you’re doing well. Glad you got the nausea under control. That pamphlet sounds super confusing, it’s probably wise to put that thing away.

2. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Push, but don't push. Huh? :shrug::scratch:

3. shelli22

shelli22 member

Australia Australia
    @Jockette thank you. Yep I filed the pamphlet lol

• Like Like x 1
  4. shelli22

shelli22 member

Australia Australia
    Interesting discussion with the physician before I left. He was slightly concerned about my elevated heart rate. I said this is what I was sent to him about prior to surgery. He said it was perhaps tramadol but for peace of mind get bloods done to check for thyroid or hormone issues. Then he said you’ll be off those drugs in a week !!!?!???!!

5. sistersinhim

Off in a week? Or really? Come on, get real. How much elevated was your heart rate? Did he think it was serious? You should go see about it, but it's so hard to do so shortly after your surgery.

6. shelli22

shelli22 member

Australia Australia
    I’m going to get it checked. It sits around 125. ECG was normal. I can’t be off pain meds in a week and the surgeon won’t expect me to be. I just thought how the physician obviously has no idea.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  7. shelli22

shelli22 member

Australia Australia
    Today I went to the shop because I had very little sleep last night as my pillow gave me a migraine again. Wasn’t too bad. Started to sweat by the end of paying but I was really good and didn’t get distracted and go to all the other shops. In buy pillow and leave. Spending the day relaxing now. Leg up and icing. I have the absolute worst sciatica I’ve ever experienced. I can’t get comfortable. Other then using Flexall cream and a muscular cream, both of which are good. I have no idea what to do about it. I’m also using a heat pad @sistersinhim

8. Jockette

Jockette post-grad

I’m sorry your sciatica is so bad. I’ve never had that so I can’t offer any suggestions. :console2:

I’ve had a lot of pillow issues which affect my neck which makes me wake up with bad headaches. I bought a feather pillow in December and I really like it. I’ve bought a lot of pillows in the last year and this one seems to be working the best for me. Pillows are a very personal choice, we all need different types. :sleeep:

9. Jockette

Jockette post-grad

I forgot they even made feather pillows but I remember having one when I was a kid.

We stayed in a hotel in December and the pillows there were feather, so I ordered one when I got home.

10. SusieShoes

SusieShoes FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Feather pillows! I remember all the little feathers poking out sometimes and pulling them out. :heehee:

Your heart rate could be elevated for a number of reasons. My heart rate was 120 after surgery, causing concern, but the reason was mostly that I had severe anemia due to blood loss. Very low hematocrit. I didn’t get a transfusion, just iron pills, and it was a good week before my heart rate went down to under 100. So maybe yours is something besides the pain meds.

Wish I had sage advice for sciatica. You’re not alone in having this problem. Several other members have lamented worsening sciatica after TKR. I think backs in general get put to the test after this surgery, between having to spend so much time off feet, and also because the new knee causes (usually needed) gait changes. I hope your sciatica gets some relief soon!

11. shelli22

shelli22 member

Australia Australia
    I was released from hospital on Saturday, day five. It is now day ten. I can walk heel toe without a stick. I do however take the stick with me when I go anywhere. Each day I have needed something from the shop. I manage this quite well but ensure I go straight to the shop buy what I want then leave straight away. When I get home I ice and elevate.

One of my dogs peed on the floor. Gross. I think it may have been the arthritic one Karma. I stepped in it so off came the stockings and everything washed at 4.30. Floor cleaned then washed twice. Did the dusting while I was at it. Now icing and elevating. Thank you puppies for the extra work. Lol.
    @SusieShoes I bought a bamboo pillow and so far I love it. My heart rate is still up there 95-120 bpm. I have made an appointment with my GP. The physician wants me to have thyroid test and check hormone levels. I’ll update after my appointment

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018 at 12:11 AM
  12. sistersinhim

There go doing those ADL!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Jockette

Jockette post-grad

I thought the same thing!

14. shelli22

shelli22 member

Australia Australia
    Better than physio exercises, however today may be a bit much. I’m in the ODIC I think. However I have run out of tramadol and only have tramadol SR. I think that is affecting my pain levels somewhat. And here we go again begging for pain relief. That’s one of the worst parts of this recovery. Counting tablets so you can space them out and not run out. The dreaded phone call to the PA and the fear of being told your taking too much or your pain should have eased by now or a straight out no. But too bad I’ll be calling in the morning. I’m not doing any formal PT other than heel slides and attempting to straighten my leg but I give up on that fairly quickly because it increases the sciatic pain. I do do things around the house but I trade that off with the rest of the day spent on couch icing and elevating. The discharge nurse told me to ice but only ice ten minutes at a time because the knee will get too cold. I honestly had to stop myself from breaking out laughing. What on earth will ten minutes do? Sigh. Oh well. Filed that info too

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018 at 12:23 AM
  15. sistersinhim

It's the cold that helps to numb the pain! Where do these people get their knowledge? Certainly not from hands-on experience! So, I say to ice as long and as much as you can! I could always tell when my ice was melted because my knee would start aching. Fresh ice is like a great pain pill, but without the brain fuzzies!

16. shelli22

shelli22 member

Australia Australia
    Actually I’m just wondering about the pain meds. I have no idea what to ask the dr for at this stage. He has given me slow release tramadol and OxyContin one in morning and one at night. Then he has given me tramadol six hourly 1-2 tablets but they’re finished. Then endone one or two four hourly, but there are only 20 In a pack so I already had to ring for more which he did and I’m now taking ones four hourly so they last longer but it doesn’t quite cover the pain. Paracetamol 6 hourly. Aspirin 300 mg 1 a day and lyrica twice a day. Once the endone has gone I just realised I’ll only have the slow release tramadol and slow release OxyContin, plus lyrica and paracetamol. It will be day ten. I don’t think I can cope until Monday on slow release paineelied with nothing for break through pain. @Josephine could you please advise?

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018 at 6:17 AM
  17. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    The one thing you've not told me is how much of each you are taking. Like how many mgs in each dose

18. shelli22

shelli22 member

Australia Australia
    @Josephine. Sorry here you go

Tramadol SR 100 mg
    OxyContin 10 mg
    Tramadol 50 mg
    Oxycodone 5 mg
    Paracetamol 665mg x 2

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

19. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Oh dear - I should have said "and when"!

20. shelli22

shelli22 member

Australia Australia
    Tramadol SR morning and night at 6
    OxyContin morning and night at 10
    Tramadol 50mg 6 hrly 10,4, 10, 4