BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs.

Read more about this in this announcement:>

Dismiss Notice

Upcoming BTHR

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by zoohouse62, Feb 18, 2019.

1. zoohouse62

zoohouse62 new member

United States United States
    Hello all. I am brand new to this site and grateful for the information I have found here. I am scheduled for BTHR on March 11. I'm only 56 but very active at the gym and on the golf course so my surgeon recommends both at once. I'm very, very nervous and hope I don't regret this decision, but the pain has reached the point that I can no longer live the life I have to live. A few questions for anyone kind enough to help: 1) The operation will be from the front. How has your experience been with this technique? 2) I will have a spinal instead of general anesthesia. Any input? and 3) Is the advantage of one rehab worth the increase in pain and rehab time involved with two separate procedures?

Thanks so much for any input.

2. djklaugh

djklaugh post-grad

@zoohouse62 Welcome to BoneSmart! You have come to the best place to get answers and support for your upcoming BTHR.

I was 64yo when I had this procedure done 7 years ago and am very, very glad I did it that way. As my surgeon explained and as I found to be true with just one rehab period I regained a normal gait faster and returned to full functionality faster than if I'd done each hip separately. Plus there was only one period of "worry and wait" going up to the surgery date. Surgeon also felt, given I was generally healthy, that one surgery, one session of anesthesia, and one hospital stay was less risky vis a vis complications and risks of infections than doing 2 separate operations.

My surgeon's approach was what is called an anterior-lateral one - incisions straight down the outside of my hips - I had no problems with that. Each surgeon is going to use the approach they were trained in and are most confident of good outcomes. In the long run the site of incisions does not make a whole lot of difference to ones recuperation.

I had general anesthesia for my surgery so I can't speak to the spinal question but I'm sure others will be along with their experiences.

If you go over to the recovery side find a thread with a green Bilateral tag. Click on the tag itself and you'll get a list of all the BTHR threads here. Please feel free to read as many threads as you like (link to mine is in my signature though it is old) to see how others have come through this particular procedure

Good luck to you and feel free to ask any questions you might have

3. Bionic

Bionic post-grad

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @zoohouse62
    Unlike @djklaugh the spinal is the only thing I can talk about that's relevant to you as I had 2 posterior ops.
    Anyway, spinal, as far as I am concerned it's much better than GA. You wake up feeling fairly 'normal'. No nausea.
    Generally you are given the spinal,with sedation so you sleep through the op but it is possible not to have the sedation at all. You can listen to your own music with headphones but I really think the sedation is the best option.
    Your legs will be numb for some hours afterwards but that helps with the pain relief

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

A spinal and sedation are magic. No nausea or groggy feeling in recovery.
    One procedure, one recovery and not necessarily more pain. My colleague @Mojo333 had BTHR using anterior approach. I've tagged her so she can come and chat with you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi, Welcome to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us.
    Following are some articles that may be of interest to you as you're getting ready for your surgery -
    Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?
    Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
    Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery

Additional Bilateral Hip Member Threads -
    https://bonesmart.org/forum/view/hip-replacement-recovery-area.5/?prefix_id=17

Stop by often, we'd love to follow you on the journey.
    A great week to you!

6. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi @zoohouse62 !
    Welcome to soon-to-be bilateral hippydom:heehee:
    I only have my own experience to draw from, but I have to say...I can't be more happy with two new hips.
    My OS also thought I was a good candidate for Both at Once and I am glad to be one and done.:ok:
    There are obviously some challenges in the short term but I too had gotten to the point where my life was too full of pain, lack of sleep....and aren't we ever so lucky to have this opportunity to get our lives back?:happydance:
    I will be 56 this year...shortly after my 2 year hipversary...and I am in better shape than I was 5 years ago (mentally and physically):yes:
    Bonesmart was a godsend for me...so practice up on your patience muscle, take it slow and easy..and get ready to say bye bye to hip pain!:yes!:

• Like Like x 1
  7. kernsac

kernsac junior member

I loved the spinal! I came right out of the sedation, and was surprised the surgery had already been done. I'm hoping the next replacement surgery will go as smoothly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. zoohouse62

zoohouse62 new member

Thank you all so much for all the information. One additional question for those of you who've experienced the spinal route - How long does the spinal last? My surgeon said the plan is to do both but that will depend on the time required to do the first hip. He said there are many spurs that have to be dealt with that will take a little extra time. He said he doesn't anticipate a time issue, but there is that very slight chance that complications would force him to stop.

9. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi @zoohouse62
    Our Nurse Director @Josephine with 50+ yrs experience in Orthopedics is best suited to answer that.
    I've tagged her for you so watch for her response.
    A great day to you!

10. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

11. zoohouse62

zoohouse62 new member

WOW, only 6 more days until BTHA. I think we have the house all prepped and I had my pre-surgery testing. Everything is a go.....except I'm so nervous, anxious, and concerned that its driving me nuts!!!!. I've been involved in sports since I was 5 years old. I've had serious injuries in both football and ice hockey in college that resulted in surgical repairs. But this is just so different for me. This is replacing pieces of my body and it has me totally freaked out. I've been working extra hard in the gym, but time there just gets me thinking more. I tell myself to relax and, through many years of martial arts training, I've learned to meditate to the point that my mind goes completely blank. I've been doing a lot of that lately, but not even that works at the moment. Everything I've read seems to indicate this is normal, but I cant relax. I wake up at 2 or 3 AM and cant get back to sleep because so many thoughts going through by head. Oh well, it will all be over very soon and I can get to being strong and flexible again. Thanks to anyone who takes the time to read this for letting me vent.

• Like Like x 1
  12. mikeycat

mikeycat new member

Canada Canada
    Hi--I too will be having BTHR not exactly sure when and I have the same phobia. I on the other hand have never had surgery. I was a marathoner and have luckily been spared other injuries but this is a whopper for me. I appear to be more incapacitated than you though my surgeon is surprised I can walk. I believe it is the rigorous type of training that has got me here and I am advising others specifically my son to not do what I did.
    It will go well--think of the other side --several weeks later ---oh and by gawd, let me know about the experience. I believe my surgery will be in May or thereabouts--that too is very crippling and disconcerting--the not knowing. Will think good things for you.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Jaycey

@zoohouse62 Very normal to be nervous pre-op. It's all a big unknown. But I can confirm you will not regret this surgery! It is literally life changing.

Keep busy - get everything in order. And keep posting here. It does help to ease the nerves.

I'll tag our resident BTHR hippie @Mojo333 to come and cheer you on as well.

14. Ariel

Ariel junior member

My spinal lasted about 10 hours and recovery was a bit like the scene in "Kill Bill 1" when Ulma Thurman was trying to wiggle her big toe, A nurse would come to my bed every half hour or so and poke we with a needle then walk away laughing when I could not feel it. Within an hour of coming out of surgery I was eating some sandwiches, the same day a young man (Semi pro footballer in his late 30s) had the same op but opted for a general as he was scared of the spinal.... Two days after and I was pulling at the leashes to be discharged but he was still vomiting from the anaesthetic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Mojo333

Hi again, soon to be bilateral pal.
    I had general anesthesia, surgeons choice...mild nausea but nothing horrid.
    I know this feels surreal but as I said in my first post to you...it has truly given me a new lease on life.
    My hips feel very normal..not "artificial" and I have a very active life and a very physical job.
    In my opinion, you will be most challenged by the "let it heal, don't push" recovery part.
    Strong upper body strength is your friend early days. But you have got this!
    We are rooting for you!

16. Carriemay60

Carriemay60 graduate

Canada Canada
    The nerves and sleepless nights are no stranger to most people headed for major surgery I think. My mind got going about 3am this morning and didn't stop until I gave up and got out of bed. You might find :flwrysmile:"venting" here really helps or talk to your wife if you won't get her too anxious. I pick & choose what I tell my husband because I don't want him worrying about my anxiety too! Lol But I think posting here is very helpful and in part it's what the pre-op forum is for. Writing it down is like finally expressing something out loud and can sometimes cut that worry in half.
    There are a number of us coming up soon or just out of surgery and you, @mikeycat and all the the rest of us can support each other in these last weeks and in the first couple of months after surgery.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Mojo333

Hi @zoohouse62
    Just wondering how you were doing as you near your upcoming surgery?
    I heard alot of "Both at Once?!" like I was surely crazy..which wasn't exactly helpful.:unsure:
    I did it...and glad I am One and Done.

The hardest part before was the wait...and then, after, the wait...trying to be patient during recovery.
    You've got this and will be glad to get your life back hip pain free!:yes:

18. Lola115

Lola115 junior member

I had spinal with light sedation. I plan on going the same route for my next go around. Wishing you all the best tomorrow. You'll be done and on your way to a fantastic recovery soon.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Jaycey

@zoohouse62 All the best tomorrow! See you on the other side soon!

20. zoohouse62

zoohouse62 new member

The day is finally here. It's 0330 and I have to be at the hospital at 0530. I had a great weekend. Had a very intense leg workout on Friday and walked 18 holes on Saturday. I was a total lump yesterday and did nothing but relax. Golf was very painful this weekend so it took any doubt away. I know it's time to get this done. As nervous and anxious as I am, I know it has to be done. 0700 scheduled surgery. I can't wait to start rehabbing and begin getting my active life back. I want to thank all of you who helped me through this. It's been a loooooong three weeks. Your info and kind words have helped more than you could imagine. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Goodbye for now to this forum and I'll see you hopefully this afternoon on the post-op side.

• Like Like x 2