Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

upcoming bilateral knee replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

barry lee

I'm due for bitateral knee replacment in 10 days. beginning to get a bit anxious, just want to get on with it. I have been doing the exercises and lost a few pounds, but still overweight (195 lbs, 5'8".)

cotton1958

supremo
Country
United States United States
Hi Barry, and welcome. You will be fine. Doing excercises is important to make your body strong for your rehabilitation, especially anything you can do for upper body. You don't need to worry about your weight, your new knees will support you fine! You will probably gain a little in the hospital from all the fluids, but then probably lose some from meds and perhaps bad hospital food. It's a good idea to not forget to eat protein though to help your body heal.

brs0660

supremo
Country
Barry welcome to BoneSmart. You will do just fine. There are lots of resources here to prepare you and there is lots of support from the members here.

I had my right knee replaced in April and I hopefully am having Left knee done on Feb 8. I am "morbidly obese" and did quite well. I agree with cotton that upper body strength will help enormously as you will need your arms and shoulders to help when using crutches, walker or cane. You can do some leg lifts as well to help built your quadricep muscles. :thmb:

Would it not be nice if we could snap our fingers and find ourselves on the other side! Best wishes. I will be praying for all those hands that will be caring for you. :pray:

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
Barry lee....welcome to BoneSmart! So glad you joined us. We've got a great group of caring folks here who are avialable almost 24/7 to help and support you through your surgery and recovery. Don't hesitate to mention any questions or concerns you might have!!

You're gonna do just fine. This is great, life-changing surgery! The hardest part (as you've noticed) is the waiting for the Big Day. Hang in there!!!

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
Barry, don't worry about your weight....it really will not matter as far as your surgery or recovery goes. We have many members who could lose a few pounds that came through with flying colors. You will too.

The exercises you're doing are great and they WILL help in recovery. So keep them up!

CG'sknees

I agree with all the posts. You will do great. And at those times you feel down just remember that you will only be getting better and better each day. I know this is true because I had RTKA in November 2008. Now I'm at 3 weeks from my LTKA on Jan 8, and I find myself feeling pretty down sometimes. But it's just impatience really, to finally be well.

Good luck to you, friend.

Texas

alpha
Hi Barry it is very hard to wait just take this time and get things ready for when you get home....food, a place close to the potty.lol........good luck to you you will do just fine...............)

Josephine

NURSE DIRECTOR EMERITUS
Nurse Director
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hello, Barry, welcome to BoneSmart. As Jamie says, don't worry about the weight too much - I once nursed a lady who weighed 400lbs who had her knee done and and she did just fine!

OP
OP
B

barry lee

Thank you all so very much for your words of encouragement. I really appreciate your taking the time to share. God bless you all.

wevrldy

Country
Hi Barry,
Best of luck in your upcoming surgery! You are preparing, so you will do well!
Martha

Max Wallace

graduate
The first time the PT stands you up will be amazing, there will be some pain and you will be apprehensive but you soon realize the pain is totally different from what you are accustom to. The first steps I took although wobbly and unsure I new one thing my new knees were already far more stable and painless compared to my old knees and it was just the beginning.

Josephine

NURSE DIRECTOR EMERITUS
Nurse Director
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Most of the "wobbly and unsure" is as a result of the anaesthetic. Takes one a day or three to get over that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Schnoodle1
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom