Up date

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackie

Hi all...well as the heading says 'an update'.....
I have now received my date for surgery early, March...not long to go..:sigh:
Still very aprhensive, but I am now in that much pain I am looking forward to the date...sort of...:pnc:
I have found this web-site to be invaluable...every one has been so positive and reassuring....and that has also taken some of the fear away...

What I would like to ask is why is it that it seems to be the 'norm' for the other hip to have to be replaced after having one of the hips done....:sct:
Its just that I have noticed a lot of you saying how well your hip surgery went....and then to say you can't wait till the other is done....:pzld:

Thank you for your replies ......:flwr:

Hi Jackie,
Glad you found the group! I don't think it has anything to do with having one hip done. I have arthritis and in was in my hips.:shk: I was fine for years as far a no pain or anything. But obviously it eats away at the bone or joints. :hissy:One hip was worse then the other so the Doc decided to do the worst one first in my case. It has been almost two years since then and my other hip is just getting worse now also so I am ready for surgery.
I am not sure if everyone always gets it in both hips at the same time but it does sound like it now that you mention it...:sct:
I am having my hip done in March also so I wish you lots of good things to be rid of any pain your in.:D

Having trouble in both hips can be from the way the hip is constructed (e.g. I know 2 guys, both of whom have abnormalities of the femur run in their families...these abnormalities trash the hip), or it can be from long term compensation for the OTHER side, or injury, or?

A lot of younger people having replacements seem to have the bony abnormalities. I did too,but just one hip (I HOPE) from a childhood injury.

At least on my Nov xrays my right hip is holding up well, it appears that the left one is the only one that's trashed. Hoping that it still shows that when I get the CD of my new x-raysl

Hi Jackie
That's great news that you have a date in March... the time will fly by and before you know it you will be on the road to recovery.

I'm still waiting to see the ortho surgeon and my GP told me that my right hip is the really bad one and the left one, only mild, so in all likely hood the left side will need replacing also... but they will do the worst one first.... so until I see the ortho doctor, I'm in the dark about all of this.

You sound so happy... keep up the positive thoughts and your exercise..
Thomasinaa

Good you have your date - soon be over!

As for your question; it rather depends upon the original cause of the condition. If it's on account of an injury, then it might be confined to one joint but if it's the old "wear and tear" syndrome, then it'll be more wide spread.

Think of the hips and knees as four corners of a square; in general, all the corners have a tendency to get worn out at the same time. Arthritis is very often an 'all over' condition. Thus we find that if one hip or knee goes, the other isn't far behind. And if the knees go, so might the hips and vice versa!

ai48.tinypic.com_2jz0h4.jpg

Hi, Jackie! So glad you have your surgery date....relief is soon to come!!! The most difficult part is the waiting and we'll be here to help you get through your time.

Thank you so much for your replies.....I realy can't believe that I am looking forward to the surgery...she says with fingers crossed and trepidation running through every bone in her body.....:pray:
But I am....I can not bear the pain, its getting me down.....
What I am trying to focus on is the afterwards.....no not that kind.....the after surgery......I have read so many positive things here....:thmb:
Jo you are right of cause...it does follow that if you are riddled with this complaint its bound to be else where in your body....you should see my index finger for a start...and the others are coming along nicely too....:sigh:
I will keep in touch all things permitting.....take care to you all. :flwr:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member