TKR Unwanted... But much Kneedead TKR

Hoppy Nanny

big-cheese
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Just setting this up for my Recovery Thread (with thanks to @Mojo333 for the Title :snork:.

Op tomorrow morning... got to be in by 7.30am.

Just realised I’ve forgotten to drink those pre op drinks today... so got to cram them in before bed. Probably won’t get too much sleep so hoping I’ll get a hefty dose of sedation tomorrow.

Will update when able.... see you on the other side everyone :sos:

Love Chrissie xxx

Good luck, we'll be thinking of you and hoping for the best possible outcome! Looking forward to your posts about this experience once you feel up to posting again.

In a few months, you'll be glad you had it done! I'm just over 9 months out and I'm so glad to be on the other side. I'm just sorry I waited so long. I could have saved myself years of pain and 20 lbs of weight that I gained while not able to be physically active.

Thanks @Carole4815
All ready... Ive put my order in for very little pain!!! :rotfl:

@CAdesgirl
Thanks very much... It was a toss up in March
whether he did my 2nd THR or a TKR... the hip won but it’s been difficult to recover fully with the knee throwing tantrums all the time..
gait has been a bit off. However, true to form the knee has behaved all this past week or so...:nah: Hopefully I will be able to walk properly in a few months!

Thanks for your support girls... means a lot as you all know!!

luv Chrissie xx

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Especially read number 4 about PT.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Sending magical dust dear Chrissie ... I will visit you tomorrow.
hearts.gif

Fairy Dust2.jpeg Izzy xx

Sending you loads of luck for your operation tomorrow Chrissie look forward to reading your progress x
Enjoy hospital while you are there plenty of rest /meds and tlc
Will keep you in my prayers tonight
Hugs Sarah xx

Thinking of you Chrissie! Hope you are resting well and have the good stuff for pain. I bet the nurses will love you. Such a fun loving spirt. Take good advantage of all the tlc. :loveshwr:

xxxxxxx Sarah

Thinking of you @Hoppy Nanny
I hope you're resting comfortably by now and any pain is well managed.
Wishing you comfort and a peaceful afternoon and evening. :friends:
Sending love and hugs :loveshwr:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562