TKR Unsure about my progress.

I like your surgeon, @KMLknee . He sounds sensible and he also has a sense of humour.

That’s really good news!! I have been following your blog and have found it very helpful as I move forward in this process. Both your posts, and the posts of all the other supportive members who have responded to you, have been a source of comfort to me as well! I am five weeks postop and still struggling, but hoping each week will get a little better. And when I read blogs like yours, I realize that it will :) Good luck to you as you move forward with your second surgery. I’m sure that all you have learned this time around will serve you well!

@Muldoh I'm glad reading my posts are helpful and comforting to you. I know everyday I had/have fears that I've either done something wrong that I shouldn't or didn't do something I should. This whole thing has been scarry for me. I'm very much a person who needs to be in control and well in this process that is almost impossible. I still sometimes think I should be further along than I am. But reading the stories of others on here and truly listening to the advice given has really helped me to "let go" and trust the process. I'm still having to ice at the end of the day, and sleeping is still difficult with positioning. But there is light at the end of the tunnel. I truly just hit a good place just about a week ago. Prior to that I thought I had made a huge mistake. I was tearful and in pain and depressed. I mean you can't exactly undo it. All I could think about was "what have I done?" . I'm not quite 3 months out and no where near great. But I do see improvement and no longer have regrets. Hang in there. We've (you've) got this!

Hello everyone. I just want to check in. 11 weeks post op tomorrow.i am having less pain over all but I still have a small area on the outer aspect of my thigh and knee that swells and hurts at times. I'm generally in no pain or only a mild ache. My only real frustration is the limp. No matter what I do, with heel lift, without heel lift, short strides, long strides, focusing on heel toe, I still limp. The first few steps after getting up are the worst!!!
I still can't get the :censored: thing straight either but I guess that may be part of the problem. I am waiting for the day when it finally does what it's supposed to do. Anyway I just wanted to say hi and that I'm still trudging along. Have a good week everyone.

@KMLknee If you are still limping be sure to use a cane or crutch for support. And keep icing - sounds like you still have inflammation. Glad your pain has decreased!

@Jaycey I was trying to walk without the cane to force my leg/knee to work harder and to bear more weight hoping to get it to straighten fully. So you think that's a bad idea? PT said I didn't need it and my surgeon didn't mention it so I wasn't using it.

Unfortunately you can't force your op leg to do anything. It is in charge now. PT has a mental checklist and use for everyone. If you have a limp you need an assistive device. Use it until that limp disappears. A cane or crutch will let you build strength gradually in that leg.

hoping to get it to straighten fully.
Your leg will eventually straighten, in time. Your other leg is probably affecting it. It will all work out in time, after both knees are done. Don’t try to rush it, that will cause more harm than good.

@Jockette I'm trying to just relax and let it be but it's hard. I'm starting to feel depressed and frustrated all the time. I believe you when you say it will get better. I had no idea that this would be so challenging. It has been a really tough 3 months. Thank you
for the support.

Getting rid of the limp is hard for a lot of us. I'd suggest asking your PT for tips, but looking back I see you didn't have the best experience with your PT. :(
So like others have said, just keep practicing.

One thing I have done in pt is walk using 2 long poles...like sticks. That really has helped me to walk with am even gait. I ordered some walking sticks...people use them for hiking etc. They work the same way. Maybe that would be helpful to us when walking even around the house.

Hello all! I haven't checked in in a while. I'm just giving an update. I'm still limping!!!! I believe my extension has improved but haven't had it measured since I stopped PT. It seems as if my flexion has improved beyond the previous 127°. I am able to kneel at church but not on the hard floor. I am truly frustrated since my function and mobility is worse than before surgery. Saw PT Monday to figure out the limp and she says my RT hip is weak and "falling" when I walk. She gave me some hip exercises and I do see a slight improvement. I can walk almost normally without shoes but I still can't walk right with shoes on. Oh and my RT leg is about 4-5 mm shorter than the left. Left knee is scheduled for 9/9/20. See my pre-op post KMLknee's Second TKR scheduled. I am scared to death I won't have good results with it either. But I feel like I have to go ahead to straighten the left knee and make them the same length. Hopefully that will help the right knee and limping eventually.

I am not sure if anyone else suggested it but you might need to get new shoes. Your old shoes might have retained wear that is throwing your leg and knee off. I had one side of a heel worn down lots more than the other when I checked my shoes after my replacements. Once I put on new shoes without the wear on them it was easier to walk correctly though I still prefer to be barefoot but that is not related to my knee or walking.

@leejaa Boone mentioned it butI thought about the shoe thing. I decided I would wait until after the second knee since they were going to be so close together. I didn't see the point in spending that much $ twice. I did change out my insoles though. I use Power Step insoles due to high arches. Thank you for thinking of that as another possible obstacle. I'm wondering if this will ever end. I went to the grocery a bit ago. Was walking fairly normal when I left the house and by the time I made it home I was seriously hobbling. Crazy
I never wear shoes in the house. :loll:

I think you’ll see a good improvement after your second knee is done and both are healed. Right now it’s like getting new glasses with only one updated lens. Try to keep the faith. :console2:

My recovery was very slow. I was nowhere near back to normal even at one year. It seemed everyone else on Bonesmart passed me and recovered, while I still struggled. But, I had a lot of improvement in my second year, and even some more in my third year.

I’m not saying you will be like me, I’m just saying that improvements can happen for a long time.

My case is different, I had a somewhat controversial Patellofemoral partial, and it didn’t go well. I later learned that some surgeons won’t even do them. I wish I’d known that before my surgery!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562