TKR Unsure about my progress.

Mrs. Ciz

Country
United States United States
Good evening all. I just want to vent a minute. I did it again. I clearly have done to much. Today I have pain and a little pocket of swelling right next to the outside of my knee cap. I did mostly stretching and cycling yesterday in Therapy. There were some straight leg raises and quad strengthening exercises trying to gain complete extension. I'm miserable. For some reason I just can't seem to listen to you guys. I have got to start following your advice. I have therapy again next Tuesday and Thursday. If I didn't have to see my surgeon I wouldn't go at all. I am going to ask him Thursday if I can quit. I have 4 more approved visits but I'm starting to agree that it is doing more harm than good. Rest and ice and elevation in my weekend plans. Nothing more than daily needs and dog walking for me.
I promise I'm going to get it. Even if I am really hard headed.:oyvey:
Hi @KMLknee
I also did cycling (8 min warm up) during my PT appointment on Wednesday this week. It was the first time I’ve done it. Usually he has me warm up on the recumbent stepper machine, which I love. I really like PT and always have left with my knees feeling better than they did before the appointment. But the cycling was hard and did me in afterwards. I was back to 2 crutches to walk the next day, and my right leg is still sore today. In retrospect, I don’t think I was ready for the cycling even though it was within my current range of motion. Maybe you weren’t either?

OP
OP
KMLknee

KMLknee

Country
@Wolvesfan oh wow! That is a huge difference. Mine looks significantly different than it did Monday, but not in a good way!:hissy: It is truly angry. I was talking to my husband earlier and told him that I'm not only going to ask my doctor if I can quit after Thursday, but I'm only going to do PT for 4 weeks with the next one. I would rather progress slowly than to improve and then be back in pain to the point I wish I still had some hydrocodone. This is insane.

Jockette

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
. I was talking to my husband earlier and told him that I'm not only going to ask my doctor if I can quit after Thursday
While it’s nice to have your surgeon’s/PT’s agreement, it’s really your decision whether or not you go to PT. You can choose not to go at all, or stop any time you think is best.

In my recovery I was afraid to stop going to PT, at 4 weeks post op, even though I knew it was counterproductive for me to spend the next 2-3 days recovering from the previous session. I didn’t want to make my surgeon angry, and he was a big fan of PT. So, I cancelled most the rest of my appointments and only went twice between weeks 4-8 and was discharged with my PT’s approval.

That was then, this is now, and if I do this surgery again, I won’t go to PT, and I won’t ask anyone’s permission. I will do my own rehab at home and be much better off than I was this time.

Take charge of your recovery and do what is best for your particular knee.

OP
OP
KMLknee

KMLknee

Country
Hi @Mrs. Ciz I'm so sorry to hear that you are back on crutches. Hopefully you will feel better tomorrow. I've been cycling since the first session so that's not it. But..... She had me put the strap around my foot, lift my leg straight up in the air, push against the strap as hard as I can to keep the leg straight and the quad engaged and then slowly lower it. Repeat X10. I hope that makes sense. Then she sat on the table and placed my leg on her shoulder, and pulled it straight while pushing lightly down on my knee. She did this several times rotating my foot out, in and center. This did not hurt at the time but it sure as h### does today.

OP
OP
KMLknee

KMLknee

Country
@Jockette You are right of course. I have never been one to be bullied or forced to do what I don't want to do. I think it's fear of going against my surgeon and therapist and then not progressing any further. At that point I will be really upset with myself. Of course I'm not really progressing too well now am I?:loll:I'm going to tell the doctor next week that I'm done. This is nuts.

Jockette

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
I was so afraid if I didn’t do what they said, and then had a problem come up later, that my surgeon wouldn’t treat me. I was so “innocent” back then. But I’ve learned so much in the 3+ years since my surgery.

I’ve had back problems for years, and some of the exercises did bother my back, and I had no trouble telling the PT that I wouldn’t do anything that was going to affect my back, and he said ok, but that’s as far as I “rebelled.”

There really isn’t any reason you can’t do your own rehab, at your own pace. Especially at this point. By now you have a good idea of what feels good to your knee and what doesn’t. Use common sense and you’ll come along just fine. Try to be patient, this is a long, slow recovery, but you’ll get there!

Mrs. Ciz

Country
Hi @Mrs. Ciz I'm so sorry to hear that you are back on crutches. Hopefully you will feel better tomorrow. I've been cycling since the first session so that's not it. But..... She had me put the strap around my foot, lift my leg straight up in the air, push against the strap as hard as I can to keep the leg straight and the quad engaged and then slowly lower it. Repeat X10. I hope that makes sense. Then she sat on the table and placed my leg on her shoulder, and pulled it straight while pushing lightly down on my knee. She did this several times rotating my foot out, in and center. This did not hurt at the time but it sure as h### does today.
Yes, I know this exercise. I’ve done it a couple of times in PT so far. I’m so sorry it made your knee mad!!!! If only we had crystal balls and could predict which exercises we’ll pay for the next day!!! I don’t want to give up PT though because most of the stuff I do really makes my knees feel good.

Jockette

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
I don’t want to give up PT though because most of the stuff I do really makes my knees feel good.
This means you are getting good PT. It’s all about listening to what our knee tells us. I’m glad you are having a good experience!

OP
OP
KMLknee

KMLknee

Country
@Mrs. Ciz I don't think everyone should give up PT especially if it is helping you. I hope that you do well and I'm happy it's helping. I did really well the first 6-7 weeks. And I don't think the people in this forum are discouraging PT. I think they are saying that we know our bodies better than anyone and that it is up to us to decide if therapy is helping or not. If what they are asking you to do is painful, you have the right to say no or stop. Of course if you are getting results and are happy with therapy then you shouldn't stop. I personally think I have gone as far as I can with them. They are working hard and working me hard to get my extension to 0° and it's not budging. At this point all this work is just painful and ineffective. I'm ready to just let time and nature do their part.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
At this point all this work is just painful and ineffective. I'm ready to just let time and nature do their part.
Sounds like a plan. All that forcing is totally counter productive. It only creates more swelling and pain.

You can do your own PT. Gentle stretches and bends. Ice and elevation. You will get there when your knee is ready!

sistersinhim

Country
I'm not only going to ask my doctor if I can quit after Thursday
You don't have to ask or tell your doctor anything. I never took PT even though my OS gave me a prescription for it. I knew what to do and what not to do to rehab my knee. I figured that was no need to stress my knee by extra traveling and stress my bank account by paying the copay when I could do the same things at home at my own pace.
Then she sat on the table and placed my leg on her shoulder, and pulled it straight while pushing lightly down on my knee. She did this several times rotating my foot out, in and center.
You should never let anyone push or pull on your knee or leg. Your knee will get there when you just forget about it and let it heal on its own.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Lisa’s Petals
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom