PKR How to walk?

Hi all, advice if possible please. This is driving me mad not knowing.
What is the difference on doing our leg bends. ???????
So, sitting up (on the bed) I find it easier to bend the leg (keeping the good leg straight).
Lying flat, every time I try to start slowly bringing the leg up, it immediately feels like a brake is on!!!!!! I then keep doing little slow movements until eventually it starts to let me bring it up. Eventually. Normally get to 90 ROM ( I will be 5 weeks post op on Tuesday).
Also, saw physio on Friday who was very pleased with my progress, he has given me 2 new exercises. Just would like thoughts if this is what others may be doing.

1. Stand against a wall, body slightly away from wall and very slowly slide up and down, basically squats.
2. Stand up sit down on chair, no holding on.
I did a couple of the wall slides whilst with him, not going down very far and the next day my knee was not happy, so using my best friend ice.
I know we all heal different but appreciate any feedback x

Your 2 new exercises are strengthening exercises, not rehab for a knee. The rule is if it hurts don't do it. Plenty of time to strengthen once that knee is healed and bending well.

Ahh thank you, yes need to concentrate on rehab first, main priority.
Are you able to answer my first line of query.
Thank you x

Don’t worry too much about the heel slides. For some reason many of us find it hard to do that bend while we are laying down. (In fact I still do, 3 years post op! My ROM is fine in other positions) The main thing is to give your knee gentle bending movements, any way that is comfortable. Doing any exercise that causes pain while you do it, or later, is counterproductive.

PTs just love to add to our list of formal exercises. The movements our knee gets during our general daily activities is really all it needs, especially at only 5 weeks post op:

Regaining our ROM is more about Time than repetitions of a list of exercises.

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all
along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Normal activity is the key to success.

Just like you, I have good days then bad. Still wake up 3x night, but can sleep a bit longer before the first wake-up now.

Progress seems to ebb and flow. Like you, surprised at how hard this was especially after several joint/other surgery recoveries.

Had lady who brought her mom in to PT last week tell me she had her TKR last September. She said it got much, much better month 4, so something to look forward to.

It seems such a slow process doesn't it. After doing the exercises religiously you expect a quicker response but after reading the different cases on here, brings you back to the real world. The word is patience and thank goodness for this wonderful site. Wish you well x

Hi Andy- I too have a left PKR (on January 27th). Also have felt the frustration of the sloooow recovery and surprise that it is still so stiff. It takes me hours to get downstairs in the morning; first thing waking up (don't sleep well) is the worst for me--really stiff and sore. Lately my legs have been achy--I guess it is because I am on my feet more during the day, but that is depressing since I was walking three miles a day before surgery. Now a spin around the house is about all I can handle. But you will like this site, and we can commiserate and cheer on kneedy buddies (Well I couldn't resist that one :)
Glad your physical therapy went well; there are so many sad stories of pushing too hard and losing ground with recovery. Today it is actually hitting 46 degrees and I plan on a little walk around the lake near me. Nature is my best medicine.

Oh envy your walk but wish you well in recovery. Mornings are not good with stiffness and soreness, really takes a while to get moving. I get up in the night 2 or 3 times to grab ice or a welcome cup of tea from my hubby, and it is awful on movement then also. We all know that this is a long process and the best is to do as we are told, be sensible and grateful for this site. Tame care x

Well I managed quite a long walk this afternoon. Used my trekking poles for balance. Only one bad step uphill where I was warned but that awful bullet through the kneecap pain. It will be interesting to see how I feel tomorrow...hopefully this one mile won’t come back to bite me.

@Jockette
Wondered if you can advise; I am walking like a robot, can't get the bend. On one crutch, but indoors not using unless having a bad spell. How do you get to walk properly or will it come naturally. Thanks x

I think switching to a cane might help as your shoulder would be less involved. I still use my cane about 30% of time when I am outside. Also try some flexion while lying down in bed and sitting, towards having it upon walking and standing. It will get better -- your knee is still very new.

Last edited:
Thank you, much appreciated. Just still so stiff, will work at it x

I believe your walking will improve mostly on it’s own, as you heal. You might want to think about “heel to toe” as you walk.

And yes, a cane or a crutch could still be very helpful. I used my cane well past 3 months, and way longer after that if I was outside on uneven surfaces.

To be honest, I didn’t stress out about how I was walking. I didn’t have a problem walking before surgery, so I didn’t have anything to retrain. If I was tired and aching I did the straight leg walk. My walk came along just fine.

Also, which partial did you have? Medial, Patellofemoral or Lateral? Mine is a Patellofemoral.

Take it from someone who had to use a walker for seven years to get around due to a TKR that went bad in 2012. Now that I have a new knee learning how to walk again without any assistance has been a challenge and then some.

The answer for me is mind over matter the more I continue walking around the better my walking strike gets. I'm just grateful after all these years that I can walk again even though it has a little hitch to it LOL

Well done, sounds like you have had your share of grief. I am 5 weeks post op, will continue with rehab and try not to think too much when walking. Thank you x

I was much happier with sticks over crutches, found it much easier to walk naturally, although it took concentration to ensure heel went down first before moving through the foot to the toes and lifting the heel first.

Your knee sounds pretty much like my first one. It stiffened so easily. I never did do heel slides lying down, found them all difficult last time and for me it worked better doing 2 or 3 every hour or so rather than 10 in one go to begin with. You'll get there, 5 weeks is still pretty early in this lengthy recovery.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom