THR Unexpected hip replacement

SusieQ23

Country
United States United States
Hi
I fell and broke my left hip 8/26. The hip replacement was 8/28 and I was discharged 8/30. I was not prepared for this experience but think I am doing well. I am staying with my sister and can get up and walk, use the toilet and shower on my own. I was only given a weeks worth of pain meds and that has me suffering. I called on Tuesday with no response. I am calling again today. Any suggestions?

ICE! it's better than pain meds. Ice often and for long enough periods of time.

@SusieQ23 So sorry you had a fall. Yes, it a shock to need a hip replacement. But to be honest - THR is a shock for anyone needing this surgery. Ice, elevate and take those pain meds around the clock, as prescribed.
I was only given a weeks worth of pain meds and that has me suffering. I called on Tuesday with no response. I am calling again today. Any suggestions?
Try your family doctor (PCP). Typically the surgeon hands you back to your primary care.

Here are you recovery guidelines:

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
We are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for YOU.“ Your doctor(s), physiotherapist(s) and BoneSmart are here to help. But you have the final decision as to what approach you use.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Welcome, @SusieQ23! I can't imagine having a surprise THR; I had months to prepare myself for mine!

So sorry you were only given a week's worth of pain medication. I'd keep pestering the surgeon's office -- and if you can't get through, perhaps try your primary care doc?

In the meantime, you might want to try taking Tylenol as follows: 1000 mg (2 "extra-strength" tablets) every six hours (4 times/day). It will take a day or two for the analgesic to build up enough in your system for provide some relief but I was surprised at how much it helped with my pain. Just be sure not to exceed 4000 mg/ day -- check your other medications to be sure they do not contain acetaminophen (the active ingredient in Tylenol).

Also, as others have suggested, ICE, ICE and more ICE. It is incredibly effective for pain relief. You can ice around the clock if you want, just be sure to keep a towel or some other buffer between the ice pack and your skin.

You'll find more details about icing and pain relief in the articles that Jaycey shared.

So glad you found us!
:welome:

ICE is going to be a big one for pain management. If you have access to an ice machine, or have benefits to cover for one, they are miracle machines. Pain management was fantastic when I went through mine, because the machine provided consistent COLD relief for a few hours at a time without causing any skin burns like ice packs can if they were to be left on skin for to long.

ICE ICE ICE!

@SuzieQ23, I want to applaud your positive attitude at an unexpected major surgery. Most of us "hippies" had months to get our heads together. Consider us at BoneSmart as your friends and keep us posted. Wishing you a continued speedy recovery and healing. God bless!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Gsd33
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom