BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. ATTENTION: Download the new BoneSmart® app today! This FREE app is available for iOS or android phones and tablets and will allow you to connect to the forum on all of your devices. The old Tapatalk app is being discontinued so get the new app now.

Get The app HERE

Dismiss Notice

Undergarment Assistance

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by AgilityDog, Jan 10, 2018.

1. AgilityDog

AgilityDog graduate

United States United States
    I need help. (I hope I am not beyond help. :dogwalk:) I have read about undies and surgical sites. I understand that I want under wear that will not be tight across that area. Would boxer style work? Will I want them in the hospital? Au natural :shocked:under the normal flattering hospital gown just doesn't give me warm fuzzies.

2. SaraK

SaraK post-grad

You'll likely have a bandage that will provide some padding that will make the choice of style less and issue than the size. The best style depends on the approach you're having. I'd think boxers would be good for anterior but less helpful for posterior. I had SuperPath which is a type of micro posterior. I bought a pack of "granny panties" one size up and the entire incision was covered and not on elastic line. I've heard some say they took some older pairs and cut the elastic off the leg openings. Like anything else - what are you going to be most comfortable wearing?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Poodles

Poodles member

@AgilityDog I had old granny panties that I cut the leg elastic out of in the front. I was glad I hadn't thrown them away, LOL! My P.A. suggested my husbands boxers, but thought better of raiding his drawers (so to speak)! :heehee: I wore my yoga pants home from the hospital and moved to loose pj's and sweats for the first two weeks, then went back to the yoga pants when I went back to work.

Truthfully, I didn't have any worries until they took the bandage off at 10 days (earlier than normal). There was so much padding on it, nothing bothered me at all...until it was gone. Then I cut up a few more panties and did "delicate" laundry a bit more often so I wouldn't need to destroy more.

• Like Like x 1
  4. AgilityDog

AgilityDog graduate

I guess when I find out what is planned, I will figure out the appropriate undergarment. I had ultrasound on that hip & the PT tucked a washcloth around my underwear. Then she tucked the sheet over me.
    I don't want to 'flash' any innocent bystanders.

• Like Like x 1
  5. jaydub63

jaydub63 senior

@AgilityDog It depends on how they close your incision and if they want you to keep it covered or not too. I had glue/internal stitches for a mini posterior and didn't have a bandage or anything over the incision from the day after surgery. I wore my regular undies without any issues. If you have staples or stitches you may have more concerns about undies or clothing getting caught on them.

6. AgilityDog

AgilityDog graduate

@jaydub63, even without experience, I cringed at the thought of clothing catching on staples or sutures:yikes: I will put that on the list for the doctor to answer. And move on in my list creation:kayak:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. sequin98

sequin98 senior

Canada Canada
    I heard that you will be without underwear? I am just thankful that I won't get my period anywhere near this..

8. AgilityDog

AgilityDog graduate

@sequin98 Silly me. I knew there were different approaches and I knew I didn't want elastic rubbing on staples or sutures, So, I wondered if undies could be taken care of now. Maybe something like gentleman boxers would work no matter the approach. I sorta figured I would not have any undies on in the OR. If I will, I will do the opposite of my norm for a doctor visit. They would be clean, but old. Or the pair that accidentally got washed with the jeans.:oyvey:

9. jaydub63

jaydub63 senior

@AgilityDog I didn't have any on until I was getting dressed to go home! I was only in the hospital for about 30 hours. Truthfully it made it much easier for those first trips to the bathroom in the hospital to not have to worry about undies and getting them up and down. I agree that some boxers would probably work for all the variables in surgical approach and incisions once you are clothed again lol.

• Like Like x 1
  10. AgilityDog

AgilityDog graduate

@jaydub63 that is great to know! Thanks for making me feel more comfortable

11. EmEm

EmEm member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi @AgilityDog, when I got ready to go to the OR I was given a pair of undies that were made of mesh. They made me feel comfortable and covered up but would have been cut off in seconds once I was on the table. I didn't have them on when I woke up! I took soft pjs to wear during the day in hospital and carried on for a few days at home because they were comfortable to sit in.
    My posterior approach incision was not as posterior as I had imagined so I wasn't sitting on it and could wear any undies because the scar was covered with a padded waterproof dressing which stayed on for 12 days.
    Good luck with your list-making!

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. AgilityDog

AgilityDog graduate

@EmEm Thank you. I'm surfing online trying to find soft, but not hot. I am in Hawai'i. No heat. No air. Wonderful breeze, but I normally jump up to close windows when it rains so the wind doesn't wash the inside. I will ask about the panties. I wasn't sure if I wanted my own...

13. jbford

jbford new member

Nightshirts. Easy to pull up,when you need to go potty, too. Had to orde mine

14. AgilityDog

AgilityDog graduate

@jbford I have a Disney night shirt that must be over 30 years old. It is long enough to give modesty. I think I will take that with me. I have others that have grown shorter over the years.:censored: Home wear.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. MammaT

MammaT supremo

I didn’t give underwear a second thought through my thr. I did buy several pair of loose jersey capris and shorts since it was summer. Got some extras so I didn’t have to worry about laundry. In the hospital I just wore the lovely gowns, put a second one on backwards when I went for few walks. Since upcoming surgery in winter, got some loose fitting sweatpants and tops so I can stay warm and comfortable.

• Like Like x 1
  16. AgilityDog

AgilityDog graduate

@MammaT I like the idea of not worrying. I might use your 2 gowns idea. I have been taking stock of all my loose pants and shorts to be ready to be a Netflix, bookworm, slug. ( WOW, when I can't sleep, my ability to text decreases)

• Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  17. MammaT

MammaT supremo

Getting my Netflix list together this weekend! One of the prep things on my pre surgery checklist!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

After a major surgery...you're allowed to be a Netflix, bookworm
    and any other kind of slug you want to be! So start the list :heehee:
    Hope you have a great weekend!
    @AgilityDog

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. AgilityDog

AgilityDog graduate

I'm being a slug all together too much NOW. I like that Netflix will let me make a list of anything I might want to watch. I always have a list going.:angel: I am going to try to have all the supplies I can possibly think of, on hand, for NDH. He is already helpful with the laundry, but I don't want to tell him he needs to go shopping for detergent:idea:

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I did the double gown thing at the hospital. Boxers were great at home and I had some high cut briefs one size up to pull safely on... as I had anterior approach that stayed off of my incision to wear under sundresses in summer mainly for Dr appointment.
    Boys cotton boxers and T-shirt were standard daywear when just around family. They were so big I rolled the tops to make them fit!:dubious:

• Funny Funny x 2