TKR Tykey's second knee replacement

I still do stairs one at a time as the click is more noticeable if I do them normally but I really need to overcome this ... :old: God help the people behind me in the queue to go on the plane next week:rotfl:

I always do handicap options while traveling (with a cane). Sadly people are ruder now and a cane and wheel chair provokes more civility I've noted. I just recently traveled across the state on the Greyhound bus, and made sure I took my cane. I always will. Even if just a folding cane I can pull out as needed as I have some back issues and simply do not respond fast to throngs of folks about me.

I also don't jump up the moment planes, trains and busses stop. Why? For what? To stand for ten minutes for the doors to open. I wait until everyone's nearly off, then I get up. In doing so I don't have to rush or have disgruntled folks breathing on my back because I am not moving super fast.

At week 10 I am finally starting to be able to do step-over-step. For sure it takes time. I get behind the crowds so I can go at my own pace. Not theirs! Going up is easier than going down.

Wow, you are superhuman. I'm such a queasy wimp.

Still just slightly under/at 90% ROM 25 days out.

And I freaked out when wheeled into operating room and saw the nurse/assistant holding the bone saw, which looked like the dremel saw hubby used to cut under baseboards. Told them loudly, "I DON'T need to see that, please!"

Definitely needed to be knocked out when they did this. Was awake for 2nd hand surgery revision, and woke up during first (with breaking/grinding/resetting of arthritic finger), but that was so much less traumatic than knee surgery.

One of my abiding memories from my first TKR, 10 years ago was the prep room was next door to the surgery. As I was being prepared, the surgeon was doing the previous victim.
Of course there were the expected noises, similar to my local butchers, but there was also a strong smell of hot/smouldering bone.
Maybe he had bought a new Dremel this time, because there was no smell!

Phew...luckily, before they even sent me to the OR, a little Versed (a benzo and amnesic) and I only remember them trying to move me to the operating table...after the spinal!! I was a rag doll, then out! Woke up with no memory of smells or sights of saws :dubious: and no pain for about 18 hours!!

I've always tried (mostly, but not always, successfully) to nurture the thought that it does no good to fear what is in the future, especially if I can't do anything about it.
I'm not at all brave, I just don't let the thoughts enter my fuddled brain.
TKR is difficult AFTER the op, so I keep my powder dry for that time

Oddly enough, the thing which scared me mostly in my life was asking this beautiful girl out on our first date. We have now been married 48 years, which proves that the worrying was a waste of time.

So here I am, now coming up to 6 months. The knee continues to be recovering brilliantly, I rarely even think about, and it certainly doesn't physically stop me doing anything I want.
The thing I have been disappointed with is the lack of enthusiasm, energy and stamina.
So I could do anything, but not much of it!
This doesn't make sense, because I'm not old (72) and not obese, no other physical problems.

I had a bright idea the other in that it's not my body holding me back, it's that jellyish grey matter between my taboils. (Taboils is the Yorkshire slang for ears!)

Some years ago, I used CBT to sort out a stress problem, and it worked great!

If you aren't familiar with it, CBT is Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, and looks at how we think impacts the way we behave, and how the brain controls it. If we think negatively, we behave in a way which supports that thought.

So I dug my old book out and only read 3 pages before my brain remembered the old training and reloaded it, it's like when I reloaded an app which I had forgotten on my computer.

So, 3 pages, a few minutes of contemplation and I'm suddenly walking faster and further, enjoying it more, and I'm zooming around the house fixing the things which have needed fixing for weeks or months.

If you are depressed, tired, fed up, and a pain in the neck for everyone around you, it might help. BUT you have to be honest with yourself with your thoughts.

If interested, Google CBT.
It's only 11am, and I've already cleaned out the fridge, changed the bedsheets, repaired 2 window blinds, cooked my wife her breakfast, loaded the washer etc etc. I only got out of bed just before 9am.
Next, changing a light fitting, then taking the dogs for a long walk. (We've had a snow shower, but it's now sunny)
I'm a "white tornado!"

What a good suggestion. Too bad you're so far away. I have lots of things that need to be done here that you could do!

Tykey, great work! I like the white tornado abilities you get from this!! I'm a trained counselor and Cognitive Behavior Therapist (CBT) and familiar with some of its cousins: Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT), Cognitive Processing Therapy (CPT), Cognitive Stimulation Therapy (CST), and Compassion Focused Therapy (CFT). These are strong choices for this type of thing.

Part of what neuroscience has studied is how we lay down the negative thought processes and the fact that they get "cemented" in our "jellyish grey matter", as you say! Seems the myelin sheaths on our neurons have something to do with this. The genius of CBT is that it helps us learn how to catch ourselves in the process of those negative thoughts and then use the skills taught in therapy to rebuild the positive thinking. Or, quite likely, rebuild myelin sheaths and build stronger neurons for positivity!

Fortunately, for us, the development of CBT began in the 1960's and has been proven to be a wonderful help for many! You do use the correct terminology in saying we must be honest with ourselves! I would add we also must be committed to doing the work that being honest entails, it can be quite painful for some people!

In this long, and I might add, physically challenging TKR recovery, I think it is easy to default to the negativity that unfortunately saps our strength and stamina with negative thoughts. The conundrum is that we are already challenged by the physical demands of the surgery, we get through the early weeks, because painkillers and daily improvements encourage us, but for many the changes slow way down and at 6 months (for some it's even 1 year and much more) there are still struggles. The blessing for a TKR recovery with CBT is that it can pull you out of the rut of pain and negative thinking. You can recognize the difference in the pain of week one vs. the stiffness, at times, of 6 months. If instead, we turn our thoughts to the silver lining, (not like pollyanna, but with CBT skills) we benefit in the long term by increasing our energy levels as well as our entire outlook on life!

Keep up the good work "white Tornado"!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow Go Tykey Go ...such good news actually it's been your upbeat look on life that has helped me stay focused everything you said in my earlier days came true, life now is oh so much better, even the icy coldness of Blightey isn't getting me down- the abundance of primrose everywhere is just a delight.
After having spent time with my brother this morning I decided a brisk walk to Tesco' s was a great idea (Tesco is a novelty to us in Living in Portugal) I was like a child in a candy store only when I got to the till did I realize my full trolley would have to be carried back home so I retraced my steps putting most of my goodies back on their shelves and left with what I felt safe to carry .... tomorrow I will be more sensible and get a taxi haha.
But all in all my knee behaved perfectly :) and my Apple crumble was delicious xx

Hi Sara, welcome to Blighty.

Delighted your recovery is still going well.
I've now got a song going round and round in my head, it's called a ear worm☹️

It's that old record by Fiddler's Dram, Didnt We Have A Lovely Time The Day We Went to Bangor. My brain has changed Bangor to Tesco.

Hi Macknit, that's a very interesting post. I'd never thought about what physical changes are involved in learning change.
Purely by coincidence, my GP has just launched Mindfulness sessions, so I've booked myself into them.
I'm hoping it will help me easily switching on what I learnt in CBT.

I sometimes think I'm turning into Dr Phil. I hope not, because I might have to put up with his wife!

Hi @Tykey
Mindfulness is a wonderful way to slow down and take in the world around us. It has also proven very successful in weight loss and smoking cessation programs.

Some of the best programs for pain, especially chronic pain, come from a combination of CBT and mindfulness techniques. Really good stuff Dr. Phil :heehee:...

I'm sure you will get a lot out of the program with your GP.

Isn't life annoying!
I'm really really really really fed up now.
Nothing to do with my TKR which is continuing it's recovery, I'm really pleased with it
Whilst keeping my head down and avoiding Corona virus, I've just gone and got myself the flu instead.
Lots of aching joints, headache, and every med I take comes straight back up as a pavement pizza.
I'm fed up of singing happy birthday, and whenever anyone suggests I don't touch my face, I realise I have to pick my nose, an eyelash comes lose and sticks in my eye, and a bit of food is stuck in my teeth.
Extra joy!! I think my wife has now caught it.

At least I can look forward to several weeks of isolation in the future.

That darn flu bug is getting a lot of people. About 1/4 of our church has had it, including me and my roommate. You know what to do...lots of fluid and rest.

Be safe Tykey-you and your wife.

Awww sorry to hear that Tykey! It is really hard not to touch your face isn't it? Your post made me laugh because I'm always touching my face for some little itch or something. And then someone points it out and says- hey don't touch your face- I think I feel my nose itching!! I'm sorry you are feeling poorly and now you say your wife has it- what a drag and a bit scary. Thinking of you all and hoping you will be feeling better sooner rather than later. Keep us posted.

You poor sausage, on the bright side you can rest in your recliner watching snooker ( only sport still showing live) read those books and administer some tlc to yourself, sip plenty of lemonsip and eat plenty of vitamin C
We too are all singing happy birthday and staying at home as much as possible, we had to stock up with food & wine.. as
We are facing total lockdown following in Spain's footsteps.
Glad to hear all is well with your knees xx
Other than feeling the change in the weather mine is doing ok even the click is bothering me less :)
Attached a picture of our recommended face masks haha

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1584288497723.jpg
    FB_IMG_1584288497723.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 237
I've now ventured out from my bed, it's taken about 14 days to get on top of the flu.
Comparatively speaking, this has confirmed to me that TKR recovery is a doddle. I would choose another TKR anytime, but I've run out of knees

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads