TKR Tykey's second knee replacement

Ayup folks! (Which is Yorkshire-speak for Hello, Ladies and Gentlemen! )

I am picking up that a few of us who are at similar stages of recovery, despite physically recovering well, are struggling with the slow speed of the last 20%.

I'm certainly getting frustrated with the fact that my energy banks are quickly emptying and I can't get anything finished properly. I have half-finished jobs everywhere I look.

I'm sure it's aggravated by the lack of sunshine and the unachieved expectations of Xmas. I'm pleased we don't have Thanksgiving in the UK

So it's time to gird my loins (whatever that means) and gerron wi' life. Sorry, the Yorkshireisms keep popping up.

So I might be driving Penny up the wall by singing this all day, maybe accompanying myself on my ukulele

@Tykey I blame it on this horrid weather. Does not motivate anyone to do anything. As you know - you'll get there.

Yup - I suffer a bit of this every year. I find it is worse since I moved to Yorkshire. Very short, dark days this time of year.

Someone please send some sun! :blackcloud:

Thankfully we have had a few consecutive days of warm sunshine 20 degrees so solar panels have done their job and we have hot hot water :yes!: rain forecasted next week but we'll be back in the Algarve with plenty of sun my knee certainly is not enjoying the cooler temperature of the North and the shorter days too.
Like you my energy level is practically non existent and if I try to do too much I get that awful tight band feeling and swelling - it is so sensitive to DLA- fortunately I only have to go back to work in the Summer so have great admiration for those having to work full time from 6-8 weeks onwards, I don't think I could at this stage.

Anyway here's Wishing you and your family a very :happy-new-years-toast-smiley-emoticon:
And a happy healthy stronger knee(s) for 2020 :)

Just about at my 4 month mark now.

Whilst the physical healing has gone brilliantly, and continues slowly but steadily, the recovery blues have been with me.
I've had no energy to get up and go, after 10 or 15 minutes of doing anything and I just go and sit to watch TV or lie down for a while. Very little has given me any joy, even taking my dogs for a walk in the beautiful country around here has been a trial. I never walked as far as I planned! I stuffed myself silly with cake, stollen, chocolates, wine, beer etc etc.
Today was weighing in day at Slimming World, and I spent all weekend persuading myself it's not worthwhile, and I'll probably give up. Should I grow a beard because I really couldn't be bothered to shave?

I gave myself a good talking to when I went to bed last night and imagined the rest of my life being tired, idle, boring and fat.
I've spent the last 72 years being energetic, into everything, and being fit.

IM HAVING THAT LIFE BACK !!!!

Woke up this morning, and it was like a light had switched on!!

Walked a brisk mile there and back to Slimming World, delighted to meet all the smiling friends I've made there. Won the raffle, and unbelievably only put on only a measly 1/2lb in the last 2 weeks of dietary abuse.
Then home, shopping with 'er indoors, then a good fast(ish) walk with the dogs, further than I had planned, who filled the time with sheer joy.

Looking forward to waking up tomorrow, planning a really long doggy walk, then some DIY.

The only thing to cause this has been the realisation that having a good happy life is down to us getting off our bums and get up and at 'em. There's only one person who was to blame about the blues, and that was me!!

I am so glad you are feeling better. Sometimes we just have to force ourselves to get up and go. I understand the tiredness and wanting to just vegged out. But, getting up and doing a little something is a big mood lifted.

You are doing so good!

Well, be fair to yourself, the blues come because we’re in a long recovery and it doesn’t go as fast as we’d like. HOWEVER, attitude is a good salve for those blues and picturing the future you had the TKR to get is a good practice. Well done!

"At the end of the day" only ourselves can do it, like you I have been moping about the stiffness, blaming it on the weather but infact I think it's basically me making excuses.. funnily I too I jumped out of "bed full of beans" we drove to Régua which is located along the Rio Douro ( famous for Port wines - Sandeman & Ferreira ) we visited Pinhão a beautiful picturesque village we walked and walked,it was jolly cold only 1.2 degrees
and my knee was as "happy as larry"
So hopefully a new corner has turned for both of us.

Attachments

• 20200102_152520-600x800.jpg
    20200102_152520-600x800.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 259
Reactions: Suz
Oh Tykey I always loved them sense of humor that you had years ago and still have I see. I have just been reading your thread tonight and am happy to read that you have turned the corner now and everything is falling into place for you now.

"Slimming World" has a more positive ring to it than some of the programs here. :)
Glad you were able to "get up and go." I find myself in those lethargic moods too.

I agree "Slimming World" is a lovely name! Good for you @Tykey, I think this time of year is just that dark stage that gets us too. I'm glad you turned the proverbial corner. I've run into a lot of corners on this journey and eventually get back around "to it"

You've been on this journey before, and know it will be back!! I too have mostly good physical days, but not quite the mentality I'm hoping for!

I've included a photo to lift your spirits:

IMG_0131.jpeg

This lovely spring fed river is right across the street from our home. I try to get out and walk every so often. The walks do both my knee and heart wonders!!

It’s been raining for a day, here, and should rain for another day. It’s inconvenient, but that’s my ‘running water, and I do love the sound.

It's been warmer some days here and the rain is peaceful to sleep with it pattering on the roof!!

I Prefer the river sound in summer and winter... great for the knee too! Since this river is spring-fed, it stays at 42 F degrees or 5.556 C year round. I'm tempted to try it for my knee this Summer when the outside temps are much higher!! :rotfl:

My youngest has left for NAS Pensacola, so, other than our last festivities on January 10th, we are settling down from the extra "running" that has kept me a bit edgy with the knee.

Have a positive and encouraging weekend all!

Right! Here's my 4 1/2 month update:

Steady progress continues. ROM keeps improving, stiffness keeps easing, energy keeps returning.

I now rarely notice it, or care.

I've been revamping the bathroom, so I've been up and down ladders and stairs like nobodies business. Even kneeling (for a short time)

The message is the same, I've done absolutely no PT ( doctor's orders) just letting the healing happen and getting on with life's activities.

So, my fellow recoverers, don't stress, don't try hard, be patient, and control the pain with meds ice and rest. Then go for it when it's ready.

I have slacked off the jam Roly poly, though

Great report! Ladders, for goodness sake!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back