TKR Tykey's second knee replacement

@hopalong61 , ayup lass, I live just to the South of Sheffield, were you near here? I'm also a Leeds Rhinos supporter.
Have you decided where to get your new knee? There is a superb place just down the M1 if you want the details. I put my excellent recovery (for both my knees) down to that place. Particularly as they use a pain killing technique during the op, where they inject the knee with a large amount of numbing stuff, so we get at least the first three days with no pain - a flying start.
Really nice to hear I've helped you a bit. Good luck

Hi @Tykey I was born in Eckington (Derbyshire as it was then) and left Sheffield when I was 16 to work in Devon, only came back when I was 21 when I met my (now ex) husband (Bradford bloke) Lived back at my Mums for a while then moved to Leeds where I've lived since 1983. My family are still in Sheffield. I had my RTKR done at Spire Hospital in Elland so will probably go back there i think ? I don't remember a great deal of pain during the first few days (probably down to the drugs !) but I do remember lots of pain after ! I'd already had arthroscopies on both knees prior to my TKR with no problems so was shocked when I needed the MUA. My ROM is about 110 but the extension isn't 0 and my other knee is also shot, so walking long distances or standing for long periods causes me issues still. I also have arthritis in the toes on the same leg as my TKR so that doesn't help either. Debating whether to go back to the consultant about it, but at my check up, the joint is fine, it's a soft tissue/muscular issue so don't think he will be able to do much really. I work full time and have a daughter who has just started her 2nd year at Uni and what with everything else going on my knee just gets pushed to the back of the queue ! Hey ho, there are people worse off then me, i'll sort it eventually, you just gave me hope that it won't be the same next time, and I thank you for that x

At last I might have found out how to post piccies on the new system, I hope
Here are my two canine PT's, Zola and Rosie, the poochon sisters. They provided loads of entertainment!!

FB_IMG_1569532006926.jpg

They are just gorgeous xx
Mine are very wary of my crutches haha they keep their distance but as soon as I'm sitting down my daschund wants to snuggle up on my knee and insists in taking up half the bed :)

Hope you are enjoying your new knee looking forward to hearing your adventures

How did ou reduce the photo size to upload ?

She's baffled me, which isn't difficult.

It's actually a thumbnail which she snipped and saved. Its 12.8 kB, no idea how many pixels it uses.
Its an easy, but inventive way, if you understand, or have, a snipping tool.

I'm not sure how big a photo could be, Jaycey said in an earlier post that it should be 600*400 pixels or less, but the new platform might change this. Pixels are confusing to me because I couldn't find any info on individual photos. Hopefully, we might finish up with a max file size, which are far easier than pixels. Does this make sense?

Lol not really :) but I will Google it ha ha

How long did it take for you to reduce pain killers to just paracetamol ?

About 21/2 weeks, I think, but then I pretty soon stopped the paracetamols as well.
After that I just took them if I overdid it.
The night time one was the last one to stop.

Catching up with you and it looks like you are doing really well! That swelling is a darn and so nice when it goes down! Congratulations on your progress!!

Lovely! My hubby loves music and plays guitar, piano, and trumpet!
Would love to hear you! If you have a YouTube channel, PM me the link and we will have a listen!!

She's baffled me, which isn't difficult.

It's actually a thumbnail which she snipped and saved. Its 12.8 kB, no idea how many pixels it uses.
It looks like 215x170 pixels to me.

Oh, and BTW, my sweetie has been having great fun this year with a baritone ukulele! Now that he is retired, he is trying new things and this is one of them. I think his version of "St. James Infirmary" is amazing but he does not feel ready to play for anyone but me, yet.

Right! That's me done and dusted.
Been for my 6 week review, and everything is hunkey dorey
ROM 95 and zero, so I've been discharged by the physio.
As is the way in the UK, she said to keep doing things the Bonesmart way, even though she didn't know of us. She said just keep gently pushing and trying new things, if I overdid it, back off and try again later.
I need a new challenge!!! Not health related, I've had enough of them in recent years
I was going to climb Haystacks in the lake District, but I'm not sure if I can get there this year. So I might just go and do Mam Tor in the peak District, which is a nice trek up, and only 20 miles away.

Last edited:
@Tykey
Whaaaat! Tell me you are joking? :shrug:
A 5k is walk sounds like a sufficient challenge...phew! I’m in awe!!

So pleased you have been set free ... doesn’t it feel good... you’ve had a splendid recovery... hoping it continues. a true BoneSmart success!

I’m one week today & all not too bad! So far. x

I'm not walking there, Hoppy. Just walking up the mountain and back to the pub for lunch.
You'll soon be striding up Beachy Head!
Make that your target for Boxing Day

Last edited:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • EalingGran