TKR Tykey's second knee replacement

It wasnt strictly playing catch up, because I hadn't got behind and had no pain. I just substituted one for the other. The pain arrived within 5 minutes of taking them, then went away just as easily. Maybe they interfered with the codein?
I've had a very weird afternoon, lots of urgent naps, then waking with a start, not quite knowing where I was. Hallucinations are listed in the potential side effects. I didn't have that beer either!!
I'll not try them again.

lots of urgent naps, then waking with a start, not quite knowing where I was
I hate this feeling! Sounds like that med didn't really do it for you anyway. Maybe contact your GP for an alternate med?

I'm doing OK with the paracetamol and an odd splash of codein. What I need extra is some organisational ability and a memory.

5 minutes later the pain in my knee was amazingly bad. Putting it up on a cushion didn't make any difference. This time it was a severe, consistent stabbing pain. 9.5 on the pain scale.
Oh my goodness!!! :yikes: Tykey, I don't think I had pain like that after leaving the hospital, or maybe not even then. That's really severe! Oh I am so sorry that you had to go through that, even briefly. :sad:

I think the Forum Advisors and Moderators that have been contributing to this thread know a lot more about pain control than I do. So I think you have some good advice. All I can really contribute is that the bonesmarties all care, and hope you get your pain control strategies straightened out in a way that is satisfactory to you. It sounds like that is happening.

Take care. There is light at the end of the tunnel. You are only 6 days past surgery. I am 29 days past surgery and I seem to be about done with any need for pain medication by now.

I'm doing OK with the paracetamol and an odd splash of codein. What I need extra is some organisational ability and a memory.
Great!
I have a text file on my computer desktop called "pills.txt". I just write down in it the time when I take a pill, and the time when the next one is due. Otherwise I'd forget.

I've got a digital egg timer and a piece of paper I could use. I really must do something, because all told I take 8 different meds each day. I might buy a wheelbarrow to keep them together
Thanks for the prompting, Carole.

There are so many different descriptions of pain so hard to describe a specific pain. Remembering back, I think my main pain was a deep constant ache...then throw in the zingers! I also have sharp pains now when I move my knee the wrong way...hence the need for revision.
I agree you should continue your meds on a regular schedule and should you decide to decrease, do it a little at a time and not cold turkey.

Tykey, it's perfectly normal (and wonderful) that your pain is primarily when you are up and about. But if it's beyond a level 2-3, you need to be treating it with something. You are still so very early in this recovery process. It seems to me your best bet right now will be paracetamol, 1000mg on a 6 hour schedule, with maybe a codeine to help you sleep at night if needed. I wouldn't try a lot of experimenting at this early stage. Just figure out what works best to keep the pain at bay and stick with it. Of course, there's that bag of peas that should be calling your name frequently too.

Thanks Linda, for once in my life I'll take the advice you are all giving me.
I suspect memory from the first time isn't truly right, which was telling me that it was easy. Either that, or it's different, or I'm 10 years older.
So I'm going to be much more organised and cautious with the meds.
After all, it's only a week since the op. (Can't believe that)

And Jamie, I posted just as you were posting. We made exactly the same points.
So it's going to be paracetamols regularly, topping up if required with codeine.♥️♥️

One of my problems is that I spent almost 40 years in Research and Development, trying to find new ways to achieve things, or to improve things.
Old habits die hard

One thing we should do with blogs is to record our thoughts.
Today's thought is that this is a remarkable forum. I've been on many, but this is the first one where everybody speaks kindly, factually and consistently. Every other one has had an element who "has to be right" and gets upset (sometimes aggressive) if you don't accept their advice. I was in one which got to the stage of threats of physical violence and reports to police, and solicitors consulted (one even seducing another members wife)

Keep the advice coming please, it's hugely appreciated. Its not easy for us from Mars to take advice, because we always think we know better!

Thanks for the kind words Tykey! I like to think our advice to you is just gentle reminders since you have been through all this before. Have a great day - looks like we have sun for awhile.

I have found that being still and at rest - sometimes with ice - is mostly painless. It’s moving that is problematic. Especially trying to get mobility through the joint when walking, because of the swelling. Once or twice, pain has broken through and it’s agony. Takes about an hour to settle with the next dose required and from then on it’s managing the situation. Rest / move / ice / elevate / gentle exercise... it’s a real mission knowing what is best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You are so right @Tykey!!!
BS is just the right amount of good advice, info & support...Don’t know where I would have been without for my THR’s.

Also, paracetamol with a sprinkling have always been my only weapons of choice... the others send me loopy!

Hoping the pain levels diminish soon on walking..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Didot, you've described my situation perfectly, so now I will relax and take my paracetamol, ice.

I'm currently making bread, which I couldn't imagine yesterday - - - - - PROGRESS

Yum!!! I do miss the good bread in the UK!

Linda, the bread was fantastic! I wished I could have sent you a slice. It is a country rustic style, heavily loaded with seeds, with a soupçon of malt

What a great 24 hrs I've had, following everybody's advice
Each day I realise I'm doing more with less pain than yesterday.
The odd thing is, I knew what it was like from my first TKR, but never used that knowledge and scattergunned all over the place.
I guess I'm a good example of the old saying which goes something like:

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it's easy to forget you are trying to drain the swamp.
-

There might be a little alligator hiding in my future, but the large ones are now shoes, handbags and burgers.

Onwards and upwards

That sounds yummy!
Congratulations on your progress! Leave those alligators in the swamp!!

Day 8: still sticking to the plan

I've now dumped the crutches for all indoor activities. I look like that Chester character in Gunsmoke, who walked with a stiff leg. He was played by a very young Dennis Weaver, whilst Matt Dillon was played by James Arness. I'm not shouting "Mr Dillon" though.
Us old 'uns will remember it

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom