TKR Tykey's second knee replacement

Tykey, now I know you're feeling better. There's that sparkling sense of humor of yours coming through. That photo made me laugh.

Worst night yet, 10 minute sleep, and the pain has got worse when I walk about.

I'm still very positive though, I know it's just the vagaries of recovery. It's a different area of pain, which shows up when other areas improve. It feels like it's coming from where I expected, where the prosthesis are implanted.
I'm back taking the full dose of codeine, but the hospital gave me another emergency supply of nefopram, whatever that is, just for this occasion. If my strategy doesn't work well enough, I'll give them a bash this ARVO.
It's only temporary, it is what it is, and we'll sort it.

PS of course that pure bred dog isn't mine.

emergency supply of nefopram, whatever that is
Another type of pain killer according to the NHS Medicines pages. Side effects can include feeling sleepy - just what you need @Tykey !

That picture made me laugh [emoji23][emoji23] love that your sense of humour prevails! It sure gets us through.

Hoping that pain settles down today... an afternoon nap maybe required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jaycey, I've had a read as well.
Side effects are a minefield, aren't they!
At my age, we have so many health issues that it's difficult to find any medication for anything which has no potentially risky side effects. Water is very risky to take, if we are prone to drowning!

But just restricting my reading to "uses", it seems to fit the bill very well. It's for post operative pain where paracetamol doesn't fully do the job.
Slightly worrying is a comment about its effect on passing urine. That's a common worry for us prostate survivors, but I'm trying not to be paranoid.
We shall see

Sorry your pain has gotten worse! :gaah: Sounds like you were sent home from the hospital with quite a few drugs to try for controlling pain. I was sent home with only one. LOL Different health system. Luckily the one I got (a pill containing hydrocodone with acetaminophen) not only eliminates my pain, but also puts me to sleep.

Anyway, don't forget icing, which I have found can be surprisingly helpful for dealing with pain as well.

As for sleeping for 10 minutes, I seem to be on the 20-30 minute schedule tonight. So annoying, although I have been able to go back to sleep pretty easily each time.

Remember, Tykey....you can ice as much as you want as long as you keep a towel between the ice source and your knee. Ice the front and back. it really does help with pain. I used to ice all night long when I slept because it was the only thing that kept me comfortable.

Will do, Jamie. Thankyou

To be pedantic, I will be pea-ING it, not icing.
On Sundays, I'll be Petit-pois-ING.

Will do, Jamie. Thankyou

To be pedantic, I will be pea-ING it, not icing.
On Sundays, I'll be Petit-pois-ING.
An icing machine works SO much better than a bag of frozen peas, for me at least, because it stays nice and cold for hours and has an attachment so that it perfectly fits your knee. Depending on your budget, you might want to consider purchasing one. I use the Ossur Cold Rush, which I think is terrific. I am sure there are many other good brands available.

I fill it using three small frozen water bottles, floating in some cold water and sometimes a few ice cubes. So it is easy to replenish and use it for hours. I just grab three water bottles out of the freezer, put them in, and I'm ready to ice.

Last edited:
Well Tykey, I think your post was deleted but I see your point (and also removed regional references from this one, to be careful not to offend ). I drive my sweetie up the wall sometimes with my frugality, but to me health has a pretty high priority so I just forged ahead with great determination and bought it (on Amazon also, $200 here).

As you can imagine this was difficult enough, but adding to the difficulty is the fact that Medicare gives TKR patients a FREE ice machine to take home from the hospital. But, I needed it before surgery since I could hardly walk, and also wanted to know how to use it right away as soon as I got home from the hospital. So I bought it, then got the free one, and actually I have two now.

I think it would be a modern miracle if you could make your own safe, easy to use ice machine (and knee conforming pad to strap on your knee) and have it ready to use even in months, much less in time to help with your pain. So I'd suggest giving up that idea because of time constraints.

My suggestion is to pretend for a moment that you are a rich playboy who buys whatever extravagance strikes his fancy, then buy the icing machine, then revert to former frugal habits and start icing. Once your knee is better you could sell it. Another possibility is renting one from a medical supply place if there are any there, and if they rent ice machines.

Oh well, I guess bags of frozen peas are OK. Sort of. :) But not for me, I am such a princess.

Last edited:
I'm certain your advice is sound. But our country might shut down after Brexit, so I'm saving for that rainy day.

Carole, I deleted my own post because I realised I was in danger of inadvertently upsetting other Yorkshire folk and that would be unfair. I'm happy with taking the mickey out of myself, I'm an easy target.

I used frozen peas for my THR... worked a treat.... just had to make sure hubby didn’t cook them...

Might have to stock up... could peas be affected by Brexit???

Hope the pain gets better x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Hoppy, I suspect the pain level has a lot to do with tiredness and mood. I'm absolutely shattered this evening. That makes me a bit introverted and thinking about the injury.

Bobby McFerrin sang a song which summed it up perfectly. In the morning, I'll dust off my ukulele and sing along with him

Don't Worry Be Happy

https://g.co/kgs/Qe75NN

I think I asked this somewhere before, but here goes again

I'd like to clarify what we mean when making statements about pain levels

What are you doing when you lovely people have pain? Is it constant at some level.

My pain only occurs in my knee when I'm walking about. If I'm off my legs, and the dog doesn't jump on it, I never have any pain or even discomfort, even from the first minute the spinal block wore off.

Are we talking the same story?

Much better night last night

@Tykey - The Yorkshire references don't offend, but please remember that BoneSmart doesn't allow any discussion about politics - not even Brexit.

Sometimes experiments work out, sometimes they don't!!
I usually have breakfast in bed, followed by my pain killers, giving them half a hour to take effect before tackling the stairs.

I had some codeine with me, but then realised my paracetamols were downstairs. So a perfect time to try the 4th painkiller I hadn't yet tried, some nafopam. The info was that I could use it in conjunction with the other meds.
5 minutes later the pain in my knee was amazingly bad. Putting it up on a cushion didn't make any difference. This time it was a severe, consistent stabbing pain. 9.5 on the pain scale.
So I sent an emergency message to my wife, who fetched me some paracetamols. 15 mins later normality returned

So be warned! I'll be giving feedback to the hospital.

Tykey, you were playing catch-up with the pain. That's never a good idea. At your early stage of recovery, I think you'd be wise to take your meds on a regular schedule.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JasminDickson
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom