TKR Tykey's second knee replacement

Oh OK!! I would just hate to see you go through all this and then end up taking that eternal so-called dirt nap that most of us would prefer to put off as long as possible. I admit that as a non-drinker, sometimes I tend to unfairly lump in "one beer" with "a dozen bottles of whiskey" when really they aren't the same type of drinking.

Hey, congratulations on managing with just one crutch! You are doing much better than I am in that regard (I am still using one of those metal hospital walkers always). I love the way that we make some unexpected small improvements almost every day. For example today I am able to stand longer without leaning on my walker when doing tasks at the kitchen sink, than I was a day or two ago.

I had to Google "dirt nap"

I shall remain a coffin dodger for a while yet, hopefully.

We are two countries divided by a common language

Tykey......dear Tykey.........you know I'm going to have to pop in here and tell you that quaffing even just one beer along with your codeine pill at night isn't a good practice. I wouldn't want someone else to come along and read your posts and think they should try your plan for better sleep. So, while we promise not to send over the "beer police" to keep watch over you :heehee:, for anyone reading Tykey's adventures in recovery, please don't try this at home.

It's always a bad idea to mix prescription pain medications and alcohol. Everyone's body reacts differently to this combination and, for some people, the interaction could be dangerous.

Folks!! Listen to Jamie and Carole, like I do. I shall wait until I stop taking prescription medicines before rewarding myself with my weekly beer, which will probably be tomorrow.
I always push the envelope! (is that an American saying as well?)

I shall wait until I stop taking prescription medicines before rewarding myself with my weekly beer, which will probably be tomorrow.
Wow - are you really ready to get off your meds this soon. Great if you are!

Wow - are you really ready to get off your meds this soon. Great if you are!
It feels like it Jaycey, but I'll only know when I try it. As we all know, it's not entirely predictable. What I do know is that I can only feel my knee if I stand on it, or the dog jumps on it. Even that has improved hugely over the last 24 hours.,
I forget I have had a new knee as I sit watching TV, talking to Penny, reading or eating. I even find myself prodding the knee to see if it was just a dream.
Today I'm on paracetamol, ibuprofen and codein. I'll only be dropping off the codein at this stage. Paracetamol and ibuprofen is all they used in hospital (which aren't on prescription). They supplied a few codein tablets,"just in case", I only had a few at home as an experiment and I didn't notice any improvement in pain control. Over next few days, I'll see if I can drop off the ibuprofen as well.
If I remember rightly, on the first time around, I was very quickly onto paracetamol only as well.
I am only using one crutch most of the time at the moment, although I do walk near walls and tables etc to grab on to if I stumble.
I shall let you all know how it goes, but maybe I'm a good example of "where there's no sense, there's no feeling". You will know that Yorkshire folk are " strong in t'arm, and thick in t'head"

Last edited:
What I forgot to mention is that most of the pain/discomfort I have comes from the tourniquet area, rather than the actual knee itself.

Well, not a single pang of discomfort overnight, but not a great deal of sleep, either.
In truth I realised I haven't been sleeping well for some time, so maybe my op/meds isn't the issue.

So we move on, probably to self hypnosis or relaxation techniques.
I'm enjoying writing this blog, it's very therapeutic in keeping my journey on track. Thanks to those who join in with my meanderings, it helps a lot. I've always been of the opinion that our greatest friend or enemy with these challenges is the strange grey matter between our ears.

Tykey, you are a super star so far in this recovery game. I'm so pleased for you.

It's proved borderline with dropping off the Codein. I've gone to 50% dose. The pain level whilst walking is very similar but it's a bit sharper. So I'll stay at 50% for today.
If I'm not standing or walking, I still can't tell which knee is new!
But a major improvement is that I can now lift my leg up unaided by someone else, or my sling. So progress is still being made every day, and I'm still dead chuffed

Sorry you are having sleep problems! Can you sleep during the day? A bit of boring TV does it for me! Daytime TV us the worst. :bored:

Poor sleep is very common after this surgery, unfortunately.
So progress is still being made every day, and I'm still dead chuffed
I love the word “chuffed”! I had never heard of it until I met members on this forum from the UK.

I realised I forgot to post a piccy of my new knee zip

Attachments

• IMG_20190906_092813.jpg
    IMG_20190906_092813.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 228
Wow, that incision looks really good. I see no redness and very little swelling. Good going!

@Tykey
I’m following your progress with interest & am do glad you are doing so well... your pain seems like it’s well managed!

I’m having TKR on 14th October... 6 months after my 2nd THR... everyone says knees are harder than hips to recover from... I’m hoping not [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never been sure when people talk about pain, do they get pain all day and every day.
I have a bit of pain when I walk about, which might only be 2 minutes every hour, but when I sit or lie down again, I can't tell which knee was replaced. It's insignificant, because it's only for 2 minutes.

I love old sayings, so here's another relevant one

Never worry about what might happen, 'cos it rarely does.

That is not a fat leg. You wanna see a fat leg?? Just look my way. :heehee:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks