TKR Tykey's second knee replacement

Tykey

big-cheese
So I'm sat here waiting to go down for the op. I asked if I could have the old bits of my knee, as I thought they would be a nice memento. It would make a nice talking point if I put it on a plinth and kept it on the shelf over the fire.
I'm told that it's not possible as they are needed by the cook who uses them to make the soup!

Last edited:
:rotfl:
I am so excited for you, that today you will be getting that second new knee!! Good luck and I hope your surgery and recovery are smooth and easy. :)

All done, and back on the ward having a cuppa whilst waiting for my lunch.
And, yes, it has moved on since my first one.
Just a spinal block and a bit of happy juice. I stayed awake for the whole thing and it wasn't an unpleasant experience. I wasn't allowed to watch or take pictures.
The feeling is just coming back, and we'll see what we need to do with any pain and getting out of bed. Just a slight ache so far.
One benefit is that cricket is on the TV

I've just got out of bed for the first time, and my knee sprung a leak, and filled my slipper with blood!. I only bought them two days ago!! All sorted though.
That was after I accidentally pulled out my canular and got blood on my gown and sheets!
They want to send me home asap
No pain at all, just on ibuprofen and paracetamol. I hope it lasts!

So glad your surgery is done, that it wasn't an unpleasant experience, and that even now you are experiencing no pain. What a relief that you got through it safely and are now beginning your recovery.

But how terrifying that your knee bled down into your slipper like that the first time you got out of bed! I suppose if that is going to happen, having it happen in the hospital was probably the best place. Still, pretty unnerving I'd imagine.

It is a different world with this surgery now from even a few years ago. When I had my revision, I was surprised at how many changes there were just four years after my original TKR. Some of the changes are good, some I didn't like too much, but in the long run I had a much easier recovery this time than the first, so maybe the new protocols helped with that.

I'm glad you're done with the surgery and are on to recovery and your new life! I'll leave you your copy of the recovery articles for your reading pleasure. I especially liked the activity progression one-I read it daily to remind myself not to do too much, or too little, during my recovery.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Wow! Sounds like an excellent start! I will be checking how your recovery with the spinal went. That is the route I think they will go with me in Oct.
Hope you have a great night's rest!

So it's about 4am, I'm awake and it seems like the rest of the world is asleep. I was having a lovely deep sleep until it was time for a nurse to take my obs
I know it's to be expected, but I don't like it
I've been reflecting on the actual op, and thought I'd give some positive thoughts. It was really a non event. I didn't expect to stay awake through it, but I was so relaxed I'm not sure if I had an odd snooze. I think I must have because it only seemed to last 10 minutes, I remember him doing the incision, plus some drilling, and some hammering. It sounds gruesome, but it wasn't at all unpleasant, it was a fascinating experience for me. Certainly nothing to fear, if I had a third knee to sort, I would definitely choose this approach.
It just involved limping down to the surgery, being prepped which involved getting a canular fitted, an injection in the back (not as bad as I feared), leg support being fitted, then through the door to action stations. Be assured that the whole thing was a non event, nothing to fear!
Then in to recovery for a few minutes, then back onto the ward where my lunch was waiting for me.
Tonight I've had an Ibuprofen and a couple of paracetamols, and I have absolutely no pain. Not a opioid in sight.
The only discomfort is my thigh which is stiff from the tourniquet.
It took about 10 hours for the spinal to wear off, and for everything to start responding (use your imagination). It did look like a catheter was needed, but I avoided that just in time.
Who was it who said "there's nothing to fear than fear itself".?
Time will tell if things take a turn for worse, but it'll be sorted.
I might now go for a my first little walk, wish me luck.
PS the food is great, I'm having treacle (syrup) sponge with custard for every meal except breakfast.

For those of us across the pond here in the USA, here is what Tykey is chowing down on - treacle:
upload_2019-9-6_0-32-55.png

Yum! Go for it, Tykey!!! I vote for breakfast too.

As long as it has Lyle's Golden Syrup, I'd eat it too-even though it's not on my new list of foods I'll eat!

@Tykey good to see you on this side again. Glad all went well! Not sure I could handle all that treacle but I guess at this stage it's comfort food.

Day 1 ROM, 97 deg. So if I can do the stairs and use crutches, and nothing unforseen happens, I should be back home tonight

Wonderful!!! It is so nice to come home from the hospital, no matter how nice the hospital may be.

I think they have different criteria for sending us home here in the US. At least, in my case, I still haven't climbed stairs or used crutches. I really don't know what the criteria are here. However they had me walk 300 feet the day after surgery which was when I was released.

Thank you for the details @Tykey! I think it is interesting what others experience! My upcoming surgery is due to be an outpatient surgery and I will have a spinal so a little concerned it took 10 hours to wear off for you. I am sure they can adjust the amount they use.

You are off to an awesome start! Let us know how the first walk went for you! You are doing great!

@LindaO Everyone has a different experience with a spinal wearing off. Please don't worry. You will not be discharged until you can move around by yourself - usually including up and down stairs.

@Tykey well done! Looks like you are already heading for home.

It's strange how the spinal wears off. It's not all at the same time. With me, after 2 hours my feet were OK. Then the legs, then the toes, and finally the backside and nether regions. It was just the nether regions which hung on, and on. It's not unpleasant at all, you will just want to lie there doing nothing anyway.
Having a smaller dose is a dangerous strategy, I'll be surprised if the anaesthetist would agree to it and risk you being in pain in the surgery. You need what you need.
And the first walk went great. Walked about 100 yards, up and down some stairs. A bit sore afterwards, but 5 mins lying down, and it's painless again.
Look forward to it, my experience is the same as the vast majority, they just don't need our support and help.

PS bread and butter pudding with custard for lunch (for a change). Very nice it was, as well.

So glad your first walk went so very well!! 100 yards is a terrific distance, and you should be extremely proud. I know that it put a giant smile on my face, when they told me that I walked that far in the hospital. I felt like Superwoman. Plus in your case, you also went up and down some stairs. :wow:

I can see why you are a bit sore, but I think the reason they had you do all that is that they want to be certain that you can get around to an adequate extent before sending you home. And you can. We 71-year-olds showed those younger people that we've still got plenty of strength and energy left in us.

Yay for being home at last, in your recliner, watching cricket! :yay: :flwrysmile: :loveshwr: See? That was worth getting a little bit sore from your long walk.

Congratulation on being home!! Bread and Butter pudding with custard sounds yummy!!
So glad for a smooth transition home for you!!

BTW, my husband was born in Wombwell! Just down the road from you!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back