Two-Year Post-Op Visit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Troweltalk

graduate
Country
United States United States
I just returned from seeing my surgeon for my two-year check up on a BHR on my right side.

X-Rays show the cup nicely seated and everything as perfectly aligned as when I woke up in the recovery room.

I've experienced no pain, no swelling, and no irritation of any kind short of the occasional tightness along the incision which I still find myself massaging almost every night before I fall asleep.

I am fully active to the point I wish to be. I hike in the mountains, I climb ladders and I get up and down off of scaffolding associated with my work. If I walk a long distance it is much more likely that my feet will give me trouble long before the hip does.

My surgeon broached the subject of Metal on Metal and a recent recall of another brand of hip resurfacing device. He mentioned that the number of hip resurfacing procedures has diminished due to the recent events and concerns over MoM and discussed with me what to be aware of:

• Sharp or nagging pain.
  • Redness or swelling.

He also said that he concurred with the majority who believe issues related to MoM are either an allergy issue and/or poor positioning of the device resulting in unintended excess wear (edging).

I'm confident that I will fall into the 99% of those who experience no serious problems. One reason for my confidence is that I held a sample of the device in my hands before the surgery. Yea, I know, hardly scientific... But, I am a mechanical kinda guy, and I was amazed as the lack of friction between the ball and cup, the machining of these pieces is unreal. the other reasons is I don't do high impact sports, I don't run, I do walk, swim and climb. And as long as I don't fall and jar the heck out of the thing, I suspect it will keep on moving like a fine swiss watch as long as I am in need of it.

Awesome, Bill! And long may it continue to be so. I agree with your surgeon about the issues and think they are not confined to MoM.

And just think - back in the 60s there was a little old man in a back room that used to machine those bearings by hand! Imagine that. Things have come along way since the, eh?

And just think - back in the 60s there was a little old man in a back room that used to machine those bearings by hand! Imagine that. Things have come along way since the, eh?

WOW. think of that. At least one could thank the person :).

I was readong about the first ones done with ivory in Asia back in the day. I wonder how they turned out longterm? Jo - do you know?

Well I could tell you with a popular word beginning with c and ending with p! They started off with ivory and cow bone - disastrous results! Then went on to perspex, early form of plastic. Equally disastrous. It was seeing the results of those failures that got McKee going on trying to work out a more reliable material to use.

Boy, Jo....who else in the world would KNOW these things!!! You are a wonder!

And who will know them when I'm gone! :th_heehee:

Looks pretty good compared to the older styles.

awmrogers.smugmug.com_Family_Birmingham_Hip_Resurfacing_ortho_1_512724646_2kQzx_S.jpg

And who will know them when I'm gone! :th_heehee:

I know, Jo!!! That's what I worry about. Guess you just have to stay around for a long time to come!!!:th_yay:

Mudpro - thanks for posting your update. It really does help those of us who are fairly early on in our recovery to hear from the "pros".

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
loo_who_too
Recent bookmarks