• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

Two-Year Post-Op Visit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mudpro

graduate
Country
United States United States
I just returned from seeing my surgeon for my two-year check up on a BHR on my right side.

X-Rays show the cup nicely seated and everything as perfectly aligned as when I woke up in the recovery room.

I've experienced no pain, no swelling, and no irritation of any kind short of the occasional tightness along the incision which I still find myself massaging almost every night before I fall asleep.

I am fully active to the point I wish to be. I hike in the mountains, I climb ladders and I get up and down off of scaffolding associated with my work. If I walk a long distance it is much more likely that my feet will give me trouble long before the hip does.

My surgeon broached the subject of Metal on Metal and a recent recall of another brand of hip resurfacing device. He mentioned that the number of hip resurfacing procedures has diminished due to the recent events and concerns over MoM and discussed with me what to be aware of:

• Sharp or nagging pain.
  • Redness or swelling.

He also said that he concurred with the majority who believe issues related to MoM are either an allergy issue and/or poor positioning of the device resulting in unintended excess wear (edging).

I'm confident that I will fall into the 99% of those who experience no serious problems. One reason for my confidence is that I held a sample of the device in my hands before the surgery. Yea, I know, hardly scientific... But, I am a mechanical kinda guy, and I was amazed as the lack of friction between the ball and cup, the machining of these pieces is unreal. the other reasons is I don't do high impact sports, I don't run, I do walk, swim and climb. And as long as I don't fall and jar the heck out of the thing, I suspect it will keep on moving like a fine swiss watch as long as I am in need of it.

Josephine

NURSE DIRECTOR EMERITUS
Nurse Director
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Awesome, Bill! And long may it continue to be so. I agree with your surgeon about the issues and think they are not confined to MoM.

And just think - back in the 60s there was a little old man in a back room that used to machine those bearings by hand! Imagine that. Things have come along way since the, eh?

KristinL

And just think - back in the 60s there was a little old man in a back room that used to machine those bearings by hand! Imagine that. Things have come along way since the, eh?
WOW. think of that. At least one could thank the person :).

I was readong about the first ones done with ivory in Asia back in the day. I wonder how they turned out longterm? Jo - do you know?

Josephine

NURSE DIRECTOR EMERITUS
Nurse Director
Country
Well I could tell you with a popular word beginning with c and ending with p! They started off with ivory and cow bone - disastrous results! Then went on to perspex, early form of plastic. Equally disastrous. It was seeing the results of those failures that got McKee going on trying to work out a more reliable material to use.

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
Boy, Jo....who else in the world would KNOW these things!!! You are a wonder!

Josephine

NURSE DIRECTOR EMERITUS
Nurse Director
Country
And who will know them when I'm gone! :th_heehee:

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
And who will know them when I'm gone! :th_heehee:
I know, Jo!!! That's what I worry about. Guess you just have to stay around for a long time to come!!!:th_yay:

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
Mudpro - thanks for posting your update. It really does help those of us who are fairly early on in our recovery to hear from the "pros".

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Margie013
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom