THR Two weeks plus recovery

knee2hip

Country
United States United States
Hi, everyone, THR 1/7, Anterior approach. Recovery has been good, completely different and so much better than TKR. (Except I miss the PT part; living in a rural area, it encouraged me to move with the knee, the same surgeon who did my knee is holding me off for another 2 week evaluation.)
I've read some of the recovery threads, folks walking and running at two weeks? My surgeon demanded 4 weeks on the walker, and I'm so ok with that. My hip/knee replacement leg can't hold a can of beans.

But my question is, two and a half weeks in I suddenly have soreness in my butt like I fell on it, my thigh is so sensitive right next to the surgery site, like tender, burning senstation, nerves, I know. But the butt cheek pain, and the new: groin pain. Moving the leg forward pain. Icing is difficult.
Is this all just normal for an older female, Anterior approach THR? Thanks.

@knee2hip Welcome to BoneSmart!
I've read some of the recovery threads, folks walking and running at two weeks?
I don't think you read that here. Some people may be walking at two weeks but very short walks around the house. Running - I don't think so!

All your aches and pains sound totally normal at only 2.5 weeks out. What problems are you having with icing? Are you taking any pain medication as prescribed? THR recovery may be easier that TKR - but it is still a major op.

Here are your guidelines for this recovery. Do let us know if you have any more questions:
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

:wave: and welcome to the forum.
Too much activity too soon can end up putting us 2 steps back... rather than a step ahead, so try not to worry about keeping up with these miracle recovery stories.:nah:
Two weeks out, the body is in full healing mode so just walking, ice and elevation are the best protocols.

The piriformis muscle is likely your culprit and is easily aggravated after THR.
Check out this article from our library.
Patience is key...
Hope your Sunday is chilled.:ice:

Last edited:
By the way, just a note here.
I wouldn't get too involved in the exercises or stretches described....with perhaps the exception of the foam roller if you feel it helps.
I had these same discomforts as things settled out, and I think it's too early to be working on things that are most likely normal byproducts of having a hip replaced.
Less often does more.:yes:

Thanks so much; simply, the groin pain is new, and I'm not overdoing anything other than stretching and reaching up and down. Dr told me Anterior approach was ok with that but maybe I'm doing too much, as I reach all over beyond the walker. Mainly, the new deep ache and groin pain moving my leg forward has me concerned.

Also, even my knee PT guy is surprised that I'm not yet prescribed for strengthening exercises. My surgery hip/leg cannot hold myself up yet, let alone a gas pedal or stroll. I'm ok with depending on others for another 3-4 weeks or so, but then I'm alone, so I DO need to get the limb working. Thanks.

Well you've made it through the first 2 weeks which is the worst. People walking at 2 weeks unaided is very rare, people running at 2 weeks are either liars or maybe part of 1% that had totally unrealistic recoveries. You are in the normal for any age recovery and it sounds like you and your OS are being sensible as far as the timeline.
As far as PT's go somewhere @Mojo333 stated it best that to a carpenter everything is a nail and to PT's everything requires strength exercises. The majority subscribe to the no pain no gain school of PT no matter the fact that it's not working out well. Your muscles are damaged from the surgery, no exercise is going to heal them. Once the healing takes place then they will accept strengthening.
New pains will come and over time they will go. No two people's recoveries are the same and I can tell you no 2 hips on 1 person are the same. I've got pain and weakness in my right that I didn't have with my left. On the other hand my left had different feelings and pains. Recovery seems to come in 2-3 week periods of improvement followed by another stalling out.

Hello @knee2hip - and :welome:

Please will you tell us the full date of your knee replacement and which knee it is, so we can add that to your signature for you? Also, which hip did you have replaced? Thank you.:flwrysmile:

Also, even my knee PT guy is surprised that I'm not yet prescribed for strengthening exercises
It's much too early for strengthening exercises. Leave them until about 3 months post-op.

As our guidelines told you, hips really don't need a lot of exercises. They will heal with just your normal activities of daily living.

Don't try to rush this recovery - because you can't, no matter how much you want to. In fact, doing too much, too soon, can slow down recovery.

I'm curious how long ago you TKR was as well @knee2hip . My knee was done 10 months before my hip and never really had a chance to get to full strength due to the bad hip. Somewhere around week 4 though I saw a big improvement in my knee as well as my hip. Ignore anyone suggesting PT right now, I'll be at 8 weeks tomorrow and wouldn't consider PT even now. For now concentrate on walking with as normal a gait as you can, that and just getting up and down from sitting etc. will be all the strengthening you'll need, that's speaking with the experience of having a very week leg after TKR and THR. Come back often and share your recovery with us, you will find the support and knowledge of the folks here to be very comforting.:flwrysmile:

Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you're doing better since we last heard from you. It will come, it's still early into the recovery period.
Wishing you a good weekend! Please stay in touch, we'd love to follow your progress. :) @knee2hip

Hi @knee2hip, I was a day after you for surgery. Four weeks out I’m walking in the house with one elbow crutch. Went to supermarket with hubby yesterday to do a big shop, by the time we were finished I had a lot of pain- not in the hip but across my shoulders!! So it’ll be back to using two crutches when I’m outside for a while yet. I too have started to get pain in buttock and groin, putting it down to as I’m getting more active the muscles are having to work and they don’t like it. I remember well from my knee replacements that it was easy to overdo it and get knocked back for a few days, this time around for me personally the hip hasn’t been as big a deal re recovery as the knees were and I forget that I’m only 4 weeks out and should still be taking it easy. Hope your pains ease soon :fingersx:

Hi, very sorry to have been away from this forum and your post.
It's two weeks further on, are you doing better? This hip replacement is SO different from the knee, I only started physical therapy last week! What procedure did you have for the THP? I had anterior, and the surgeon insisted I use a walker for 4 weeks. I followed directions to the day, then a cane, but only outside on snow and ice. It amazes me how quickly my body wanted to walk in it's own, yet how nervous I still am at 6 weeks.
As was explained to me here, the knee and hip replacements are completely different. I wish my knee didn't hurt more than my hip sometimes--I have pain in my knee replacement.

I'm not helping you at all, but to say, yesterday I walked around a big supermarket after physical therapy for almost 2 hours, that was amazing, and it was the back that did me in. So many muscles to reinforce.

Best to you, you a re already doing better than me.

:hi: Hi @knee2hip
Happy Two Month Anniversary! I hope you’re doing well.

If you’d share your Knee Replacement info below (Exact date / right or left knee) we’ll add the info to your signature.
All the best to you as you continue healing. :)

Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I hope your recovery is progressing nicely.
Wishing you all the best as you continue to heal. Be safe, stay well!
@knee2hip

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom