Two weeks past surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hipshot

Ok friends, it's been two weeks (ok,17 days) and I'm doing pretty good.First two days were a bit rough but after that things started to improve.I did my routine walk around nurses station hours after surgery,than two days of light fever and general discomfort of laying in bed.Overall not that bad,more like having a bad case of flu.After three days I was discharged home and started my PT twice a week.Also,having history of blood clots I was put on Coumadin.I can walk without cane now,climb stairs ,shower etc.Problem is I can only walk for fifteen minutes before rest,I have no strenght at all.
As far as pain,it's mostly lower back pain and discomfort from sleeping on my back.No leg pain at all.My incission is about four inches long (front of leg),no staples.Reading all your stories on this forum I know it takes time and one must be very patient.So far,comparing my recovery with others everything seems to be on right track and I know things will only get better.Thank you all for support,for sharing your experience with surgery.Waking up and being without hip pain can only be appreciated by someone who experienced it.For those who read this and still think should I do it or not?
Don't wait,few weeks of recovery and rest of your life is pain free.Sounds like bargain to me.
Thank you friends,I've made it.

Hey Hipshot glad your doing ok. Im a knee but I wish the best for ya...........hang in there it gets better........)

Hipshot, a 4-inch incision in front sounds like you had a direct anterior, which also seems to jive with your recovery description. As a direct myself (last October), I can attest that my progress was like yours and it only gets better. You have a lot of steady and rapid improvement to look forward to! :D

As for strength, regaining it is a process. My own experience leads me to believe that many of us don't really realize just how much we lost due to pre-surgery inactivity, since the loss was likely rather gradual. Getting it back is equally gradual--but achievable. You're off to a terrific start!

Hey Hipshot! So happy for your great recup! Keep up the terrific work!!! (:)0)

Excellent Hipshot,
Welcome to the world of another happy customer:thmb:. There is no thrill to compare to the joy of waking up to no pain.
You will have up days and down days, but each day is one more on the road to recovery.
You have a good mental attitude and that is a huge factor in the recupe process. Be patient and slow and steady in your recovery and resist the urge to overachieve, or that hip will up and bite you where it hurts most:shk:.

Glenys
LHR 5/28/09
RHR 7/23/09

hi hipshot so pleased your doing well its great to read when people have good positive info for us peeps about to have our surgerys.well done hip shot xxx

You shud better consult your surgeon rather than taking our opinion with respect to your weight bearing and walking.

Mine is 7 weeks old and i have a toddling effect if i dont use my elbow crutches. so i am just using them. By the end of third month everything shud be fine for majority of people.

Great news, Hipshot!!! It will keep getting better. Be sure and continue to let us know how you're doing. We love success stories!!!

Thank you all.Today I saw my surgeon and got ok to start driving next week.I have to admitt ,I'm very surprised at the pace of my recovery.Maybe it is my PT guy torturing me twice a week or technique used by my doctor but results are truly amazing.Somebody mentioned walking witchout crutches or cane witchout my surgeons knowledge.It was done under my PT supervision and only with his approval.Today I asked my doctor if I can walk around his office without cane,just to show what I can do.So,I walk around and he said "I told you :D..." According to Doc.my X-ray looks good ,I thought I will faint when saw it.That's a big chunk of metal plus long screw holding cup.I better get used to it :whis:
Overall,yes first couple of days were rough.Fever,sweating,not being able to eat or throwing up every single drop of water (sorry,didn't mean to be to graphic) PT guys draging you out of bed,that horrible hospital bed hairdo :evil: ,hospital gowns that cover everything except most inportant parts of your anathomy:blush:.One more thing,today for the first time in two weeks I was outside my house.I couldn't believe how wonderfull can flowers smell ,trees,or just that smell of hot summer day.Another good reason to be pain free.This surgery is true miracle and in my case it was a life saver.Not only it gives you back what arathritis took away,it makes you appreciate many other things in life you take for granted.
Thank you all for responding to my letter and your words of enquragement.
Hipshot Nomore

Hi, Your description of the early days brings back memories. At just over a year and during my 3 mile walks up and down hills I oftentimes catch myself with a silly smile on my face. Can't believe how strong and pain free I am again. Haven't taken a pain killer, so much as a tylenol, since January.(from someone who was having stomach aches due to daily naproxene, ibuprophen, whatever I had to get through the horrible pain before my surgery)

ENjoy your recovery in this beautiful weather!

Laurie
RTHR, 8/26/08

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member