THR Two New Hips in Six Weeks

Good point, El11--getting our hip replaced doesn't mean we still won't feel the same aches and pains we would naturally have, when we aren't feeling well, or exert ourselves. So of course we will continue to need that ice and Tylenol for those things, and we don't have to worry it means our hip replacement is the problem. :SUNsmile:

I don't envy you the moving experience---it is both exciting, but also grueling. I haven't moved in 30 years.....the idea of doing it, which I know I will at some point, gives me nightmares!!

Hi @EL11
Thanks for taking the time to respond in your flurry of activity associated with the move.
I'm happy to hear you weren't hurt aside from frozen hands.
I'm sure you're missing Albert like crazy. I hope the little prince loves his new home.
Last photo = precious! Roll on Monday...
Hugs

I have been feeling excellent, walking fast, exercising normally. Both my thighs remain a little sore/tender/tingly. It that never went away it would be no big deal.

The reason I'm posting is that I was just doing some mild stretches on my bed, stretching my legs alternately by gently pulling the leg downward, not using my hands or anything, keeping it straight. As I did this with the right leg I felt a pop, like the leg was popping out of the hip socket. I did it again, same thing. It did not hurt but of course I didn't do it again. I got up and walked around to make sure I hadn't done anything to it and I felt completely normal. It freaked me out a little because it was literally the first time it felt like there was something artificial in there. Needless to say I will tell the doctor and am seeing him in just over six weeks, but I wondered if any of you have experienced anything similar.

That sounds kind of scary----I haven't had it happen, but do recall reading about it on others' posts. Hopefully some of those folks will chime and reassure you. It's always unsettling to have something new pop up. It would seem the lack of pain is a good sign.....maybe you could check in with the doctor's office if you feel like 6 weeks is too long to wait to ask about it.

Our right hips are about the same "age"---My surgery was on August 3---almost impossible to believe it has been nearly a year. Except for numbness around the scar I generally forget I even had it done ----sounds like you also have been doing well overall! :loveshwr:

I did have a “pop” when doing some cycling at the gym. I may not have adjusted the seat height properly. No pain from the hip as such but the old muscle at the top did hurt for a few days.l and around where the cup would be.

Hopefully nothing for you to worry about but don’t hesitate to have it checked! At nearly a year out and with so much improvement you don’t want any setbacks!

Btw my Consultant does not do a regular yearly checkup as his Registrar told me “many people don’t bother to show up for their spots as his operations go so well!”

@SurreyGirl
Btw my Consultant does not do a regular yearly checkup as his Registrar told me “many people don’t bother to show up for their spots as his operations go so well!”
The last time I saw my surgeon was at 6 weeks out. He said I could schedule an appointment at 1 year "if I wanted", but that it wasn't necessary if everything was feeling good. He also said it was rare for anyone to have new issues at that point. I have felt comfortable all along in knowing I could call his office and ask questions anytime I needed to, including asking for the antibiotics I needed prior to dental cleanings. It helps to have a positive, responsive surgeon's office:)

I do plan to schedule one---I think I am doing great, BUT still would like to have him check, and to do an X-ray. My original hip issue came on overnight and I don't have a ton of confidence in myself to be sure I'm not missing/ignoring things I should pay more attention to, as I have a pretty high tolerance for pain, and have missed things in the past as a result.

Interesting @Debru4 . Do report back if you go ahead with the consultation. I still get the odd ping from the scar and muscle ache if I overdo it but heard it can take up to 15 months to heal completely so not surprised! Lovely to be out if the day to day pain now.

Thanks, ladies. @SurreyGirl, I was cycling at the Y for months after I moved here in March, but I don't have a car; rather than Ubering there several times a week, lately I have been doing band and ankle weight exercises at home and walking around the neighborhood . The lying-down move I was describing, which is kind of like (eek) loosening your socket on purpose, is something the PT used to help me do before I had the surgeries. I won't do it again, for now anyway. I'm looking forward to getting x-rays.

@Debru4, it is interesting how the protocol varies from one region to another. My operations were done in Massachusetts; in both cases I stayed overnight, then was up and walking the next day and went home that day after they determined that everything was fine. My friend in California had hers done in April and they sent her home on the same day. Also, if I am remembering correctly, they said that she needed to have antibiotics for dental work for the rest of her life. I was told a year. The follow-up appointment at one year was not presented to me as optional, but I definitely want it. I wonder if I'm still entitled to physical therapy. Sometimes they give you exercises you wouldn't have thought of and it's kind of like having a trainer.

Before I found this forum, I used to obsessively search the Internet all the time for projected healing times for a THR; I remembered having seen it could be up to 18 months.

:wave: @EL11
Good to see your name in the lineup as I've wondered how you are doing, but sorry to see you are having some concerns.
I could imagine the weird sensations would be disconcerting...hopefully you will get some assurances at your appointment.

lately I have been doing band and ankle weight exercises at home and walking around the neighborhood
I really dont like the bands and weights ..usually more wary during earlier recovery but I might not want to add additional stress on the joint until you decide if this a hiccup or something your hip doesn't like.
Just my thoughts...
I do so want you to be well.
I saw lots of improvements up to and AFTER a year.
I'm just now pursuing some PT for some SI issues that are causing some tightness with psoriasis muscle.
I am only now getting brave enough to try some exercises and I did not want to derail my great new hips' recovery.
Wishing you all the best.:friends:

Good to see your name in the lineup as I've wondered how you are doing, but sorry to see you are having some concerns.
I could imagine the weird sensations would be disconcerting...hopefully you will get some assurances at your appointment.

Nice to hear from you too!

Well, it was in the one particular position and I think that movement was unwise. For sure I won't do it again.

My left hip, which was done second, still aches from time to time; I think it would behoove me to elevate and ice both of them, something I stopped feeling I needed to do right around the first of the year.

Hello @EL11
Lovesstars made an appearance on the forum this morning and I immediately thought of you. A belated Happy One Year Anniversary on both hips. Wondering how life is treating you? Would love to hear an update on how both hips are doing. Hopefully all is well.
Wishing you a wonderful Autumn. Hope to hear from you soon!

@Layla , sweet of you to check in!

I had my year check-up with an OS here in Rochester. X-rays look fine. I asked him about the slight pop I heard when I tried stretching my legs, straight, one at a time in a supine position (something the PT used to do pre-operations). He said things are always moving around in there but you don’t notice or hear it with a natural hip.

For the longest time I have been saying, the only thing I still noticed was a semi-numb sore feeling on the fronts of my thighs, and that I’d be fine with it never going away, considering what a boon the THRs have been. But I had not thought about that sensation for a while and today I checked both thighs and realized it was pretty much gone.

I took a trip to CA last month, my first in quite a while, work and social. I took the train from Burbank to Camarillo to meet up with one of my colleagues, who’s my closest friend, and when I got off the train and walked toward him he said, “My God, look at you! You’re not limping anymore.” That’s right, and what an amazing feeling to be able to walk fast again.

I had read somewhere that full healing may well take up to a year and a half. For me, a year almost on the dot, though the second/left hip sometimes aches faintly. It seems odd that the tingly thing continued on the side I had done first for an extra two months, like the two sides stayed in tandem; in any case, I am grateful to be living in the golden age of joint replacement and glad I jumped on having this done, and the two ops seven weeks apart.

Also. Since moving here I’ve lost 10 pounds. I was not overweight, but at the top of the BMI zone for my height. I feel physically more comfortable with less pressure on my hips.

Last edited:
So very nice to hear from you, EL. It sounds like all is well and you're back engaging in life without pain. Trips and trains and friends and weight loss and all things normal...pain free! Such a blessing and beautiful second chance.

For the longest time I have been saying, the only thing I still noticed was a semi-numb sore feeling on the fronts of my thighs, and that I’d be fine with it never going away, considering what a boon the THRs have been. But I had not thought about that sensation for a while and today I checked both thighs and realized it was pretty much gone.

This happened to Josephine. She had the same sensation for a lengthy time if I recall, then finally forgot about it only to realize a considerable amount of time later, like years, if I remember right...that it was gone. Normal!

Wishing you only the best moving forward. I hope you have a wonderful holiday season and a fantastic 2020!
@EL11

Last edited:
So very nice to hear from you, EL. It sounds like all is well and you're back engaging in life without pain. Trips and trains and friends and weight loss and all things normal...pain free! Such a blessing and beautiful second chance.

This happened to Josephine. She had the same sensation for a lengthy time if I recall, then finally forgot about it only to realize a considerable amount of time layer, like years, if I remember right...that it was gone. Normal!

Wishing you only the best moving forward. I hope you have a wonderful holiday season and a fantastic 2020!
@EL11

"beautiful second chance" . BEAUTIFUL!

:hi:
One year for Lefty tomorrow!
Hope all is well with you...

One year for your lefty, @Mojo333 ? I went to look and got an error ... My one-year for my left was 9/17. :) I hope you are doing well! Good to hear from you.

I am very pleased with my recovery. Still the occasional achiness, but honestly it's nothing. The soreness/slight numbness on the fronts of my thighs, as I mentioned a post or two ago, has diminished to like .25 on a scale of 1-10. All in all, for me personally, these operations were a resounding success. Often, when I'm doing some simple thing like walking fast from one end of my apartment to the other, I have a rush of gratitude all over again not to be limping.

:hugzz:

I still remember your inspirational comments about that day when you suddenly felt you had turned a corner, and how great it was (you were shopping I think).

One year for your lefty, @Mojo333 ?
:blush: oops. Brain lapse!
So glad you came by though and that all is well with you...
I feel like I am 95% perfect and that is okay with me!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom