THR Two New Hips in Six Weeks

El11 - I am having a dryish February so will have to take a raincheck on the champagne. How is your 6 month hip compared to your 4.5 month one? I still get some zings and zaps if I overstretch the operated hip and still ice when I get home from work, six months on... I am wearing my thermals - even though the weather has warmed up a bit. Keeping the hip warm at work and icing at home seems to be key.. I have quite a few steps up to my office and, if not too stiff from driving, try to do them very day. Sometimes it is quite hard and I have lost count of the number of helpful students who inform me that there is a lift at the other end of the building.

You are so slim - I need to get my figure back and take the weight off my knees. Easier said than done. Will be 60 next year xx

El11 - I am having a dryish February so will have to take a raincheck on the champagne. How is your 6 month hip compared to your 4.5 month one? I still get some zings and zaps if I overstretch the operated hip and still ice when I get home from work, six months on... I am wearing my thermals - even though the weather has warmed up a bit. Keeping the hip warm at work and icing at home seems to be key.. I have quite a few steps up to my office and, if not too stiff from driving, try to do them very day. Sometimes it is quite hard and I have lost count of the number of helpful students who inform me that there is a lift at the other end of the building.

You are so slim - I need to get my figure back and take the weight off my knees. Easier said than done. Will be 60 next year xx
@SurreyGirl - How many steps? Good for you; you seem to have a great handle on how much to do, icing when needed etc. I remember when we were looking for a house, at one point I was resigned to the idea of it needing to be a ranch house because I had so much trouble with steps; then I read an article saying if you stop climbing steps, you lose your ability to do so and get progressively weaker. And of course I was not thinking of hip replacement at the time, or the possibility of getting my strength back.

The main difference between my hips is that thigh phenomenon. The left side is a bit more tender/numb, but it's subtle, like at the eye doctor when they say "Which one is clearer?" and you go, "That one ... I think, no wait ..." I have a little compulsive habit of rubbing each a few times a day to check that the right one is less sensitive.

The night before last, I slept poorly; both hips were way sore when I woke up for the last time, and I had Tylenol with coffee. I hadn't done much the day before, either. But anyway, what you describe seems in line with my own recovery. A few zings and zaps, occasional soreness.

I recently saw a Facebook post from the wife of a guy I work with, about getting a shot in her hip. I messaged her about my ops, knowing she was probably on the surgery path; she said she'd been to see a doctor about the posterior approach and was going to see another about the anterior, and that there was a long wait for surgery (she is in LA), as many as six months— but would love to talk to me about my experience. She said that at this point, every day was a series of "micro-tortures," getting out of a car being the worst. I remember that so clearly; another pre-replacement memory for me was one fall day when my bf and I were walking in a gorgeous park (see image) and after 15 minutes, I started to tear up, the pain was so bad as I limped along. What a difference.

I don't know if I'd call myself slim, but not overweight. I use this app that's an imitation of the Weight Watchers Points Plus system (no one owns the math, after all). I feel I could stand to lose 5 pounds, that's it for my age. But a few pounds can make a big difference in one's comfort level.

Attachments

• Institute Park.jpg
    Institute Park.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 246
indeed it can. I think I need to start using My Fitness Pal again - my app is still live so I can just restart.. Although in reality I know what I should be doing - just eating less! I do eat healthily and don't have a sweet tooth but cheese is hard to give up and I have to ban it from the house!

No thanks, @EL11 I am not much of an alcohol girl — gives me next-day headaches.
but hey, you want to pour me some bubbly? Fine. I’ll take acqua frizzante — San Pellegrino water.

You know they drink bottled water in Italy because the water is so mineralized people would otherwise get kidney stones all the time??

Sorry — nerd moment there.

Mom’s taxes done, papers organized and put away. Three hours on the phone with her credit card company trying to get rid of fraud...to no avail...to the tune of $3000. It is really really sad that people who are much older and still want to be independent can easily be taken advantage by people (fraud) and don’t have the cognitive ability to notice it or get retribution. There are, unfortunately, many predators in this world.

On a lighter note, we are going to the hospital today to confirm her scary diagnosis.

SORRY @EL11 I am doing it again!
GUYS!!!!!!! It is February and Spring begins next month! Woohoo!

@lovesstars - So sorry about your mom.

All the beverages sound good; as for cheese, I can't do without it but am trying to learn portion control. I don't keep many sweets in the house, and have found that the Trader Joe's dark chocolate wedges satisfy me dessert-wise. Very little sugar ...

Never met a Cheese I didn't like. Unfortunately. I agree, EL11, purchase it sparingly.
Will have to try TJ dark chocolate wedges.
Try TJ Dark Chocolate covered Almonds, if you haven't already.
We keep them in the fridge and 4-5 do the trick if you're craving something sweet.

This fits in with hips. We're sharing tips on how to have slim hips, right? :yes:

I love all their dark chocolate options.

I remember once, walking through an airport after having lost 5 pounds and thinking I had left something behind because I felt less encumbered than usual (I had been traveleing a lot and also brought the same basic stuff). My backpack, briefcase, purse? It was 5 pounds of body weight

@EL11---I could relate to your post so much---intersting in that our surgeries were just a couple days apart:)
I read an article saying if you stop climbing steps, you lose your ability to do so and get progressively weaker.
I have found that having steps really is good exercise, and was surprised at how fast my ability to climb them returned.....probably because I have been doing it multiple times a day for over 30 years in this two story house.

The main difference between my hips is that thigh phenomenon. The left side is a bit more tender/numb, but it's subtle, like at the eye doctor when they say "Which one is clearer?" and you go, "That one ... I think, no wait ..." I have a little compulsive habit of rubbing each a few times a day to check that the right one is less sensitive.
I love the eye doctor analogy...I have to admit it still weirds me out that my right (operated side) thigh still is numb in places, and just feels "odd" when I rub lotion onto my leg or have an itch to scratch. At 6 months out, I often wonder how much it will improve. It covers an area about 2" x 6" so it's not a tiny spot. Oh well...numb and weird beats pain any day!:thumb:

She said that at this point, every day was a series of "micro-tortures," getting out of a car being the worst. I remember that so clearly; another pre-replacement memory for me was one fall day when my bf and I were walking in a gorgeous park (see image) and after 15 minutes, I started to tear up, the pain was so bad as I limped along. What a difference.

I can relate to this as well.....the "micro-tortures " is a great way to describe those presurgery days. I was with my son and daughter-in-law on a 3 week trip to Europe...lots of walking and while a trip of a lifetime, it also was a "series of micro-tortures". We were in Montenegro where my ancestors were from, visiting the Ostrog Monastery near their birthplace. It is a famous site where people come from all over to make a pilgrimage to the monastery on top. You walk up many old, worn, steep steps---about 2 miles up. It was important to me to try it, and my kids were so patient and supportive. When I got to the top, I broke down in tears....I'd like to say it was all because I had made it, but the truth was I also cried because of the excruciating pain, and the knowledge that we had a week left to travel in Greece, and I felt so miserable. It was both a high point, and a low point.

have to admit it still weirds me out that my right (operated side) thigh still is numb in places, and just feels "odd" when I rub lotion onto my leg or have an itch to scratch. At 6 months out, I often wonder how much it will improve. It covers an area about 2" x 6" so it's not a tiny spot. Oh well...numb and weird beats pain

That is a tiny area indeed. With me it’s most of the whole outer thigh. But I agree; it’s no big thing.

I’m know what you mean about a lovely activity having that arthritis pain attached to it. I hope my “micro-torture” friend gets her surgery before too long. I told her about BoneSmart.

I can’t say I race up the stairs, but I’m glad I have to go up and down them all the time! And I’m surprised at how fast I am generally, moving around the house as well as out walking. I have long legs and my long stride is returning.

I’d forgotten that our surgeries were less than a week apart. I was stoked about mine, just nervous re the details for afterwards, injecting myself for 2 weeks, getting on and off the couch where I’d be sleeping (and sleeping and sleeping ...) I still can’t believe how quick the procedure was. I asked when I was back in my hospital room and they told me 90 minutes. 2nd hip was a bit longer.

I am carrying around a bag of lily’s Choc chips when I travel. They are sweetened with stevia.

@EL11 ---I just analyzed my numb area and it is broader than I thought it was...typically I only touch the area closest to the incision. With a highly scientific (insert hahahaha here) process, I did a "numbness check" to confirm this!:heehee:

I forgot that you had two replacements in a short period of time. Did you find the recovery process/order of symptoms to be similar between the two or not really?

@EL11 ---I just analyzed my numb area and it is broader than I thought it was...typically I only touch the area closest to the incision. With a highly scientific (insert hahahaha here) process, I did a "numbness check" to confirm this!:heehee:

I forgot that you had two replacements in a short period of time. Did you find the recovery process/order of symptoms to be similar between the two or not really?
The pain after the second operation was sharper and I wound up staying on opioids longer, though the right hip, which I had done first, was in worse shape. I'd say the numb area goes 2/3 of the ay to my knew on both sides.

Perfect illustration of not only how different people are in comparison to each other in this recovery, but also the variability within an individual!:) :-) (: I’d think that could be a bit disconcerting to go into it with a sense of a certain timing/experience from before, and then have to adjust to the differences.

My main adjustment was dealing with my expectations the first few days versus the reality.....I was in a lot more pain than I had expected to be. After those first few days it feel like pretty smooth sailing!

Hi @EL11
I read elsewhere you took a tumble in the snow on Wednesday. I hope the snow buffered the fall and you're doing okay today. I recall your driveway slip not long ago and am dreading a fall, myself. I'm sure it's enevitable at some point. Just wanted to check in and make sure you're okay.
Good Luck with the move, hope you love your new home!
A great weekend to you....try to stay upright :heehee:

Hi @EL11
I read elsewhere you took a tumble in the snow on Wednesday. I hope the snow buffered the fall and you're doing okay today. I recall your driveway slip not long ago and am dreading a fall, myself. I'm sure it's enevitable at some point. Just wanted to check in and make sure you're okay.
Good Luck with the move, hope you love your new home!
A great weekend to you....try to stay upright :heehee:
Hey @Layla ... appreciate the way you look after us! I tripped over a parking barricade buried in the snow, fell forward, soft landing, no pain in my hips but I wasn't wearing gloves and my hands felt frozen for a few minutes afterwards.

I am furiously unpacking and working with the handyman to get stuff on the alls over the next three days. I like my new place and will be reunited with Albert Monday!

@EL11---I also read a couple days ago about your fall, and something you said really resonated with me. It was the fact that when you went down, you weren't freaking out over your hip.....that it now felt so natural that your first thought wasn't about it. I haven't had a fall yet (fingers crossed---lots of snow and ice yet to come this winter), but I have found myself so many times completely forgetting I even had the hip replaced. Such a great feeling, isn't it?!?!:loveshwr: (And I'm also really glad you didn't hurt something, because "snow falls" are so unpredictable!)

@EL11---I also read a couple days ago about your fall, and something you said really resonated with me. It was the fact that when you went down, you weren't freaking out over your hip.....that it now felt so natural that your first thought wasn't about it. I haven't had a fall yet (fingers crossed---lots of snow and ice yet to come this winter), but I have found myself so many times completely forgetting I even had the hip replaced. Such a great feeling, isn't it?!?!:loveshwr: (And I'm also really glad you didn't hurt something, because "snow falls" are so unpredictable!)

@Debru4 , it is a great feeling and I'm glad you're able to experience it now!

I haven't wanted or needed ice for weeks, and yesterday I was moving boxes, though I know to take it easy if something's too heavy of course. I did take Tylenol just now, not specifically for aching hips but a "global" achiness from the moving added, to my having come down with a cold when I arrived in Rochester, probably not unrelated to the stress of moving.

I don't have pain any more but the stiffness is annoying. However, I got up from a chair this morning without using my arms and thought "now that is progress! Glad you did not suffer from the fall and your progress is great!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom