THR Two New Hips in Six Weeks

@lovestars--- What I meant by my comment was that even if I didn't get a bit better than I was right now, I'd be happy. I can walk/hike several miles, garden, and pretty much do everything I could before my hip went bad----I think the word "stuck" was perhaps confusing?!?! I have chosen not to do formal weight lifting/exercise classes yet because I feel pretty fit without them. And yes....ICE is definitely my go to remedy for those rare times something feels off! Hope this makes more sense now?:) :-) (:

No problemo @lovesstars; I just iced and elevated for a bit before turning in even though I am not currently sore at all!

Great report, @SurreyGirl.

That getting-up method sounds good, @Debru4 ...

I was going to go to the gym today but settled for a walk in the toasty 33 degree weather. 20s with wind chill.

@EL11 hahaha — I have adjusted to 20’s...I know that the below-zero temps are coming eventually...

Last edited:
@lovesstars, I do have Netflix, but have not watched Marie Kondo. I did buy the Tidying book, just before packing to leave my apartment. I got to the point of getting rid of all the clothing that did not "spark joy," first laying everything I owned over every inch of floor space and the rest on the bed, sofa etc.—resulting in my having an astonishingly small wardrobe for a grown woman :D I never quite embraced the concept of standing my rolled sweaters on end like jelly rolls in the drawer, and I still do my socks the usual way, though Marie says they don't like it and want to be folded ....

Yeah @Layla, the funny thing is that I told my bf, who is a doctor and the least woo-woo person alive , that the socks didn’t like being stretched, and he said “I know.” Kidding or vibing with the socks, I do not know. :chinstroke:

I'll look her up. I've heard of her.
In my personal life, I am for editing periodically and I get the concept of "if it brings you joy" only to a point. I think more along the lines of donate this, toss this, it's seen better days, no longer functional, or I'm tired of, or bored with it. Good job for recovering hippy's ....go through closets / drawers and make piles for your partner to donate, give or toss. New hip, new life, clean living space. :heehee:

I did WAY too much today, doing all “that”...and working.
But my joy is sparked.
R came home, saw bags by the front door and said “hm— I am guessing you did WAY too much today.”
:rofsign::rotfl::rofsign::rotfl:

And yes, @EL11, I had a modest wardrobe already.
But now I have fewer socks, for sure.

And — I STILL CANNOT WEAR MOST OF MY SHOES FROM SWOLLEN FEET.
I let go of many.
The grizzly bear pajama bottoms I wore home from the hospital are in the giveaway pile.
They don’t spark joy — only anxiety. :yikes::yikes::yikes:

Yes @lovesstars , let me know if the Luna/aceto cocktail works for you, if that’s what you do ... I have mine right here, about to watch some more phone TV and it’s a little early. I took extra-strength Tylenol before the gym today, then nothing, since I’m taking the stronger at night. I was going to walk out to the UPS store later too, but the wind was really kicking up, brr.

You have had swollen feet ever since the operation? Is this a common issue for people post-op?

Yes, ever since the surgery, @EL11 . My PT said it could be June before they are better....just recently suggested that I wear compression socks when I am on my feet a bunch (ahem, working, etc.)

@Layla , @Mojo333 ....you wanna weigh in on this?

Don't know about the swollen feet, but I think once one gets some energy back post op, the urge to purge is something I've definitely been feeling!

I am Marie Kondo's worst nightmare---way too many things make me happy and spark joy---I am an archivist, a collector of people, stories, and things.....I do eliminate some things, but using the "spark joy" test doesn't work that well.

I envy those who find it an easy process.....when I try I end up reliving all the associated positive feelings and memories associated with the item, and often waste a whole lot of time.

So instead of being productive while recovering as so many of you have, I have started lots of new projects. Being the creative random sort that I am, I probably should say that I have started many new projects that also may end up unfinished.

But back to Marie Condo---the only things I have been able to easily adopt from her are those folding methods---definitely space savers, and nice to be able to see everything in your drawers.:yahoo:

@lovesstars---I bought a couple pair of fun compression socks to wear when I traveled to Europe prior to my hip surgery. They were way too heavy duty and I hated them. But recently at Kohl's I found a pair in the regular sock department that are wonderful. They compress, but not in a painful way. Mine are a navy blue knee high and I plan to go back and by another pair. They look like regular socks. I've been wearing them when I hike, take long walks, or have a long day out running errands/walking in stores. They really help!

I didn't have problems with swelling in my feet for very long but your PT is right - compression stockings increase circulation can keep your legs from getting tired and achy. They can also ease swelling in your feet and ankles as well as help prevent and treat spider and varicose veins. Mild compression is best..
Not painfully tight and no folds to bind.
Worth A try!

Last edited:
I never did have any noticeable swelling, but I feel like the compression socks feel good on my leg, and keep it from aching if I am on my feet a long time.

Kind of reminds me of those support hose --I remember accidentally buying a pair long ago when you'd never wear a dress without nylons. I couldn't figure out what was going on with them until I reread the package and saw the name-haha!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back