THR Two New Hips in Six Weeks

I'm sure you questioned it because it's an annoyance. At least I felt that way. Didn't like that stuff.
But we know it's for a good purpose. I'm a pretty good rule follower, most often. In this instance I was because I always thought if I didn't take what my OS and his team advised seriously, and then had an adverse reaction because of it, I'd kick myself! I'm sure you feel the same, or you wouldn't have bothered.
You're almost there, your eeking your way to the finish line :yes!: :yay:
@EL11

I'm a pretty good rule follower, most often. In this instance I was because I always thought if I didn't take what my OS and his team advised seriously, and then had an adverse reaction because of it, I'd kick myself! I'm sure you feel the same, or you wouldn't have bothered.

Exactly. It must have been 20 years ago when a dental hygienist said to me, "Your gums are the gateway to your heart," or WTTE, and I've taken flossing a lot more seriously since that time. I remember seeing a simulation of what sun exposure does to the layers of your skin, and I started wearing sunscreen even in the torrential rain :D

Yep, eking my way, one task at a time, enough food on hand.

(Has anyone seriously started buying prunes more often since the name was changed to "dried plums?" Like there was a social stigma in the checkout line?)

:hi:Thinking of you and wishing you all the place of mind that is possible the day before...
Last one...and Done!:yahoo:
Healing hugs in advance!

Hey @EL11 I am thinking you might be in recovery long about now. We are thinking of you and hope everything has gone so so smoothly! :loll::loveshwr::flwrysmile:

(And yes, three bags of dried plums in my pantry right now)

Thinking of you.
Hoping you're iced up and resting comfortably by now :sleep:
Best wishes for a peaceful evening.
@EL11

Hi folks!

Went well! I am in my room. Boyfriend just came by, Hip pain zero, feeling very relaxed and slightly stoned.

Thanks for checking on me.

❤️

I spoke too soon. Pain a 6, and the ice packs here are not as serious as I’d like. Ow ... I just got some more meds.

So nice to read your first post this morning, your second, not so much. Aww, so sorry.
I hope your pain was better managed during the overnight and continues to be today.
Such a relief having surgery in the rear view!
I hope your day is peaceful and as pain free as possible. Wishing a cozy nap for you :yawn: :sleep:
@EL11

Thanks @Layla! I did my session with the PT here and am cleared to go. Walking hurt quite a bit but I’ll be all set up with meds, ice, foam wedge etc.

There’s quite a storm outside and I’m not planning to leave for 3-4 hours, meaning I can have a delicious hospital lunch, yum ...

A huge relief indeed. I’m excited to move on. The doc who visited today, said that the OS indicated all went as expected, hips nicely matched.

Hope to hear from you dry and well-medicated and iced from your couch!

Thanks so much @lovesstars !

90 minutes till pickup. I still need to see the occupational therapist, and the sign-out nurse is checking about whether Tylenol should have been added to my meds list.

My roommate is a doll. She’s here for colitis. 93, widowed, very sharp, laughs a lot and has a wonderful attitude considering that she can scarcely tolerate solid food.

The staff are great and I try to show my appreciation.

Will check in from the couch and see how everyone is progressing!

Hi Hipsters,

That was a long day. I waited forever for the other therapist and for the PCA to come help me get dressed. finally just did it myself, yes I know that was Bad. Our handyman/catsitter/friend was hanging around all afternoon for me to give him the go-ahead to come and get me. My boyfriend had something of an anxiety attack on the phone because I told him I was in more pain than last time and he's working 12-hour days this week.

I finally got home. BF arrived an hour later, was very relieved to see how well I was getting around on the walker, and swears I'm doing better than I was with the first hip. One of the nurses had speculated that I had amnesia about how much it hurt before.

Oxycodone, memory foam wedge, ice pillow, Bose headphones, good coffee set up for morning. On we go. Will check in again tomorrow when I'm more alert. Thanks everyone.

Great news! I'm glad you're home. You'll rest so much easier without the interruptions.
I hope your pain is well controlled and your sleep sweet :sleep:
Sending a hug and wishes for your comfort.
@EL11

Good Morning,
Wondering how your first night at home went, your pain level, your sleep?
Hopefully you were comfortable enough to get some sleep.
Best wishes for a day of rest and well controlled pain.
:ice: < My best recovery friend. Oh, and hubby too...when I needed something :heehee:
Thankfully, he was awesome. Can't complain. I was fearful, didn't know if he'd be an angel or if my early dependence would turn him into Nurse Ratched, lol.
@EL11

Hi, @Layla -

Thanks for checking!Pain level was not great. I'm pretty sure I did not reach for the Oxy every four hours last time, but it sure does knock me out, so I got lots of sleep. Albert was meowing desperately for some time before the sitter came and let him out of his little room to come downstairs and situate himself on the couch. Hanging with mom on the couch is Albert's favorite thing ..

I seem to remember that the first three days were bad last time.

Attachments

• Albert-lap-couch.jpg
    Albert-lap-couch.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 123
Aww, sorry you're hurting. Hopefully it's shorlived for your sake and cute little Albert's too.
Wishing you comfort :console2:
@EL11

Yesterday, I saw the physical therapist and the intake nurse. The PT said my range of motion was better than expected. We tried the stairs, no go because my right side is not ready to be my "good" leg. She timed me from a sitting position going across the room and back, which was novel,and I did well :) I got my exercises, dialing back to the basic ones again. She said the initial stabbing pain when they first got me up and walking after my surgery, might have been the nerve block wearing off.

The nurse came right afterwards. I told him I seemed to be requiring more Oxycodone than last time but knew it helped me to get enough sleep. He said yes, and for the PT. As soon as they call and say they're coming, he said, take two. I looked at my bottle later and saw there were 30, which at the rate I'm going will mean they'll be used up in <a week. Last night, though, I slept through the night without needing another dose. I'll see how it goes and for sure call the OS if I need more. This nurse also recommended that the nurse who comes tomorrow, check my dressing and take it off if appropriate; he said the incision would do well exposed to air and that the cold packs would reach it better.

I meditate, and yesterday I had this revelation when doing so, that tied into something we were talking about in another thread—about committing to participating in life by taking the step to have surgery. I suddenly realized, in a visceral way without thinking about it per se, how much of my "bandwidth" had been taken up by having this inflammation in my hips all the time. I don't mean to sound all Pollyanna because there are ups and downs of course, but at that moment I was not in any significant pain, and felt this incredible sense of freedom—"It's gone."

Thanks again everyone for the feedback and for sharing your own stories. It's nice to be able to help one's comrades in joint replacement. It is a very specific type of experience that only those who've gone through it can fully understand, and appreciate hearing about in detail that might be TMI for loved ones, much as they care. I was looking for a forum like this for literally the whole three months between scheduling and the procedure ... Thanks @Layla @Mojo333 @lovesstars @An54 @ladylorn and the other posters in my thread for the ongoing good vibes.

OK one last thing about me me me ... I'm trying to take advantage of the fact that I'm not as hungry as usual, to eat more carefully rather than compulsively snacking. I'm on the borderline of being overweight, although if I come out of this an inch taller I get to add another 3-4 pounds, right?! Yes!!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom