THR Two New Hips in Six Weeks

OK, thank you @Layla ... I'll go with

Two New Hips in Six Weeks

Hugs back,

Lorraine

Hi, @EL11 , was just checking on your progress - you're getting so close to your second date!! Wondering how the pre-op hip is doing now: I remember mine becoming more problematic the closer I got to my date (and it was the "good" one prior to my first replacement - aka, the better of two bad situations!), with fewer decent days. Having seen that you're taking 20-30 minute walks, I'm guessing it decided to behave itself 'til surgery time!

Hope you're doing well; excited for you to get that second hip done so that you can get on with living to the fullest!!

Hey @ladylorn, thanks for checking on me and for being excited!

I got the right hip done first although the left hurt worse. The right was really bone on bone, I was told, and used to catch sometimes when I climbed stairs, so I figured it was best. Yeah, like with your story, hip #2 has been acting up more the last week or so, though I can walk without a crutch and with no limp ... barely. I wake up with both sides aching during the night. Not as often though.

Hope you're doing well yourself. I'm curious as to what it's like for you, 6 months/10 weeks after. I'm going to check your posts!

I just saw your post on tictac's page. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, @EL11; a new hip is a wonderful gift to give yourself:loveshwr::loveshwr:!!!!!

I'm grateful that I wasn't in denial - I knew something was terribly wrong. It was the doctors who seemed to be living in Egypt (de land of De Nile... get it??? Yep, I'm corny. :rotfl:). Then again, as I said in my post today, I'd been functioning for far longer than I'd realized, in far more pain than I'd allowed myself to think about.

If that ain't denial, what is, eh? :umm:

Wishing you a wonderful day, and an even better decade than the last!!! :hugzz:

@ladylorn it is a great gift indeed!

The bad hip is really acting up this afternoon. Soon to be fixed, whew.

It's too bad about the doctors, but good for you for persisting.

Thanks for the good wishes :)

Yesterday was the 6-week mark. I still slept fitfully, but once I got up and had coffee and Advil and Tylenol I felt up to walking to the supermarket (I Uber home). For me, a 20-minute walk with no crutch. I stopped midway through and rested on a park bench, but it was OK. Iced both sides when I returned.

Starting tomorrow, no more ibuprofen for the 5 days before surgery. I get to start using some of my multi-lifetime supply of surgical soap in the shower twice a day. The arthritic hip definitely hurts more now. Monday that pain will be gone!

Two new hips...temporary recovery annoyances...and then life with no hip pain:yes!:

Just think how much better you'll be feeling by the holidays. I'm excited for you!
Once you know that pain and those limitations firsthand you're so much happier for others to lose the
pain and move forward in life. Only 5 more sleeps :sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep:
@EL11

@Alitm Thank you and OMG, bilateral in 2 days for you? Wow!! I will keep up with your progress!

@EL11 I'm impressed! Your recovery is awesome. And now going in for the 2nd - wow. I am having a revision 2 days after you on the 19th. I'll be following your progress. Best of luck on the 17th.

@Hipster63 Best wishes! I will follow your progress too, and am keeping good thoughts for a perfect outcome.

Just posted in pre-op. Gear change going here. Just met with surgeon, and for a couple of medical reasons, we are going to do hips one at a time, eight weeks apart...and use the posterior approach.

:hi:Hope you have a good weekend and do something distracting and fun.
Get some fresh air!

Good Morning,
Wishing you a peaceful weekend. Last one with the nasty hip pain.
You've got the drill down now. You're going to do great!
Big hugs :friends:
@EL11

Thanks, @Layla. I'm getting everything in place at home, Yesterday I walked to the post office, which involved some uneven ground, and the bad hip and my lower back were killing me. I was so happy to get my task done, Uber home and ice. I slept horribly last night. The new/right hip hurt a bit too, no surprise. The surgeon told me not to expect my back problems to abate until I'd had both done. I also have a little scoliosis, per two of my PTs.

Try a heating pad on your left hip over the weekend if you haven't yet.
I apologize if it's been mentioned here before, I'd look but need to log off in a sec.
It did bring me a bit of relief in the last weeks before surgery. It's comforting even if it doesn't fully
relieve the pain.
@EL11

@Layla, you did but it's worth repeating, thanks. I think I have a microwavable one somewhere but the plug-in one is probably what you mean.

Thinking of you today. I hope you eventually got some sleep last night.
Read your account of how you were trying to get to bed and having difficulty. (lovesstars thread, I believe)
Comedy of Errors :heehee: I couldn't help but laugh and then on top of it all forgetting the Hibiclens shower.
Wishing you a peaceful day and comfort as you await your big day tomorrow.
Big hugs!
@EL11

Thanks, @Layla, you are a gem. I did eventually drop off. It's amazing how sore I get at night and how at this point it all but disappears when I have coffee and Tylenol and walk around a bit.

I know, I spent 15 minutes asking myself the unanswerable question, Am I really going to get an infection and ruin my new hip if I only applied the Hibiclens once today rather than twice?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
iriswest
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom