THR Two legs to stand on

Sloth

Country
United States United States
I had my hip surgery on 9/12/23. I am so happy to have that behind me and hat all went well. I had a spinal which I do feel was much better for me than general. I felt better faster. I wasn’t able to get up to walk that day because no one was comfortable with me being an above the knee amputee and didn’t know how to assist me with putting my prosthetic leg on. I had to wait for Pts to come the next morning. I was still able to leave that afternoon. It does feel better to heal at home. I am dealing with expected pain from surgery but the arthritis pain is definitely gone!
I am probably a bit more tired than some of you might be because my husband had a double knee replacement 6 days after my surgery, so needless to say, we are both recovering together. Thanks to a ton of help from my local son, we are working on healing.

@Sloth Bravo to you and your husband!! It is wonderful to hear you are home and doing well. And how very fortunate you are to have your son close by!

Here's the BoneSmart post op list of articles and helpful suggestions:

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website
Oral And Intravenous Pain Medications
Wound Care In Hospital

The Recovery articles:
Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

So pleased to hear that your surgery went well and that you are back home again - welcome to the other side :wave:

I will say that nights are not as much fun, but I assume that eventually we will sleep through the night or at least a few concentrated hours.

Oh my goodness! You two are brave taking on these major surgeries so close in date and now recovering together. I wish you each only the best.
Keep us posted!
@Sloth

@Sloth So pleased to read that your surgery went well.. congrats! You and your husband surely do have your hands full but it will get better. I hope you can overlook things becoming cluttered or whatever and just rest and recover. That was one of the hardest lessons to learn, myself.

Thank you for that reminder. At this time neither of us care much, but in the days to come I will have to remember to ignore things.

Happy One Month Anniversary!
Please let us know how your recovery is progressing next time you're around.
Hope to hear from you soon. :)
@Sloth

Nice to be checked in on. Thanks. I am progressing pretty well. I have healed quite well. I cant believe how small the incision is! It is still a bit itchy and I know that tissue is still healing. I am so happy not to have the pain from arthritis. I didn’t realize how bad it really was and how it limited me. I find myself getting fatigued, so I enjoy naps. PT has helped but I feel most of my improvement will be daily movement in normal activities for me. I am using 2 canes because as an above amputee on the opposite leg, I feel nervous about balance. It will get better as I rebuild core strength.

I wanted to mention that after my hip replacement my hip area felt like I had a large cell phone in my front pocket that I forgot to remove before I sat down. I was also aware of a mechanical feeling as I moved my leg in certain positions. Luckily, as the days passed, the cell phone feeling felt smaller and the mechanical feeling went away. So obviously with time things improve and moving naturally becomes second nature.

Wonderful updates! That is a good description about the feeling of a cell phone in your front pocket.
you choice of using two canes makes perfect sense as an amputee, in fact I loved using two canes for myself.

So happy to read about your progress.

Nice to be checked in on. Thanks. I am progressing pretty well. I have healed quite well. I cant believe how small the incision is! It is still a bit itchy and I know that tissue is still healing. I am so happy not to have the pain from arthritis. I didn’t realize how bad it really was and how it limited me. I find myself getting fatigued, so I enjoy naps. PT has helped but I feel most of my improvement will be daily movement in normal activities for me. I am using 2 canes because as an above amputee on the opposite leg, I feel nervous about balance. It will get better as I rebuild core strength.
i’m still using 2 canes one month out. it feels more stable as i’m also paranoid if falling!

Welcome, and boy that's a lot going on in your life!
I'd continue to use two canes for balance, better than falling.
Naps are great and sleep when you can, your body is healing, I had posterior approach and yes, feels like you are sitting on a brick when you first start sitting down.
I said my favorite position in early days was standing or laying down, sitting for any length of time was uncomfortable.
We are here to support you so keep on posting with your journey.

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
How are you doing? Please let us know, we'd love to hear.
I hope you have a nice week! @Sloth

I am happy to have 2 months under my belt. My hip is doing great. I am happy with how the entire procedure went. I really didn't realize how much pain i was in. I can do most normal daily activities now. I am still using 2 canes or my rollator around the house to make it easier to carry things since I am an above the knee amputee on the opposite side. I am building back strength , balance and confidence since I relied on the rollator for almost 5 years.

Glad to read that your hip is healing well, @Sloth, and that you are back to your daily activities. Keep moving; the strength and balance will come with time.
:flwrysmile:

Oh my goodness @Sloth , just read your thread and I am in awe of how you and your husband have managed to do this at the same time . My brother in law had both knees replaced in tandem , and as he was living by himself , it seemed to be a total nightmare trying to get the help he needed, when he needed it. Your son must be an absolute star!
Hope you both continue to make good progress as your strength improves and you resume normal life.

It sounds like you're doing really well. Thanks for the update, Sloth.
I hope you have a great Wednesday and a Happy Thanksgiving!
@Sloth

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Ski comfort
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom