• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

[THR] Two hips done - Zauberflote's Hippaversaries!

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
Barre is getting popular here in the UK with a lot of clubs running classes
I believe it's enjoying a resurgence here also @HertsHippy . Most likely everywhere as we all so interconnected with social media these days. Everything old is new again, right? I always thought it was for ballerinas, never paying much attention. Shows you how much I know about it. Watching a video it looked like something I'd enjoy.

OP
OP
zauberflöte

zauberflöte

alpha
Country
@Barbaraj go for it! There are no hip-awkward contortions in my class anyway. I did have trouble with pain while lying sideways on a thin mat, but it has gone away, thankfully! I find that despite the constant half-plié while on relevé hurts the knees and then strengthens them. Who knew!

I take that back. Teacher is of course fond of splits in the stretch section, and since I will never do a split again (lost that ability at about 18, having gained it at 15 lol), I don't have to worry about the anterior dislocation factor...

So keep me posted when the first 5 classes absolutely slay you (well ok, I was in terrible shape and you aren't) but 10 classes in you find yourself doing not the easy adaptation, but the medium-easy one!

And @Layla your post suddenly appeared! Yes, we can have a barre club! Actually I'm not sure it was invented for ballerinas. Some of the ballet company trainees (an official designation which can lead to apprenticeship) took a couple of classes and found them difficult.

Last edited:

Barbaraj

supremo
Country
At this point being able to walk "normally" up the stairs will be the next big step, @zauberflöte! Classes of any sort seem hopelessly far away, but definitely a goal to keep in mind. Still can't believe Barre classes wouldn't hideously stress your hips but you are clearly living proof that they can work for recovered hipsters. And while I'm not in terrible shape, I've certainly got tons of room for improvement. And I was never, ever able to do the splits! I took gymnastics in high school (back when dinosaurs roamed the earth) although at 5'8-1/2" it wasn't exactly a sport designed for the likes of me--and I wasn't very good. Tried to do the splits but never could get all the way down. If I can get my hamstrings working properly someday I'll be thrilled with that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
zauberflöte

zauberflöte

alpha
Country
@Barbaraj well yes, your recent hip is still a baby isn't it! So, wait a year. Splits are sooooo not required! In most classes, the teacher is the only one actually doing a proper split. I am reaching the limits of my comfort zone regarding weight-bearing back leg extension, and while it feels great on the flexors, I don't want to push my luck! I was told "no activity restrictions" for my second hip, but the PA on each hip said that the dangerous position as far as dislocation risk went was, essentially, a front-back split turned in. I think I'd only get into that position from some hideous accident in which dislocation might be the least of my problems. :yikes:

Barbaraj

supremo
Country
Before surgery, @zauberflote, I was still attempting (badly but still trying) to do hip flexor exercises which involved back leg extensions (not splits!) just to remind those muscles that after I recovered from surgery I was coming for them! I don't have any restrictions either, just the "don't do anything stupid and if it hurts, stop" so I'm being a good patient and waiting until 6 weeks when it's back to PT for me. And I love PT. I have a "teacher's pet" approach and try to work with them during PT sessions and conscientiously do the required exercises at home, too. I got PT exercises from some 12 year old PT guy at the hospital but somehow I left--gosh, how did that happen--his sheet of instructions buried under my hospital sheets. Much as I'll enjoy getting back to that at 6 weeks, no way would I be attempting anything beforehand.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Actually I'm not sure it was invented for ballerinas.
In the little I read, I'm gathering it was. Guess it doesn't matter. It either interests you, or it doesn't. I know I won't be wearing a tutu when / if I try it. Unless of course you join me in wearing one also :wink:
@zauberflöte

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Beezel
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom