• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

[THR] Two hips done - Zauberflote's Hippaversaries!

zauberflöte

alpha
Country
United States United States
disclaimer: I didn't do a true bilateral as mu friend @Mojo333 did (and hippy happaversary there girl!) but they are both done. And @Layla too!
Just an update on what my hips have been up to...
#1 turned 6 last month. #2 turns two next week. What pain I have is self-inflicted.....
about a year ago I got the Fear of Diabetes scared into me, went on a Very Low (Net for Americans) Carb way of eating. I weigh less than I did at my wedding, and lost 2-3 sizes, but everything is 6 inches south of where it was 45 years ago. The change in size and energy level made me want to shake up my exercise routine.
I had a dream, between hips, that once I had no more OA pain I might try ballet classes again. On the eve of my 67th birthday, last January, I did just that. Oh my how the body goes to pot. But even at this age it can be improved. It can even be coaxed into doing some little jumps!
I learned of the exercise class called Barre. Now that is addictive!! So here I am, growing muscles, developing balance improvement, and signing up for 4 classes a week. Having the time of my life and hoping to continue doing so for a good while.
I hope all are doing well!! Check in here if you have time

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
:roseshwr:
I'm so happy to see you on the forum, @zauberflöte and - oh my stars - how inspirational!
Perfect timing too as I am attempting to lose some weight as I have gained almost 20 lbs since my surgery. I know my hips will like it if I lost some as it's all "behind" me now.:umm:
I had a dream, between hips, that once I had no more OA pain I might try ballet classes again.
I could swear I remember you mentioning this (or I dreamed it) but in any case, wonderful on you for going for it and for being healthy and happy.
Really really happy for you.

OP
OP
zauberflöte

zauberflöte

alpha
Country
Hey @Mojo333 you are right, I had mentioned ballet!
I gained 20 between hips and didn't like it. This new shape is giving me a serious case of the vanities, which I don't like either, but what I have liked is finding another relevant forum just as fun as here! Also.... clothes shopping....wheeeeee!!!!
How is your work? I am as usual stressing about one concert or another and loving the playing. Bought a little Celtic harp and may go into therapeutic music as my encore career. My mom loves it already.
All ain't perfect in hip land. Pretty sure I have a little bursitis on both sides. And... I attempted the breast stroke a few weeks ago and was shocked at the groin pain! It is probably as a result of working the turnout too hard in ballet and barre. Barre caused ballet to be less painful on the soft tissues, but I expect that any activity has its own set of "soft tissue issues". I think of those who went back to their horses (help me out here, mom's dementia forgetfulness is contagious!!) and hope they are doing well!
Happy day to all!!!

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hello, friend of old! :wave: Well it's not been that long but kind of feels like it.
Happy Anniversary to you on those two hips! I just passed my two year also as you know because we were in recovery together. Our old gang of Mojo, GrannyC, MAGS, Dougie, CPollack, just to mention a handful. Sweet memories and lots of laughs for sure.

Congrats on the weight loss, smart move heeding the warning and gaining a new bod and clothes in the process. Wonderfull news! Celtic harp sounds lovely, I can only imagine. Sorry to hear you have a little bursitis on both sides but it's definitely not holding you back. You sound wonderful and it's so nice to hear from you.
Take care, enjoy the Summer and don't be a stranger. :wink:
@zauberflöte

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
I love you, a born again ballerina with a Celtic harp...who would've thunk it?

I'm still feeding the hungry and hips are all good.
Must reinvent myself also with my upcoming weightloss... however since I'm klutzy and not so musically inclined...thinking:chinstroke:..
Professional hopscotcher with a tamborine.:wink:

OP
OP
zauberflöte

zauberflöte

alpha
Country
@CricketHip thanks for dropping in! :wave:you are only a few weeks out-- give it a few more months and you can start investigating barre classes in your area. My #2 was such an easy recovery compared to #1 that I probably could have done short, adapted moves from barre at maybe 4-6 months. That's all I did at the beginning this spring anyway, being old and decrepit lol. Where there's a will, there's a way, so I say give yourself a Christmas present of barre! I have found that the signature position my teacher uses has done wonders for my knee pain as well. Once I strengthened up a bit that is. Then, you know, one ballet class undoes all that. Arggh. I Do Not want to find myself in need of knees....

Hey @Layla thanks for stopping in!! How are you? :wave::loveshwr:

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hi again @zauberflöte
I'm doing well, thanks for asking. Spending quite a bit of time with my granddaughter while she's on Summer vacation and trying to stay cool. A few hot ones on tap over the next few days so we'll be going from AC at home, to AC in the car, to a place with AC. Possibly another movie day? Even though we already had one this week Toy Story 4. While it was very cute, my preference was Aladdin with real people as actors, lol. Maybe I'll get my way today, then again, maybe not.
Enjoy your day and stay cool!

OP
OP
zauberflöte

zauberflöte

alpha
Country
@Layla DGD is... seven? Wow how kids grow, right?
I'm all for movies. We are having the same heat. My poor sis from upstate NY is coming to visit Mom this weekend... she said, "I don't gave any clothes for that!" I told her we all wore "complaining from indoors" and she should get a very light sweater for the frigid AC.
My hips, although no longer arthritic, predict the weather! But my malfunctioning right S-I joint is the, er, best of the worst at meteorology. I should have it looked at, I really should.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Welcome back @zauberflöte . It's good to hear you're doing so well.

I've had to change your thread prefix from "Bilateral THR" to "THR". I know it sounds picky, but we do reserve the term "Bilateral" for those who had both hips replaced on the same day.

OP
OP
zauberflöte

zauberflöte

alpha
Country
@Celle , I'm glad you did that! And thanks for stopping in

I hadn't seen the prefix choice before (it's been a while!), and wasn't quite sure which was the answer that would turn out to be correct. My "disclaimer" was an attempt to set the record straight. Didn't those prefixes used to be automatic badges?

Barbaraj

supremo
Country
Wow, barre classes, @zauberflöte Even before all this hip nonsense I don't think I'd have attempted one of those classes. But, admittedly, I'm not much of an organized class person. I am a bit of a loner when it comes to exercise, and mostly I've done PT exercises at home (where one can do them in one's underwear) and cardio at a gym on the elliptical or recumbent bike. About a year and a half ago I did start taking Pilates classes, offered through our local parks department, and found those to be wonderful for stretching and building core strength. Of course, both times I've taken the classes it's been before a hip replacement and every week it got harder and harder to do. I stuck with both of them until a few months before surgery knowing I'd waste money if I signed up for the next sessions. I'd like to get back to it at some point, but right now, despite a great recovery (as was hip #1) I am thinking I'll probably need to wait for the winter session before I try again. Must be wonderful to be done with hips, fully bionic now, and really seeing if you can stretch yourself and try activities that before you'd have dismissed before hip problems. Glad you're doing so well, and I'm gonna be you one day!

OP
OP
zauberflöte

zauberflöte

alpha
Country
@Barbaraj well, I'm not sure I'd do Pilates, so we're about even. I don't know much about it, but I think it would be harder than barre. My teacher is a retired principal dancer of the local company, and knows her stuff. She spends more time than most (she said) away from the barre, balancing on relevé working non-leg parts. The balance work has done me worlds of good. I had a very painful fall in May that landed me in the bathtub on my coxxyx, wailing. (No damage to spine. Or hips. The bruise on my tailbone was breathtakingly painful!. ) It was caused by my vestibular migraine giving me a spin while I had one leg up on the vanity applying lotion. I'd always felt slightly precarious in that position. I no longer feel precarious, although I still remain hyper-alert.

I agree with you-- go back to Pilates (gently!) this winter. You will be glad of it, and start to feel like you're testing your abilities. And yep, another couple of years and you'll be even better. I have found, as some others do, that recovery doesn't stop at 12 months. And having the left done improved the right noticeably, which got me all excited!

Ptarmigan

senior
Country
I think it’s the greatest fun to read about your post-hip adventures in barre and ballet! What joy to turn the imagination loose, and think about brand new things to do and learn! Thank you, @zauberflöte for this welcome invitation to daydream...:)

Barbaraj

supremo
Country
I agree with @Ptarmigan, that reading posts from those who are now able to resume doing the things they love is so inspiring! While I realize this forum is super helpful for those who've got all sorts of questions and worries about surgery and recovery, I love reading posts from folks who've fully run the gauntlet and now come back to remind us all that, yes, we're going to get there, too. You are doing wonderfully, @zauberflöte and despite what sounds like an awful fall, you've regained confidence and strength and are clearly moving on. Hurray for you!

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
You have me looking into Barre. I've gone as far as questioning my DIL who has a Yoga studio to possibly consider Barre at the studio. Looks and sounds interesting. Something new and different. Thanks for the idea. I'm going to look into further. :)
@zauberflöte

OP
OP
zauberflöte

zauberflöte

alpha
Country
Glad to be of aid, @Layla , @Barbaraj , and @Ptarmigan ! I really was jazzed by the weight loss that was a side effect of my new way of eating. No longer embarrassed to be in slinky exercise wear. The Barre was an accident! I came for ballet one evening; there was inexplicably no class. Nobody in building it seemed. We waited more than long enough for even a full professor lol, then moved on home. I checked the website, and it was cheerfully advertising that the barre studio had moved to their location, come try 2 free classes!! So I did, and was hooked. Very good teacher. Serendipitous accidents are fun :yes!:

HertsHippy

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I did Barre classes 3-6 months post-op - my Pilates teacher (who was two THRs) recommended it. It was great for one recovering hip and one deteriorating hip. Barre is getting popular here in the UK with a lot of clubs running classes. I also find Pilates very good for my hips - there are many levels so anyone can benefit and good teachers should understand the needs of hippies at various stages of recovery.

Barbaraj

supremo
Country
Hmmm...maybe I'll have to give Barre a chance at some point. It seems like it would be hard on one's hips but sounds like @zauberflöte and @HertsHippy found it helpful. I tried ballet as a youngster but it was an awful experience, as I was the tallest and clumsiest kid in the class--it left a lasting impression of "NOT FOR ME" but I assume Barre is quite different and being graceful and/or coordinated is not a requirement.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
blackbird
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom