THR Tweb's Hip Recovery

FYI I thought I would share that since October I have been taking collagen which I started to help improve skin appearance and elasticity but an added benefit is that I do believe it is helping relieve some of the joint pain!

Hey everyone. Inside a month til my left hip THR. Anyone have any tips and tricks for gadgets etc. this is my 2nd hip so I have the stuff from first one (walker cane toilet riser bath seat sock assist and grabber) but if anyone has any other ideas they would like to share let me know. I remember having some issues getting up from and lying down as well as having trouble getting comfortable enough to sleep.

Several pillows to tuck around you as support in your chair and your bed. Bed pillows, throw pillows, any pillow! The dollar store had a cheap lavender fur body pillow that's been a wonderful aid. I use two regular pillow cases on it to cover it's awesomeness though LOL.

Multiple ice packs so you can keep rotating them and always have a fresh one handy. Definitely second @subie2021 suggestion of lots of pillows!

Hello @Tweb
I agree with the suggestions above, this coming from a pillow fanatic. I found them to be a great comfort, still do. I surrounded myself with them during recovery. They come in handy especially if you’re not normally a back sleeper, which I wasn’t. I found it more comfortable to be able to rest an arm or leg on one for a change.

I second multiple ice packs also. Never running out in case you need one.

Ice Cream comes in handy too, a frequent topic of discussion here. Have some of your fave flavors stashed away. :wink:

Wishing you comfort as you await your date.

My favorite "go to" was my electric lift recliner that I rented from a home health supply company.
I slept in that thing for the first couple of weeks, it was wonderful.. Zero gravity, pockets on each side for anything I wanted tucked close at hand. It was only needed for one month and it was the best money spent, ever.

Hi everyone! About 9 days away from LATHR! I purchased an iceman ice machine with a left hip pad. I’ve heard good things about these machines and my PT recommended it. Got if for $170! He also gave me some strengthening exercises to specifically target the hip to get it in best shape possible ( I was already doing many things but he gave me these in addition to them). Have a great day!

Eighteen more days for me! I found out that my HMO sends all THR patients home with an ice machine, and I get to keep it!

Everyone here says how much they love icing but it just sounds so COLD to me. Brrrr!

At least it's no longer winter.

Only a week to go until you’re a double hippy! You sound so cheerful. I wish I could say I was that chipper one week pre-op, but I’d be lying. I‘m sure there is comfort in knowing the drill through experience and also realizing how wonderful it is to lose the pain of a deteriorating hip. I’m rooting for you! :yes!:
Wishing you lots of comfort as you wait.
@Tweb

@Layla well I have to say I’m putting on a brave face but I must admit I’m a mixture of excitement (to get rid of the pain) and nerves (because I’m
Worried it won’t go as smoothly as first hip). I am dreading the first 7-10 days and the incision pain and other after effects of major surgery. helps!

Your feelings are understandable. Realize though that there is no reason why this recovery has to be more difficult than your first. It may be even easier. If you ice and elevate often, stay comfortably mobile in an effort to avoid stiffness and have good pain control, I’m sure you’ll do well. You know we’ll be right here cheering you on. :wink:
@Tweb

Tomorrow is your big day! I hope you’re ready to roll and have surgery behind you.
We’ll be watching for your first post, once you’re feeling up to it.
Hugs and best wishes!
@Tweb

You got this, Tweb.. wishing the very best for you. :flwrysmile:

Hello fellow hippies! 2 days post op and feeling all the normal pain from major surgery
My hubby says I’m not whining as much about it this time around. (guessing that’s mostly because I knew what to expect) I did have a couple of bouts with nausea more so than first op and also Low BP. They were cautious about sending me home yesterday but it seems to have resolved. Did not sleep well last night. Couldn't get comfortable. Hoping tonight is better.

Attachments

• B575C095-21B2-409C-8D2C-07B73F6DE3C6.jpeg
    B575C095-21B2-409C-8D2C-07B73F6DE3C6.jpeg
    138.4 KB · Views: 80
You look great! Love that t-shirt! :heehee:
You seem in good spirits after a bit of a blip on the screen start.
I’ll leave the Recovery Guidelines as a refresher. You remember the drill, lots of ICE, lots of rest and meds on schedule. I hope today is a good one!

As you begin healing, please keep in mind that each recovery is unique. While the BoneSmart philosophy successfully works for many, there will be exceptions. Between the recommendations found here, your surgeon's recovery protocol and any physical therapy you may engage in, the key is to find what works best for you.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. Here is a week-by-week guide

6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Thank you for these reminders and links. Very helpful reminders! Under the article about the 90 degree rule it refers to some videos but I can’t access them (no hyperlink).

Hmm, interesting. I looked, you’re right!
I did notice it was edited by a Mod almost two years ago, obviously for some reason. I’ll check on it and let you know.
In the interim, if interested, check out YouTube where I’m sure you’ll find multiples to choose from on each topic. Thanks for calling my intention to this. :)
@Tweb

@Tweb....thanks for alerting us to the loss of our video links. I've edited that part of the article out for the time being.

Welcome to the double hippy club! I do envy your level of fitness, which I am sure will help you recover quickly. Not as quickly as you would like, of course, that goes with the territory! But just think what a star you will become with two good hips.

I was anxious before my second op, remembering all the worst bits of the first recovery. But I did find, after a rough few days to start with, that being better prepared made it easier. Also, although one of the things that I was dreading was having to sleep on my back, that was much easier this time. Perhaps because I knew that was how it would be for a while, and so accepted it. And side sleeping came more quickly this time. I hope it will be the same for you.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
shibbard
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom