Revision TKR Turtle's Revision scheduled for July 19, 2016

I had my original TKR just in July 2015 and found out that I needed a revision on 12/31/2015. I had a hard time trying to get myself to finally schedule the revision. I was in pain and I was only getting worse. My anxiety got to such heights I almost talked myself out of doing it at all. Like you I had a different OS this time. I'm now three weeks post op and i would never had dreamed how well I am doing already. The anxiety might have caused me a life of just sitting in a chair watching life go by. Concentrate on what you would like to do after your knee is fixed and strong. Hang in there. Life will get better and you'll be happy had it done!

So good to hear that it gets better still waiting :)

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

My revision is now scheduled for July 19th and I am so looking forward to being on the recovery road. This knee has been hell for most of the last three years and after reading so many posts from those who've had revisions, I've put up with way too much. I was on Medicare Advantage when I had the original TKR but finally switched over to regular Medicare so I can go wherever I want.

Bonesmart has helped me through so much and there are so many amazing people on this Forum. I can't even imagine going through all this pain and having to work, especially those who are nurses with 10 hour days. Part of my pre op at the hospital is to meet with the nurses and I will tell them know in advance how much I appreciate them.

@Josephine could you change the title of my thread to Turtles Revision scheduled for 19 July 2016.

Tis done and your signature is updated too! Hope it all goes well for you.

Dorothy my friend, I hadn't realised you're on BoneSmart again, I'm sorry.

My primary was just after yours and I too put up with things not being right from very early on and rapidly getting worse for the last year until I was back to going upstairs leading with the good leg only, I wasn't going out because my whole leg/hip were so painful they thought I had a hip fracture at one point.

Well I had my revision on Feb 16th, it was only 2 weeks after my final cancer treatment so I wasn't as well as I could have been but this knee is so much better, my hip improved almost overnight, it's so stable. I was on 2 crutches for about 3 weeks then down to one or none inside but 2 for safety outside until 6 weeks and since then I've been walking without aids unless I need the comfort blanket of a stick as I still get very tired but that's cancer-treatment related.

I'm so glad I had it done, I had an excellent consultant.

So I'm wishing you well, keep in touch.

Sue.:friends:

@Dabber Its so good to hear from you and I'm delighted to hear that your knee is improved after revision. I was to the point of not having it done but after talking to my GP who is also a Sports Medicine dr. I decided to get on with it. It just seems like everything comes at once. Like you I've been dealing with a-fib and had a mini-maze surgery in December.

I'm also glad your hip improved and I'm hoping my back does as well. Are you able to do the stairs normally now?Mr TKR leg can't handle much weight bearing exercise so I'm looking forward to being able to walk and exercise again.

Again, it is so good to hear from you and think of you and the others in our little group often.

Please keep in touch

Dorothy

I'm sure you will be much happier after your revision. I am surprised with how well I'm doing. I can walk up two flights of office building steps without problems. Going down is going to take me a bit longer because I haven't been able to do it for years. It's more a fear than a real problem for me now. It's nice to finally not have any pain.

@turtle68 I had to look up mini-maze. As you know I have a pacemaker too, in fact you supported and advised me when I had it put in. It was discovered I had SVT about 18 months ago, catheter ablation was mentioned but fortunately I haven't needed it, I take Beta-blockers now that keep it under control. My pacemaker has virtually taken over, my heart is lazy and doesn't beat without the pacing. My ortho consultant contacted the cardio consultant about the revision surgery and they put a magnet over my heart during the op as the equipment they use can interrupt the pacing. I had a bed reserved in the HDU but everything was fine and I didn't need it.

I can walk downstairs easily but it was always odd I could do that after both surgeries but it takes me longer to do the walking up. I have some exercises from the physio now to strengthen my muscles. In the morning I can manage going up but by evening I can't. It's weight bearing that is still a bit problematic but I'm optomistic it will improve with time. I've had long periods of inactivity with one thing and another. I also put on a lot of weight with steroids I had during my chemo. I'm trying to be more active now and lose it gradually. We're off for a month in France soon.

I think @newlybionic and I have the same revision joint, it's awesome to see on the x-rays!

Sue :friends:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Dorothy

Sending you lots of love and luck on your revision. You'll be glad you've done it. My right knee is amazing now, never thought it would happen xxx

Thank you all for your encouragement. It's been a great help in making this decision to read the threads of yours that have had successful revisions.

Dorothy

I have a question for all you revision experts. We are talking about doing a river cruise, either in France or from Budapest to Bucharest in October. I will be 3 months out so thinking I can do this, with trip insurance of course. Your thoughts?

I'm thinking it would really give me something great to look forward to in my early recovery. We live in an over 55 community in the Houston area where we have access to some of the best medical care in the world and I've been seeing amazing results in the neighbors who've had knee replacement so feeling very optimistic.

I have recovered much faster with m revision than original TKR. For me the first week or two were harde but after that I've been going well. The only thing that I get is more swelling. My OS said I might have it for up to a year. He also recommended using a compression sleeve when walking a lot and continue with ice and elevation.

With the proviso that there's no way to predict accurately, I think a rive cruise would be doable at 3 months out. Do be prepared, though, to be less active than many people on the cruise. Your new knee will still be a toddler and you'll still need to give it plenty of time to rest and elevate.

It's not the cruise ship itself (although I believe that many of them are not designed for disabled people - no elevators, for example). It's the shore days. There can sometimes be a bit of a hike into the town from where the ship is moored. Then, a walking tour of the town is often planned.

Sometimes the river cruise ships are moored side by side to each other, so that you have to pass through several other ships to get to the shore.

You'll have a long flight to think about, too. My OS allowed me to do domestic flights after about 6 weeks, but he preferred my to wait until 4 months before international flights. You should probably ask his advice about this. This article gives you some suggestions:
Flying soon after surgery

Dorothy, since I've had two revisions on the same knee, I can tell you that neither revision hurt as much as the original TKR. I personally think you'll feel fine for the river cruise. I was outside riding a bike at 8 weeks, and volunteering at the Houston Marathon at 10 weeks. On the cruise it will be relaxing for you and you can rest as much as you want.

@RunA42K well the revision TKR is next Tuesday and I keep you and all your positive messages in mind as I go forward. I am having it at Memorial Hermann, Memorial City. I decided not to go further with your OS because of other medical problems and all my Drs since we moved are there. After spending a few weeks being very anxious about the whole thing I am finally at peace and looking forward to recovery, following the Bonnie mantra, never give up keep trying. I'm waiting a couple of weeks for pt, will do gentle exercises, with walking being main exercise. I went to knee class this week and they emphasized the importance of not doing it if it hurts and don't let anyone touch ch your knee excep for you and your dr.

This time next year I'm imaging myself walking that 5 miles most days of the week and just looked ng forward to being active again. And thanks to all Bonesmarties who have been so supportive.

I wish you luck with your surgery. I'm glad that you are at peace and looking forward to it. You will be much happier with a knee that works well for you.

Best wishes Turtle!

@turtle68
Best wishes. I'm infrequently on BoneSmart, but caught your recent post. Hope you are walking that 5 miles next year :)

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back